Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Saturday's Interaction w/ Police

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    John

Sep 2012
    Dayton
    Tesoro Outlaw
    132 times
    Metal Detecting

Saturday's Interaction w/ Police

I ventured out on Saturday to do a little MDing at a local park. I was cool and overcast with an occasional spitting of rain. The park was empty which was nice. I saw a patrol car pull in the lot, drive past me... turn around... stop at my truck... stop and then walk over to where I was. I had checked the city's website for rules against MDing and didn't see anything but I was still a bit nervous.

I had amassed a bag full of junk.. cans, parts of cans, pop tops, pull tabs, nails, screws, and even foil wrappers. The officer comes over and I take off my headphones, smile and wave hello. I said "Hey Officer" and he asks what I'm doing? "So far today it's been cleaning up all this trash" as I hold up my collection. He asked if I had dug all that up? "Yep except for the stuff I found on the surface. But I'm careful about filling the holes and replacing the divots when I dig." He smiled and said I can see that and thanks for pitching in to help.

The rain started a little heavier so I dropped off my trash and called it a day.

us
    I LIKE SHINY THINGS

Apr 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
    556 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    gypsygirl likes this.
    ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR COIL IS ITS HOW YOU SWING IT..

Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a super power

YOUTUBE LINK-http://www.youtube.com/user/shannonjeanne1?feature=mhee

us
    Sep 2012
    Owensville In
    Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
    16 times
    I thought while reading this it would be a bad ending but I was wrong. Nice surprise with an officer stopping and not hassling you. Wish they were all that way to us mding.
    ranger11 likes this.

us
    "John Holmes Jr."

Nov 2011
    French Gulch, North Calif.
    "WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ya Got that Right Dog! (Buddy). it's all in the hunt! Goldentruth
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofadigger View Post
    GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT.. IT CAN HIDE BUT WHEN REAL IT DON'T LIE!
    My Mama Never raised No Fool... I Was Adopted!

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Dayton
    Tesoro Outlaw
    132 times
    Metal Detecting
    I was pleased how it turned out. I was expecting to be kicked out even though I found nothing against MDing in the park. I am half tempted to keep a bag of trashy finds so I have something to show if it happens again!
    Sandman and Ism like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    Butler county Pa.
    Whites XLT
    290 times
    jfeeney , excellent manners and detecting etiquette sir . A tip of the hat to you .
    Sandman, skimel and Ism like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1857 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    There's a lot of parks I've hunted, where we've had cops (or rangers, etc...) come up and see what we're doing. Like perhaps because we're hunting after dark, and they come to see what a person is doing in the park at night, etc.... And like your experience, most of the time, it's just curiosity. Oddly though, sometimes this happens in a place where, conversely, if you had asked enough desk-bound people, with the right combinations of buzz-words, perhaps you'd have gotten a "no", if you'd asked. But reality is, so long as you're not being a nuisance, no one would care.
    mick56 and Sandman like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1147 times
    Glad it turned out that way. I have a lot of compassion for Law Enforcement but unfortunately many of the officers forget that their job is to uphold the constitution and enforce laws .....not create or alter them as they see fit. A good officer treats the public in exactly the same way he would want his family treated. Just like many things we do in life a few bad ones ruin the how the public view them all. Remember to cover them holes and pick up the trash and we all will be seen in a better light. Thanks for the good example you set.

Jul 2012
    northwest Indiana
    bounty hunter 101/505 ace 350
    30 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice reply, you fended him off with kindness instead of being offended that he was asking about your activities. Hopefully because of that officer you live in a safer place ,good job. Happy hunting

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    4699 times
    The Truth
    You got lucky and had a run in with the rare breed of cop.Not many of them around anymore.Theyre being phased out.
    Plug likes this.
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.Ē

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I beg to differ with you, Red. As a career cop I know most will not hassle a detectorist. When I was a newbie, I hunted the Natl. Park, Jamestown, VA. I didn't know! As I came back to the parking lot, with detector in hand, the ranger asked if I found anything. I pulled out bottle caps, pieces of glass, food wrappers, .... and a great big gold earring! All he said was "Get outta here." The trash IS important! All should be so picked up. Better for all of us. TTC
    tngirl and Sandman like this.
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

ca
    Sep 2012
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Tesoro Outlaw
    1 times

Well done JF!

Quote Originally Posted by jfeeney View Post
    ... He smiled and said I can see that and thanks for pitching in to help.
    The rain started a little heavier so I dropped off my trash and called it a day.
    Really good story and thanks for sharing.
    I had this terrible feeling you were going to get harassed or ticketed so I am thrilled you got a pat on the back. I am following your lead and doing the same thing at my favorite dig sites.

Jul 2012
    nc Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    887 times
    That has happened several times to me over the years, it pays to pick up trash.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    961 times
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2160 times
    When you have a lot of trash that you found in your pouch it goes a long way to ease tensions when you are detecting a place where maybe MD's aren't allowed. Doesn't hurt to carry a garbage bag with trash in it that you picked up too.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors