Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TNGUNS

Thread: Hey all newbie here from iowa.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Harbor Freight Detector
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hey all newbie here from iowa.

Hey all, new to the world of metal detecting, been trying to do some research but I have always found that the best kind is to just get out there and do it. Don't have a real fancy metal detector, just a harbor freight one, but seems I have got it working how it should. Anyone with any tips to make sure I pick up good habits and avoid the bad ones?

us
    Sep 2012
    Mississippi, Gulf coast
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Pro Pointer
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mhughes013
    Hey all, new to the world of metal detecting, been trying to do some research but I have always found that the best kind is to just get out there and do it. Don't have a real fancy metal detector, just a harbor freight one, but seems I have got it working how it should. Anyone with any tips to make sure I pick up good habits and avoid the bad ones?
    You'll pick up a lot of tips just by reading previous posts. I would say a few top tips would be:
    Go slow.
    Practice makes you more in tune with your detector.
    Dig everything at first, this makes you understand what your detectors saying (pull tab, silver, penny, dime, ring..)
    If you have discrimination on detector this will teach you what is good and isn't good. But even the $1,000 detectors sometimes say its junk, when it might be a silver bracelet for example.

Good luck

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1650 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to the Tnet. There are several here on the net that will help you along. Also, MANY books can give you a good headstart. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1107 times
    Don't get frustrated......it takes quite a bit of time with a machine before you really get productive with it. Make sure you use headphones. Most detectors tell you more than you would think in the subtle difference in their tone or tones. As simple as it sounds.....a good deep coin sounds like a good deep coin. Harder to tell with wind and outside noise if you don't use the headphones. Best of luck and welcome to the ward.
    Sandman likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2093 times
    As TNGUNS said, Use headphones. This also stops neighborhood dogs and kids from visiting you and lets you keep a low profile.

The best advice I can give it to learn how to PINPOINT WELL and remove coins from the ground without having to dig a hole and if you do have to cut a plug in the grass, do the cut on only 3 sides so the grass doesn't die. Any dirt you remove should be placed on a cloth so the coin doesn't get lost in the grass again and you can pour all the dirt back in the hole and saving time in the bargain. Never, ever be seen in a park or school yard with a shovel or large trowel.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Sep 2012
    Southern Iowa
    Currently Use Whites MXT Pro & Minelab E-Trac!Have owned Whites DFX/Eagle 2/6000 series/5000 series/ and first detector was a goldmaster.
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hi Welcome aboard I live about 40 miles south and east of you if you need and help with the hobby let me know. I have been detecting about 35 years now.:-)

us
    Oct 2012
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Harbor Freight Detector
    Hey all, thanks for the pointers and suggestions. Hopefully I can get out and do some md'ing here soon. And thanks for the offer IowaPro, I will keep you in mind if I ever do need any help.

us
    The Beard "WP"

Feb 2012
    North West Iowa
    Bounty Hunter
    261 times
    Hello from Nothwest Iowa, if you are ever in the area there is a fellow detectorist if you want to hunt.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    -Thomas Jefferson

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Tesoro Sidewinder, White's Coinmaster, White's Surfmaster II
    293 times
    Metal Detecting
    Set up play dates with those who have offered help. You'll have a ton of fun sharing your finds.

us
    Oct 2012
    Iowa
    Minelab E-Trac
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Greeting from NE Iowa in the Waverly area! Just getting serious myself - would love to go hunting...

us
    Oct 2012
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Harbor Freight Detector
    Hmmmm seems quite a few of us in iowa. If anyone is interested in heading out sometime shoot me a message.

Sponsors