What is after the Bounty Hunter??

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
I have had several bounty hunter MD's over the years. They have been the ones most affordable by the beginner. I want to upgrade to something that is better. Dont take me wrong I will always keep my trusty BH But I am going new places that will require a little more depth and information than just a beep.. Any suggestions??? Whites, Garret, mine Lab, Troy for about 500.00. My local elec. store has the Garret Ace 300 for 329.00 anyone use one of those??? Desperate need help

Upvote 0

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Don't know about Garrett but there is an ace 300 on ebay bidding on it now is 102. dollars with I believe five days left, if thats the kind your going for. HH Bob.B

M

mrmark55

Hitman,

I have a Garrett Treasure Ace 300. It is not really any better than my Bounty Hunter 202. I have found just as much with my BH as I have my Garrett and my BH gives me depth readout where the Garrett does not. I recently bought a DFX and I use my BH as my back up detector not my Garrett.
Just my own opinion.
Mr Mark

M

mrmark55

Hitman,

I guess I came across kinda of negative about the Garrett. It is a good and trustworthy little machine and I have found a lot of great stuff with it. I just prefer my BH. I believe $329 to be a little steep for the 300 however. I bought mine as new from a dealer with warranty for $229. I really think it might have been a re-conditioned unit, but it has always worked just fine. ;D

Just wanted to clear that up....

Mr Mark

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Thanks to all, seems I might just keep what I got for now. Seeing how many people are using the BH over the other brands.... Dont want to spend any money if I dont have to. This is all I have ever owned and did not know if there was a big difference in the BH and others..... Guess not... I wll just keep on learning with the BH...

Hitman

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
I have one of the pionerr 202 and the BH IV, they have depth display but they never seem to work correctly. I am pretty sure alot of this is user error. Reading all of these posts and replys has made me realize that I probably dont know my machines full capacities and how to use them to the best advantage. I think I will set me up a garden as suggested and work with the machine in a confined test, then maybe I will at least know how not to dig up so much trash..... Thanks all for the help.

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Hitman: The Tracker IV and Pioneer 202 (twin to the Quick Draw II) are pretty good rigs for the money. The Tracker IV is an entry level machine, while the 202 is what most BH users consider to be a mid-point machine. If you ever need tips on these rigs zip on over to the BH forum at www.detecting.com, click on the Bulletin Board tab, register and ask away. Mike Hillis is a wizard on the Tracker IV and several use the P202/QDII with very good results. As far as depth and more advanced features, BH makes several nice upper line models that rival any other make on the market. I have a friend who hunts with a Time Ranger and the thing is phenomenol. It's very flexible, easy to use and gets depth as well as most other top line detectors. Keep working with your rigs and you'll get there. As many others have posted here and on other forums...it comes down to the person behind the control box. Happy Hunting! BBJ

C

Carl in CO

Hitman, I just got a BH Pioneer 202 last weekend. I have the same difficulty. It doesn't seem to be real accurate on the depth. The biggest problem I have is the false positives. It seems to beep at random. I kept getting a hit at the park today. As I dug, about every inch deeper I'd run the detector back over the hole. It quit beeping over the hole at about 8 inches. At that point I ran it over the dirt I pulled out. It started beeping all over the place. It sounded like a good target, but I never found anything. Oh, it's so frustrating! The manual says to just learn what are good repeatable tones. I am getting better. I've found 2 newer lincolns and 2 wheaties. Also found a good luck charm from the Excellsior Shoe Company for boys. Among many things on it, is a swatstika, so I'm sure it predates WWII. If you learn any good techniques on the 202, let me know.

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Hello Carl, Where in Colorado are you?

You had a target in the dirt what you do in that situation is pick up handfulls of dirt and wave them in front of the coil untill you get the beep in your hand.

The rapid beeping means the target is on the surface lift the detector a couple inches from the pile of dirt and you will get a soild tone again then you can pinpoint.

Hope this helps,

Onion

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Did you know that the Tesoro first began from the Bounty Hunters?Yep! that is where they came from. The company that makes Tesoroes came from BT'S and then they went on there own way
and then they Built the Tesoro's and they are two separate companies now.So when you use a Tesoro your useing what used to be from the B.H. company only updated and with a new name?
That is really cool!So Bounty Hunters are a great brand to use,as well as the Tesoro brand of detector.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I used an radio shack version made by bounty hunter last year, got 65 older coins, best was an 1843 Dahlonega $5 gold piece. Up graded to a White's MXT. This year got 169 older coins. Hunt demo sites! also side walks that are torn up.

C

Carl in CO

Onion, thanks for the advice. I'm going to go back to that hole and give it another shot. I'm near Fort Collins. I'm gather from your post that you are in Denver?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well Hitman
A lot here depends on your viewpoint. Do you want something slightly better or the latest technology? I mainly hunt gold these days but for a new coin/relic/nugget machine I would look at the latest technology just designed by George Payne.- The Discovery Millennium 11($750) with George Payne's new cointrax 11 chip.. Go to http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/index.html` and visit the Geotech forum. JB's posts about the Millennium 11 has some links about this machine and other Baron information. Again this is only for serious folks who want the latest technology. This is the latest machine to be introduced in our hobby.

Other deep seeking entries were recently made by Tesoro who produced two new deep relic machines(Cibola and Vaquero) which are probably are the deepest machines for the money($350 &$450) out there(not quite as deep as the Tejon or the X-5).

There are so many quality machines out there by Fisher, Minelab, Troy,ect- that in most cases it means personal selection at your local dealer's shop.

Actually, if you are snow bound- you can always wait and see what will be introduced this winter.

George

majik

Oct 4, 2004
hey onion, carl, and all
what you were talking about takeing a handful of dirt and waving it in front of the coil works good.. what i do is i have a plastic screen about as big around as a five gallon bucket and 2 or three inches deep and has holes about 3/8 wide
I put the dirt i am digging in it as i go deeper. if i loose the signal i run it over my screen. if it is there i shake it out over the hole. most times i have found it this way. if there are clods or clumps in the shaker then i pull them out and wave in front of my coil. i find this helps me keep my holes "clean" as i can get all the dirt back in the hole... HH Majik

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU KNOW You Can Run The Hand Full Of Dirt On Top Of The Coil Also ? the signal goes up the same way it goes down. Wave a coin on top of your coil & try it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions