Traveling w/ a MD

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone ever traveled with their MD? I maybe be hitting the beach and was wondering if anyone has flown with their MD? As a carry on? Or a checked bag? Any advice would be very helpful. From traveling for work as a general rule I don't check bags. But is it realistic to think I could pack it for a carry on?

Upvote 0

newfie

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Dawsonville, Ga
Detector(s) used
whites,fisher
I fly with mine 3/4 times a year to different Caribbean islands and I always check it thru, pack it well and never have had a single problem in over 15 years, love to take it with me, clear, calm water, sandy beaches,
never come home empty handed......would love to take it to Europe when I go but that I'm not sure about but no problem with the islands.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you can't take all your other gear in your carry on anyway, I just check the detector and related stuff (digging tool, probe, pinpointer, etc). I pack it in an old hardside suitcase with lots of padding. They'll open the case at security so don't leave a bunch of little items laying loose inside or it will spill all over the place. Put small things like batteries, spare parts, and tools, inside a ziplock.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have flown several times with metal detectors. I put it into a hard gun case. The two times I took one to "the Islands", I took it on as carry-on. It must fit in the overhead or under the seat. TTC

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I'll plan on getting a hard shell case. Depending on the sizes of the parts I may be able to carry it on..but if I need to check it, I'll be sure to get padding and perhaps an organizer for the accessories. Thanks again..

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the White's Compact Hardcase and is approx: 21"L X 7.5"W X 15"H. It already has the padding in with cut outs for your machine and extras. Most machines will fit in it and it easily stores in the overhead. Although it is heavily padded I still take as a carry on because I don't want it handled the way they handle luggage.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you do with your digging tool(s) and probe? They won't let take those in your carry-on. The last time I tried to take the detector in carry-on, they said NO. They said the upper and/or lower shaft could be used as a weapon. My arguement that laptops and snowboards could be used the same way fell on deaf ears.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you do with your digging tool(s) and probe? They won't let take those in your carry-on. The last time I tried to take the detector in carry-on, they said NO. They said the upper and/or lower shaft could be used as a weapon. My arguement that laptops and snowboards could be used the same way fell on deaf ears.

I had no problems putting my trowel and pinpoiner in the case. Went thru security (Southwest) just fine. I called Southwest before I left to ask what I need to do and what was allow and not allowed. All they said was it just needs to fit into the overhead and they gave me the minimum size requirements. If your airline won't allow then just mail them to your location or purchase another digging tool when you get there. The only problem I had was on the return trip at security. I found a lot of silver, wheats and indian head coins and had them in a baggie in my case. Also in there was an old rusty knife with pearl handles. That was the only think I had to check in my baggage. I couldn't believe it and even showed them the blades were rusted shut and could not be opened but I still had to check it or leave behind. If it didn't have the pearl sides I would have left it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar experience when I tried to take an old rusty cap gun in my carry-on. The head of security acted like I was a terrorist trying to take over the plane. Everyone else around him was doing their best to keep from busting up laughing! I mean the gun was one big rusted up lump for goodness sake! When are they going to start using some common sense? Treasurehound, you live in Morristown? I used to have some inlaws there! Never did any detecting there however.....wish I had!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a similar experience when I tried to take an old rusty cap gun in my carry-on. The head of security acted like I was a terrorist trying to take over the plane. Everyone else around him was doing their best to keep from busting up laughing! I mean the gun was one big rusted up lump for goodness sake! When are they going to start using some common sense? Treasurehound, you live in Morristown? I used to have some inlaws there! Never did any detecting there however.....wish I had!

Some great hunting here. Lot of civil war activity and lots of 1700's to 1800's sites to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread