Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save all mine to put toward an upgrade of s detector

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most clad coins are just that clad coins valued at face vlaue unless it is a error coin or one that is a key date coin. But I always clean mine and check them out if they are nothing of value I simply put them in a jar and when it gets full roll them and cash them in last cash in I had around 175.00 in my jar it is a simple jiff peanut butter jar one of the large plastic ones. HH

dianegs

Oct 20, 2012
North of Boston
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I cannot answer you as I'm a newbie to this site and to hunting. Sorry!

I do have a question, what do you do with a coin so old and covered that you can't ID it?

First OLD coin ... Excited but would love to know what it is.

Any thought you'd like to share?

Regards,

Diane

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
dianegs said:
Hello,

I cannot answer you as I'm a newbie to this site and to hunting. Sorry!

I do have a question, what do you do with a coin so old and covered that you can't ID it?

First OLD coin ... Excited but would love to know what it is.

Any thought you'd like to share?

Regards,

Diane

Well first take it to a local coin shop. They will help you there. Try not to clean it if it has a design that is unusual or uncommon. It will lower the value if you do. You can also start new threads on this site and post pics too! Hope this helps!

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean them and if just clad, I use them to finance the hunt. From lunch-to-laundry. HH

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wash it off and take it to my bank where they cash it out for free. I cash out in June and December and take my wife to the Outback steak house. It feels like were having a free meal. Everytime I dig a coin I get hungry thinking about what its going to get spent on. The clad is just a fringe benefit from my gold and silver searching.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all mine until the end of the year. Then I clean it and take it to the bank to exchange for cash. Coinstars take a percentage, so why give that away? Once you have cash, you can use it for detecting upgrades and accessories, detecting trips, buy silver or gold bullion.... whatever you want!

Personally, I use my clad-cash to buy silver.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just wash them off and put in rolls and take to the bank. The money goes right back into the hobby. You don't need to spend much time cleaning them as they are just clad and just face value. I mainly hunt older sites but the clad is still there unfortunately.

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking of buying silver with my clad.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't know what to do with your clad coins/money...Send it to me i know what to do with it............

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
If you don't know what to do with your clad coins/money...Send it to me i know what to do with it............

Sure so you could spend it! XD

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have a coin dish on my night table for change. If I can identify the coin, it just goes in with the change. When it starts to overflow, I just sort it and put it in quart size jars. I take the easy way out, coinstar. It's just to hard to get it thru the computer or ATM. lol Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 327

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
The clad? If I am at the beach some of them have to go into the parking meters. Don't have to clean them
that way.
Rich

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure so you could spend it! XD
... Now you know what i would do with it... And you can do the same thing with it............. It looks like some spend it that week some save it and spend it in 6 months and some spend it in a year.......................... But it comes down to the same answer.... They all spend it some way or other.... There is your answer.........

BlueDuck

Jun 26, 2009
Hayden, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Bounty Hunter
Its money... spend it. I usually invest mine back into the hobby in some way. I have paid for coils, pro pointer and a lesche digging tool. Next thing might be a under water detector.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just rolled a bunch, tried to keep my rolls below 50% crusty dirty coins mixed with clean clad.

Time to drop at the bank.

HH

Pete

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the end of the year, I'll cash them in and go buy Franklin Halves. I'd bypass the bank part, but my coin shop only takes debit/credit cards.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
The quarters usually go into a pool table. The dimes and nickels go to parking meters and vending machines. I rinse the loose dirt off and spend them. Can crusty zinc cents be turned into the bank for spendable cash? I have a jar full and would like to spend them too. DD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread