Upvote 0

yellerstang

Jul 2, 2011
Northumberland County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year we were hunting an old park near my home. Rich in Pa. found a very nice 1963 class ring. He found the owner very quickly and sent it out to him. (We are in Pennsylvania, the ring was from North Carolina, and the owner is living in Florida...) That ring was likely worth over $400 in cash at the time.... I admire those who detect for fun, those who see more than dollar signs.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do what is morally right and return it if I could. Never know what it really might have meant to someone who owned it.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

no Judgements from me on any ones Opinion

I absolutely agree on keeping any jewelry Without enough info on it to trace it.

but class rings not only have initials, They have the name of the school.
the 2 things making most of them traceable.

yes I'm a treasure hunter & not only enjoy the history & surprises,
I also have that I want to Hit the big one attitude.

Plus occasionally you get a reward returning rings,
or the chance of receiving a Lead you otherwise may not.

Plus the appreciation can sometimes be a treasure in itself

We have never found a Class ring or one that was Identifible!!!! If We ever find One We Will Give It Back With a Big Smile And A No thanks to any reward!!! We would Just tell then to Pay it Foward!!! If your ever in a checkout line and the Person ahead of you is short a few Bucks Pay that For them!!! HH Chug and Red

I do it all the time!!! Its a Blast and The Smiles are Great!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Every thing that most find was someones personnel..... Item .... If you can find the owner fast return it .... But don't spend to much time trying to find the owner......... Some make it there life's work to find a owner...... What i find is mine ..... That's me i don't try to look like a good guy to every one.......... I find it it's mine........... I never had any problems with that method........... Of course i never tell any one what i find....... I don't like to broadcast my business to others ....

OP
OP
C

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a local highschool and lots of people know the guy, he has a record longer than my arm, he was in prison last anyone
knew. Not the kind of person I would care to offer it back or even let know I found it. I may just keep it awhile, seems the metal detecting hobby dosen't pay off in every case.

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, to sum it up! All of you who say return it because its a class ring! Are you saying return it just because its easy or because its the right thing to do?

With a little or a lot of research i'm sure we could return most of what we find!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, to sum it up! All of you who say return it because its a class ring! Are you saying return it just because its easy or because its the right thing to do?

With a little or a lot of research i'm sure we could return most of what we find!

No you can't. 99% of the rings I have found have no names, initials, dates, or anything other than makers marks on them. If you have nothing to look up, you can't possibly find the owner. Even initials and dates are darn near impossible to trace. Class rings make it possible because you often know the city, school, year and the persons name.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a local highschool and lots of people know the guy, he has a record longer than my arm, he was in prison last anyone
knew. Not the kind of person I would care to offer it back or even let know I found it. I may just keep it awhile, seems the metal detecting hobby dosen't pay off in every case.

Sorry ! IF he's still the rightful owner,
By refusing to return because of his reputation, in a way it puts you in the same class as him.
please don't take that as a real Judgement or Insult, it's just How it can be interpreted .
But, I'm not your keeper :laughing9: & You know what they say about opinions :tongue3:

If He's in Jail however, I would probably keep it till he gets out, unless he's a lifer with no chance of parole of course.

In that case, I'm not sure what I would do.
IF he has kids Maybe one of them, but again I guess I'd have to
consider the situation. & which would benefit more, them or me :laughing7:

put it this way,

If I found Charlie Mansons class ring, I'd keep it & Probably try to sell it under the table for a mint.
As I don't think he'll ever be released so I can Hand or mail it to him personally, and see if he appreciates it.

If I Found OJ's Ring, in spite of that I have no respect for him, I'd try to return it the day he gets out of jail. unless I was sure i'll be gone before his release, then I'd probably scrap it.

If I found Joe bad guy's ring & He's spending 20 to life for manufacturing crack next door to a school,
& he has a hot 20 year old Daughter, I'd try to visit & hand it to her :laughing7:

if Lincoln went to high school & I found his ring, I'd be rich :headbang:

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Quote for dholland02: "I guess I'm the only one in here with the guts to say the truth."
Back in the day, I'd take two steps back and respond to that potentially flaming comment. Today, with greater maturity, I'll just move on and invest my time more productively.
Don.....

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, wouldn't that be a touching returned ring story.......You go to give back his ring and he puts you in the hospital.:o

I was going to stay out of this thread after having a string of bad experiences returning (my last three) rings but now I have to say something.

I've seen this same thread before and people use the concept of Karma. Did any of you ever think about the Karma of the person who lost the ring?

Without going into my personal thoughts on the subject, all I'm gonna say is what's morally right for some may not be for others and Chuck should do what HE FEELS is right for HIM.

I'll tell you one decision I made years ago that has nothing to do with my last three returned rings. I found a big ass gold biker ring with a scary design and I was able to find out which Hell's Angel member it belonged to. That puppy went right into the scrap pile without thinking twice. I did what I felt was morally right.

Good luck on YOUR decision.
Dave.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point was, if you're in this hobby strictly for the money, you're in the wrong hobby. You may as well get a job instead as you will probably make more in income that way unless you're incredibly lucky to find something of major value. I find that returning lost items is a big part of the enjoyment I have detecting. Naturally, each find has to be evaluated on it's pros and cons of finding the owner. I dont' think anyone expects extraordinary efforts in locating an owner but some people (including me) enjoy the detective nature of finding the one who lost it and story behind it. I believe in finders keepers too but that doesn't mean I'm against reuniting the lost with it's owner if I can do so. When I can't find the owner, the jewelry I've found is mine to do with as I see fit but that same piece that is meaningless to us (except for it's scrap value) can be priceless to the one who lost it. To not even try to return it seems a bit callous to me and I wouldn't choose a hunting partner that felt that way.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
dholland02 I found it odd that the word 'honestly' was even in your response but I guess you are being honest about your point of view.

I guess I'm the only one in here with the guts to say the truth. Guess that makes a criminal. Think what u want I dnt know u personal or hunt with u so I could careless
Your not the only one in here with the guts to say the truth. Im in here and the truth is, I find enough gold rings that when I find a ring that Im able to return, I have no problem giving it up. If you lost something that could be returned, who would you rather find it? Someone with your attitude or someone with mine? Not saying Im right and your wrong. What you do is your business. I guess its harder to return something when you dont find much.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess like I said b4 I dnt really care If anyone thinks I'm a bad person for Sayin how i feel on this. It's not my problem someone lost there rings

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's one way to find out if he's still in prison- NC DPS Offender Public Information , not that it matters if he is or not. Maybe he has kids and the mother is struggling financially and could use some money to help feed them. Just saying, this issue... it's not all black or white.

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess it varies by state. I found a high school class ring with the full name engraved inside the
ring. It's a 1984 ring so it's old and probably been lost for many years. Does anyone know the
laws regarding personnel items like this, is it ok to sell as scrap gold?

Just my two coppers: My two sons MD with me and I've taught them a long standing agreement: If you find jewelry, it's yours to keep. If you find a class ring, especially with name or info engraving, do whatever you reasonably can to find the owner.

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you care to Explain ? :occasion14:

Trying to figure out if I'm wrong that it's Illegal, if the owner finds out and Presses charges.

or if I'm wrong that a gung ho cop could arrest you for not turning over found gold rings,

or if I'm wrong class rings are the easiest item to trace

Or am I wrong that I return class rings that are not too old,

Or am I just Wrong because it sounds right ? :laughing7:

The cop scenario is completely true (seen it happen)

Easiest item to trace? Other than a medical ID bracelet with the address right inside of it, completely true

Also witnessed: Man finds Ring. Every effort exhausted to find owner, only to find out Other Man passed away about 10 years earlier. Man tries to sell Ring. Man meets Sheriff. Sheriff takes Ring, issues verbal chastising to Man for attempting to sell "stolen" property. Man exclaims in wonderment how Sheriff concludes Ring is "stolen". Man also explains Other Man is dead. Man shows Sheriff where Ring is found on Map. Sheriff says Other Man's next of kin have rights to it, and that area on Map is by the way, "historically protected". Man mutters bad words about Sheriff under breath. Sheriff asks what Man said. Man says he hopes Sheriff has wonderful day. Ring never seen again. Man goes home sad. Man beats Wife. Divorce.

-The End

--edited for punctuation

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
dholland02 I found it odd that the word 'honestly' was even in your response but I guess you are being honest about your point of view.

I guess I'm the only one in here with the guts to say the truth. Guess that makes a criminal. Think what u want I dnt know u personal or hunt with u so I could careless

It is these thoughts that make others distrust our hobby and ethics. If it is possible to return something, try to do it. If there is no way to tell who lost it, it is yours.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with it being only a 1984 ring - the owner would only be about 46 years old (say 18 years old in 1984 + 28 years from 1984 /2012) at 46 years old most likely the owner is still alive * and since you do have a "full name" and their high school --it is readily / easily "tracible" via their class reunion group of the school --their 30th reunion is due shortly * --(most states have laws requiring that you return "clearly marked items" if the owner can be found or require that you turn it into the police for a certain time frame and post a newspaper ad for a peroid of time before being able to claim "ownership" )-- unmarked items of course are "differant" since they can not be "traced" back to their owners -- but marked items if say the ring was reported stolen --- could be trouble for you if you sell it to a place and a police "check" of the stores goods "uncovers it" * some will just say "sell it" but their not the ones that will be on the hook legally speaking--- you will be if something goes wrong . with any marked goods if they are "new" enough that the owner could still be alive -- less than say 70 to 80 years old the "normal" human life span --its best to try to return it - in my "personal" veiw

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions