Whats the best way to clean coins after they been sitting in the ground?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I have found a few good coins metal detecting and I was wondering what is the best way to clean them? Any solutions one can put one them? I am interested in cleaning old silver coins not the new stuff that we find nowdays in parks etc. and the stuff we spend on a daily basis. But the really good stuff that has been tucked away in the ground for many of years!! Hope to hear some good answers!! Aloha!!! 8)

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most silver coins come out of the ground looking like the day they were dropped, however if you find one that is blackened due to mineralization - hook it up to low voltage electrolysis, this will bring the silver look back to life.

If you suspect it may have significant value, I would recommend taking it to a professional and let them clean it for you.

HH/NS

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, DO NOT rub, scrape or brush coins in the field with your grubby fingers. This also goes for rubbing them on your pants, etc. If you are on a site that has the potential for older coins, then treat each find as if it were one, until you know otherwise.

Once you know you have a silver coin, resist the urge to get the dirt off and gawk at it in the field. Carry a little newspaper in your pocket and wrap each of your coin finds in it. Then secure them were they cannot unravel and get loose.

Then, once home, start by cleaing them individually in mild soap and water only. Don't let them rub against one another if you have found more than one. Just use a fine bristled toothbrush or makeup brush to gently remove whatever you need to in order to make a date and mintmark determination. Silver coins normally DO come from the ground looking pristine - to the naked eye. But under microscopic examination, it is obvious that they have suffered deterioration. For a very rare or valuable coin, this can lower it's grade, sometime substantially.

Once you can accurately determine what you have, you can determine its value. If it IS rare and valuable, then professional cleaning and grading is a good idea. If it is common, a little gentle soaking, brushing and maybe some electrolysis will spruce it up nicely.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow Dahut's advice, he knows what he is talking about. Treat each coin like it is valueable. Don't try to read the date till it has soaked in water. Try not to even think of looking at a found coin, you don't know who is watching you with a nasty intent. Sorry, that's the way it is today. What they don't know can't hurt you.

Sandman

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahut / Sandman = EXCELLENT ADVISE!

I like your advise Sandman of casually slipping coins into your pocket unnoticed *lol* I have a bad habit of holding them up for closer observation myself! A habit I need to break....
;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman hits it...

...on the head. You never know who's looking. I keep my nice finds deep in an inner pocket somewhere, quickly squirreling them away as I find them. The common stuff goes in the pouch and ALL the trash I can stuff in my pouch is right up front.

I have to admit to some sadistic glee when Im approached by an onlooker or little kid who asks, "Finding much?"
"Sure, always," I say and shake my pouch vigorously, everything in it rattling loudly.
They usually get a look somewhere between suspicion and greed at that moment. Then, just when the suspense has reached it's zenith, I quickly reach in and haul out a handful of can slaw, old lightbulbs, foil and iron lumps, extending it towards them willingly - as several pulltabs flutter from my clenched fist to the ground.
"See," I say.
"Oh" (more like, "Oh my!) is the usual reaction and they fairly well move along at that point. I see them muttering to their friends or family and pretty soon the whole place knows for sure what a crackpot I am...better left alone.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sandman hits it...

dahut said:
...on the head. You never know who's looking. I keep my nice finds deep in an inner pocket somewhere, quickly squirreling them away as I find them. The common stuff goes in the pouch and ALL the trash I can stuff in my pouch is right up front.

I have to admit to some sadistic glee when Im approached by an onlooker or little kid who asks, "Finding much?"
"Sure, always," I say and shake my pouch vigorously, everything in it rattling loudly.
They usually get a look somewhere between suspicion and greed at that moment. Then, just when the suspense has reached it's zenith, I quickly reach in and haul out a handful of can slaw, old lightbulbs, foil and iron lumps, extending it towards them willingly - as several pulltabs flutter from my clenched fist to the ground.
"See," I say.
"Oh" (more like, "Oh my!) is the usual reaction and they fairly well move along at that point. I see them muttering to their friends or family and pretty soon the whole place knows for sure what a crackpot I am...better left alone.
great minds think alike

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahut...your avatar cracked me up! :D :D :D :D :D

I guess I need to start carrying a few pulltabs and rusty nails in my pockets. Great Advise! Greed is the root of all evil in my book....

Attachments

• Tophat.gif
    Tophat.gif
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,481

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i sold some wheats with dirt still on em.except from dirt and color wheats had no wear.probably lost as army airmen were paid.no cleaning at all.PS dont be paranoid of others

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver: soap and water (leave the toning) clean bad coins via the foil/hot water/baking soda treatment

Nickels: rock tumbler with water and aquarium gravel only 1 hour (2 at most and leave dark toning)

Copper/brass: long water soaks and rock tumbler if needed (don't over-clean)

Aluminum: long time water soak and take what you get

Gold: a very careful water rinse only - Don't remove that slight darker yellow/reddish tone formed by being buried

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS dont be paranoid of others
A good friend of mine was robbed while detecting once. The world has all sorts of people in it, some good, others not. Go to the library and get a copy of "The Count of Monte Cristo," by Alexander Dumas - a good read and a wonderful example of what I'm saying about humans and their nature.
If you wont object, Ill stay on my guard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread