paulm777

Sep 5, 2012
Mississippi, Gulf coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mhughes013 said:
Hey all, new to the world of metal detecting, been trying to do some research but I have always found that the best kind is to just get out there and do it. Don't have a real fancy metal detector, just a harbor freight one, but seems I have got it working how it should. Anyone with any tips to make sure I pick up good habits and avoid the bad ones?

You'll pick up a lot of tips just by reading previous posts. I would say a few top tips would be:
Go slow.
Practice makes you more in tune with your detector.
Dig everything at first, this makes you understand what your detectors saying (pull tab, silver, penny, dime, ring..)
If you have discrimination on detector this will teach you what is good and isn't good. But even the $1,000 detectors sometimes say its junk, when it might be a silver bracelet for example.

Good luck

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Tnet. There are several here on the net that will help you along. Also, MANY books can give you a good headstart. TTC

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get frustrated......it takes quite a bit of time with a machine before you really get productive with it. Make sure you use headphones. Most detectors tell you more than you would think in the subtle difference in their tone or tones. As simple as it sounds.....a good deep coin sounds like a good deep coin. Harder to tell with wind and outside noise if you don't use the headphones. Best of luck and welcome to the ward. :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As TNGUNS said, Use headphones. This also stops neighborhood dogs and kids from visiting you and lets you keep a low profile.

The best advice I can give it to learn how to PINPOINT WELL and remove coins from the ground without having to dig a hole and if you do have to cut a plug in the grass, do the cut on only 3 sides so the grass doesn't die. Any dirt you remove should be placed on a cloth so the coin doesn't get lost in the grass again and you can pour all the dirt back in the hole and saving time in the bargain. Never, ever be seen in a park or school yard with a shovel or large trowel.

IowaPro

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2012
Southern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Currently Use Whites MXT Pro & Minelab E-Trac!Have owned Whites DFX/Eagle 2/6000 series/5000 series/ and first detector was a goldmaster.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Welcome aboard I live about 40 miles south and east of you if you need and help with the hobby let me know. I have been detecting about 35 years now.:-)

OP
OP
M

mhughes013

Oct 10, 2012
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, thanks for the pointers and suggestions. Hopefully I can get out and do some md'ing here soon. And thanks for the offer IowaPro, I will keep you in mind if I ever do need any help.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Nothwest Iowa, if you are ever in the area there is a fellow detectorist if you want to hunt.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Set up play dates with those who have offered help. You'll have a ton of fun sharing your finds.

AgIA

Oct 5, 2012
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greeting from NE Iowa in the Waverly area! Just getting serious myself - would love to go hunting...

OP
OP
M

mhughes013

Oct 10, 2012
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm seems quite a few of us in iowa. If anyone is interested in heading out sometime shoot me a message.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread