Im new to MDing, and would like some input on how to clean my clad.

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive heard alot of people say that using a rock tumbler with fish gravel inside works well.Havent tried this personally though,Only a suggestion!!

HH John

zuludon

Aug 28, 2012
central texas
Detector(s) used
garrett,groundhog,ads7x whites xlt-e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello rustyman9791 sounds like you are doing some good dirt fishing .a fast and easy clean up is to get a block of wood tape or staple a hafe sheet of #80 grit sandpaper slide coin back and forth a few times ,flip over and do other side and drop in a jar of water. dump water and dry with old towel. now your ready to roll, dump at bank or coinstar. your $50.00 in clad will go fast,i once did $500.00 in pennies and took the family on vacation. that took awhile and i did a little at a time watching tv.clean coins ,buy more batteries, dig more coins repeat and call me in 20 years

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak them in some water and dish soap for a few days then swish them around a little bit. Stubborn ones may need a litttle hands on help like zuludon suggested. I use a rock tumbler myself.

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been experementing with electrolysis. Works wonders but you need to stay right with it. 2 days ago I found a 1864 indian head cent. Put it on electrolysis and went to the bathroom. No more than 5 min. Came back to find an unrecognizeable coin. Very bummed but learned a very valuable lesson.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have almost $50 dollars worth in clad in the last 7 weeks, and would like to know the best methods to clean my clad so I can cash it in at the bank.

ive heard alot of people say that using a rock tumbler with fish gravel inside works well.Havent tried this personally though,Only a suggestion!!

HH John

Here is a video of cleaning clad.

greg755

Feb 2, 2008
Seneca Falls, NY
i never clean clad coins I just spend them. If I have enough I will just roll them and take them to the bank. The most I ever do to them is rinse them off.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a forum section devoted to cleaning your finds. You may want to check it out for more ideas.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
"I have almost $50 dollars worth in clad in the last 7 weeks..."
Hi Rusty, Where in Wisconsin do you live and coin hunt? Cuz I've been digging & scratching around the area North of Milwaukee for 5 months and have only about $10. Next time can I go with you?? Just kidding. Good luck on the clean-up. Let us know how it works.

OP
OP
R

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I have almost $50 dollars worth in clad in the last 7 weeks..."
Hi Rusty, Where in Wisconsin do you live and coin hunt? Cuz I've been digging & scratching around the area North of Milwaukee for 5 months and have only about $10. Next time can I go with you?? Just kidding. Good luck on the clean-up. Let us know how it works.

Hi tokameel,
I live in the Wausau area, and have been spending almost 4 hour a day metal detecting for all my clad that I have been collecting. I am on call at my job and just go MDing everyday untill I'm called into work8-). Usually get around a dollar a day although my best day has been $4.94. I found quarter kingdom that day. I only have been Mding since the tuesday before labor day, but have been loving it and wish I would have gotten a detector years ago. I found if you get in to the smaller towns i have found areas I think have never seen a metal detector. If your every in the central part of the state look me up.

Peace out,
Ryan

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really isn't any need to clean clad except to give a quick wash. 99% of what you put through a coin counting machine will go through perfectly fine. If there are rejects I toss them in with my change and spend it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wash mine off and take it to the bank...its discolored but not dirty...they have never said anything about it and they cash it out for free.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the heck are you guys digging this perfectly clean clad? The stuff I dig is coated with hard, cement-like dirt that doesn't even think about coming off with a little rinse. It has no chance of going through a counter like that either.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could spend $100 on a tumbler or you could do what I do...Drop them in the local coinstar machine...& let them worry about cleaning em!

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Microwave some peroxide for a minute or two drop coins in for an hour pull out rub with baking soda sha zam!

mtrimmer

Dec 14, 2011
indianapolis
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a rock t tumbler with small pea gravel, sand and Ajax and vinager. the vinager will foam at first but will calm down. i use this only on clad coins and pennies. seperate the pennies from the silver clad and nickles. do the pennies seperately. I tumble the coins overnight approx. 12 hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread