treasure hunters benefit barbecue

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
treasure hunter's benefit barbecue

We are having a benefit barbecue for a fellow treasure hunter that is being treated for cancer. He needs help with the costs. His name is Tom Gidus and he goes by mad4wrecks on TN. I am putting together a treasure hunt on the motel grounds. Kip Wagner was a famous treasure hunter on the east coast of Florida. He was also a contractor and built the motel back in the 60's. I think there is treasure buried on the motel grounds.

As part of the events I am putting together a test site for metal detectors. I am going to bury some lead at various depths from 6 inches on down in a way that it will be marked as to what is in the ground and exactly how deep it is. I have a nine foot post hole digger and may bury some objects about that deep. I am going to do this in such a way that I will be able to leave it all there for future events. I have never been able to truly test my own detectors and compare them against others. I want to invite anyone that wants to come join in the festivities. There will be lots of fellow treasure hunters, good food, drinks, music and more.

The event will be held at the Pennwood Inn in Sebastion, Florida on Nov 3. Please come and bring your best detector. There will be an auction and raffle to help out Tom. If you wish to contribute or help out in anyway you can PM me or aquanut. John (aquanut) is the one putting this together. I am only trying to help. I am challenging all dowsers, LRL users and metal detectorist to help me find any treasure on this property to go towards Tom's expenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

graffixgirl

Apr 6, 2008
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 800_MineLab Excalibur II_Titan3000DX w/DDcoil_minelab 505 w/DD coil AND "My vibe"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Will be there, already got my room. N talked with John.had a blast this spring cook out.i was bummed when i heard about TOM. I hope he will be well enough to come for a Lil while. Thrs please come down and support this fund raiser....those who don't dive...you know we secretly live vicariously through the treasure salvors. You will not be disappointed.great peeps you will meet.and have a good time....raffle, auction, and silent auction with good swag.

Last edited:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I talked to Taffi Fisher today. She's going to donate a 1715 plate fleet or Atocha 8 Reale cob coin to be auctioned off at the benefit. Also she will be there for a short time to visit. Also, Elle has sent me her last copy of her book "The Marigalera of the 1715 Fleet" that will also be available! This may go on auction or in the raffle! I will also offer 3 rice bowls dated around 900 AD from the Vietnam wreck of the Tang Dynasty era which I got from Treasure Huntin' Tom. Additionally, I'll put up for auction, out of my personal collection, an original Tairona Indian Pre-Colombian Tumbaga figurine of unknown age to generate interest. I'll post pictures of my stuff and Elle's book next week when I get back from the Keys. BTW, Elle is also known as Laura Strolia, a wonderful researcher, so you don't want to mis what she has to say!
Aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Daniel Sedwick sent me two books today to be used as a raffle item or to be auctioned off for Tom's benefit. One is a signed copy of his Fourth Edition " The Practical Book of Cobs". The other is a signed copy of "The Tumbaga Saga" Treasure of the Conquistadors by Augustin "Augi" Garcia Barneche.
Thank you Dan!
Aquanut John

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I talked with Ray Walker with Kellyco today. I think at the very least they will be donating a metal detector for the raffle/auction. They may do more. I will post details as I get them.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Kellco has given us 250 backpacks full of stuff and 4 metal detectors, 3 MPX's and an Ace 250 for the auction. Plus Taffi Fisher gave us another cob to auction. It's an 8 Reale off the 1715 fleet worth about $800 to $1000. We have several other cobs donated by members also. Many artifacts and Treasure ship stuff will be available in the raffles or auctions. The details will appear in the shipwreck section as soon as I can get the info together. You all really don't want to miss this one! There won't be another like it!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
You can add an 8 Reale from El Cazador donated by Diver_Down. Another new metal detector, a Fisher F75 donated by Fisher through Kellco.
3 pieces of beautiful Mayan Pottery donated by Tommy Vawter from the Treasworks collection.
You can see the pottery on the Shipwreck Section.
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread