jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday's Interaction w/ Police

I ventured out on Saturday to do a little MDing at a local park. I was cool and overcast with an occasional spitting of rain. The park was empty which was nice. I saw a patrol car pull in the lot, drive past me... turn around... stop at my truck... stop and then walk over to where I was. I had checked the city's website for rules against MDing and didn't see anything but I was still a bit nervous.

I had amassed a bag full of junk.. cans, parts of cans, pop tops, pull tabs, nails, screws, and even foil wrappers. The officer comes over and I take off my headphones, smile and wave hello. I said "Hey Officer" and he asks what I'm doing? "So far today it's been cleaning up all this trash" as I hold up my collection. He asked if I had dug all that up? "Yep except for the stuff I found on the surface. But I'm careful about filling the holes and replacing the divots when I dig." He smiled and said I can see that and thanks for pitching in to help.

The rain started a little heavier so I dropped off my trash and called it a day.

Upvote 0

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought while reading this it would be a bad ending but I was wrong. Nice surprise with an officer stopping and not hassling you. Wish they were all that way to us mding.

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was pleased how it turned out. I was expecting to be kicked out even though I found nothing against MDing in the park. I am half tempted to keep a bag of trashy finds so I have something to show if it happens again! :laughing7:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jfeeney , excellent manners and detecting etiquette sir . A tip of the hat to you .:icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a lot of parks I've hunted, where we've had cops (or rangers, etc...) come up and see what we're doing. Like perhaps because we're hunting after dark, and they come to see what a person is doing in the park at night, etc.... And like your experience, most of the time, it's just curiosity. Oddly though, sometimes this happens in a place where, conversely, if you had asked enough desk-bound people, with the right combinations of buzz-words, perhaps you'd have gotten a "no", if you'd asked. But reality is, so long as you're not being a nuisance, no one would care.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it turned out that way. I have a lot of compassion for Law Enforcement but unfortunately many of the officers forget that their job is to uphold the constitution and enforce laws .....not create or alter them as they see fit. A good officer treats the public in exactly the same way he would want his family treated. Just like many things we do in life a few bad ones ruin the how the public view them all. Remember to cover them holes and pick up the trash and we all will be seen in a better light. Thanks for the good example you set. :icon_thumleft:

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice reply, you fended him off with kindness instead of being offended that he was asking about your activities. Hopefully because of that officer you live in a safer place ,good job. Happy hunting

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You got lucky and had a run in with the rare breed of cop.Not many of them around anymore.Theyre being phased out.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I beg to differ with you, Red. As a career cop I know most will not hassle a detectorist. When I was a newbie, I hunted the Natl. Park, Jamestown, VA. I didn't know! As I came back to the parking lot, with detector in hand, the ranger asked if I found anything. I pulled out bottle caps, pieces of glass, food wrappers, .... and a great big gold earring! All he said was "Get outta here." The trash IS important! All should be so picked up. Better for all of us. TTC

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done JF!

... He smiled and said I can see that and thanks for pitching in to help.
The rain started a little heavier so I dropped off my trash and called it a day.

Really good story and thanks for sharing. :hello2:
I had this terrible feeling you were going to get harassed or ticketed so I am thrilled you got a pat on the back. I am following your lead and doing the same thing at my favorite dig sites.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you have a lot of trash that you found in your pouch it goes a long way to ease tensions when you are detecting a place where maybe MD's aren't allowed. Doesn't hurt to carry a garbage bag with trash in it that you picked up too.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you. Great ending.
Here in the Big Easy you'd need to sport a wheelbarrow or mobile trash compactor. LOL
Ray

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I beg to differ with you, Red.

I have to beg to differ with you also Terry.I didnt mean just having to do with metal detecting.I've had my run ins more than once with the low IQ rogue cops.The most recent i wasnt doing anything other than sitting in a parking lot waiting for my mother to get out of church.And this happy a$$hole came up and tried accusing me of breaking and entering.He changed his tune real quick when he found out my brother was a deputy chief of police.I dont forget and payback is due.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Red. I know the type you allude to. I have worked with some. They are usually newbies, HIDING behind that big badge. The first time they get their clock cleaned, they drop the act. Sorry part is that the bad actors carry the rep of the entire group. ALL bad decisions against cops are from a cop going out of his way to get his T*T in a ringer. TTC

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glade the officer wasn't badge heavey and throw his weight around I have come across cool ones and badge heavey ones. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread