jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday's Interaction w/ Police

I ventured out on Saturday to do a little MDing at a local park. I was cool and overcast with an occasional spitting of rain. The park was empty which was nice. I saw a patrol car pull in the lot, drive past me... turn around... stop at my truck... stop and then walk over to where I was. I had checked the city's website for rules against MDing and didn't see anything but I was still a bit nervous.

I had amassed a bag full of junk.. cans, parts of cans, pop tops, pull tabs, nails, screws, and even foil wrappers. The officer comes over and I take off my headphones, smile and wave hello. I said "Hey Officer" and he asks what I'm doing? "So far today it's been cleaning up all this trash" as I hold up my collection. He asked if I had dug all that up? "Yep except for the stuff I found on the surface. But I'm careful about filling the holes and replacing the divots when I dig." He smiled and said I can see that and thanks for pitching in to help.

The rain started a little heavier so I dropped off my trash and called it a day.

Upvote 0

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say that having a father in the state police for 35 years I have been around alot of policemen over the years. Most are good but like any walks of life some are Aholes. The same anywhere like when you knock on doors for permission some say no problem just let me know what you find, others are like hermit crabs and barely or wont even open the door.They act like we just got done robbing the local bank! They really miss out on getting to know you or making a friend or even sometimes lending them a helping hand. I'm glad to see that this particular officer was understanding, after all we as a free country make it hard on ourselves with the rules we make and its not getting any easier !

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to work at a gas station in high school and the first couple of years in college... pump jockey mostly but some repairs as well. This wasn't a convenience store but we did sell coffee and those horrible microwave sandwiches. I never charged police for coffee, they would offer I'd say no. It cost me $2.00 or so a shift. I never felt like they took advantage of it and it kept them in/out of the station regularly. My station was never robbed while 3 others within a couple of blocks were all robbed multiple times. Luck? Perhaps, I just know keeping friendly with police has been something I've done for years. As I did last week, I speak first and I am friendly with them. Even the Aholes that you run into will be nicer if they are treated that way. Depending on their Ahole-ness that still might not be a pleasant experience but it's still better than it could have been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread