Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, all my wifes jewelry that's worth something is insured and most people do thy same thing.

Thanks for reminding me of the time when I searched this property and found bugger-all except this big massive silver hockey championship ring. I marched right up to the door, knocked and the son who was in his late teens came and answered. I handed him the ring and he smugly replied "oh yeah, my hockey ring. I guess I'll have 2 now." I noticed the exact one on his hand which he got replaced by the insurance company. He didn't even say thanks and closed door and I went home empty handed.
I would have returned it anyway but in this case I felt pretty empty afterwards with nothing to show for my day. He couldn't care less whether I had found it or not.
Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What, why would you want to sell it ? Would you want me to sell yours ? Wheres your ethics as a detector and a human being, not to mention morals. Give it a honest effort and if the original owner is not to be found then I would feel OK with it, but not until then. There is also something about listing it in a public newspaper and if no one claims it within some many days its legally yours, but try you will feel better for it. Good Luck on your decision
.... I sell it all and do not care what any one thinks................. I don't waste my time trying to find a owner...... most of the time like 99.9% of the time it is impossible .... So i just don't worry about it ...And oh yes i do sleep well............ And i am not a human being... I have no morals And i would not feel better about wasting my time over nothing.........

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
.... I sell it all and do not care what any one thinks................. I don't waste my time trying to find a owner...... most of the time like 99.9% of the time it is impossible .... So i just don't worry about it ...And oh yes i do sleep well............ And i am not a human being... I have no morals And i would not feel better about wasting my time over nothing.........

Keppy u might get crucified more than I did for saying the samething

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy u might get crucified more than I did for saying the samething
. .... well you see it is better to tell it like it is ..... like you did and i did..... You see most on here say what they think others want to hear.... For they want to look like a wonderful nice person to others............... So they fib a little about how good they are.... To me the ones that crucified you and i would do the same as we do ..........But tell a different story of what they do here on Tnet....LOOK AT ME I AM JUST A GREAT PERSON THEY SAY><<><><>

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
no sleep lost here either, i live by the "finders keepers" rule, i certainly didn't buy my equipment to become a free recovery service or to gain Karma......everything goes into my collection for my "rainy day" fund

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy there's a certain word that describes A lot of people by there post on this topic, but I wnt say it cuz I dnt want to get in trouble. Lol people sould be more aware of there personal belongings.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. .... well you see it is better to tell it like it is ..... like you did and i did..... You see most on here say what they think others want to hear.... For they want to look like a wonderful nice person to others............... So they fib a little about how good they are.... To me the ones that crucified you and i would do the same as we do ..........But tell a different story of what they do here on Tnet....LOOK AT ME I AM JUST A GREAT PERSON THEY SAY><<><><>

I've been trying to watch this thread closely ,
I Don't see anyone being crucified, I Don't think anything was deleted either.

I Just see opinions pro & con

Nothing wrong with that :dontknow:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been trying to watch this thread closely ,
I Don't see anyone being crucified, I Don't think anything was deleted either.

I Just see opinions pro & con

Nothing wrong with that :dontknow:
I know Jeff it is just a word some one threw it out so i threw it back out ..That's all ..

Tackem

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder, ShadowX2, Minelab Colt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a Thought would it not help Our Hobby to try to find the owners of the rings before claiming them for personal Gain . I recently went to a scene of an accident in my county where a Young person had a accident and rolled the vehicle as most teens do they have jewelry in their cars which was lost . I found the ring as well as many coins that was lost called the parents after a search of family members gave the ring to them since they lost something more valuable than the ring My reward was the smile on the Mothers Face JMHO

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've looked at this from the finder's aspect...let's consider the loser's viewpoint.

When I lose an object of value, I consider it gone. Never to return and with no expectations. Items mean very little to me (I do care well for what I have though) and once I've lost something it means even less...If it were my class ring and you contacted me I'd tell you thanks, but go ahead and keep it as a reward for being honest!

enjoy the hunt,
cc

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks for reminding me of the time when I searched this property and found bugger-all except this big massive silver hockey championship ring. I marched right up to the door, knocked and the son who was in his late teens came and answered. I handed him the ring and he smugly replied "oh yeah, my hockey ring. I guess I'll have 2 now." I noticed the exact one on his hand which he got replaced by the insurance company. He didn't even say thanks and closed door and I went home empty handed.
I would have returned it anyway but in this case I felt pretty empty afterwards with nothing to show for my day. He couldn't care less whether I had found it or not.
Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Muddy, I have heard of the same reception of others who tracked down owners. Sure, most of the time it's the happy re-union stories, peppered with "thankyous" and a great "who-dunn-it mystery" ending. Yeah. But other times, it's as you describe. Persons who look at you like your from outer space, take the object, and don't even give so much as a thankyou. I know a fellow, for example, who tracked down the owner of a class ring, and somehow made contact with the person. The person said "Mail it to such & such address" (because they were across the state from each other). The md'r said "send me the postage cost, or a SASE package at least". The owner said "if you don't mail it to me, I'm calling the police, because you have my property afterall". Can you believe it??

Another time, a friend of mine was hunting the beach, and a person came up to them asking for help finding a ring. My friend stopped what he was doing, and went to the other end of the beach, and spent nearly an hour scouring the area where the ring was supposed to have been lost. Meanwhile, the person who had enlisted his help, merely had gone back to playing volleyball with his college buddies. After an hour of work, and finally finding it, my friend came to interupt their game, and show the person the ring. The guy merely snatched it out of his hands, exclaimed with glee "that's it!", and ran back to continue to his game. My friend never got a thankyou or anything, and had just spent an hour of his time searching for this guy, in an area/part of the beach he had no intention of hunting that day.

Of course, we hope those ingrate stories are the exception.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly, all my wifes jewelry that's worth something is insured and most people do thy same thing. I can't imagine anyone get emotional over a class ring there the biggest waste of money, I wouldn't even have a clue where mine is at
..... My class ring like you i don't know were it is and could care less....... For all i know some one with a detector has found it and sold it........... Good for him..

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy, I have heard of the same reception of others who tracked down owners. Sure, most of the time it's the happy re-union stories, peppered with "thankyous" and a great "who-dunn-it mystery" ending. Yeah. But other times, it's as you describe. Persons who look at you like your from outer space, take the object, and don't even give so much as a thankyou. I know a fellow, for example, who tracked down the owner of a class ring, and somehow made contact with the person. The person said "Mail it to such & such address" (because they were across the state from each other). The md'r said "send me the postage cost, or a SASE package at least". The owner said "if you don't mail it to me, I'm calling the police, because you have my property afterall". Can you believe it??

Another time, a friend of mine was hunting the beach, and a person came up to them asking for help finding a ring. My friend stopped what he was doing, and went to the other end of the beach, and spent nearly an hour scouring the area where the ring was supposed to have been lost. Meanwhile, the person who had enlisted his help, merely had gone back to playing volleyball with his college buddies. After an hour of work, and finally finding it, my friend came to interupt their game, and show the person the ring. The guy merely snatched it out of his hands, exclaimed with glee "that's it!", and ran back to continue to his game. My friend never got a thankyou or anything, and had just spent an hour of his time searching for this guy, in an area/part of the beach he had no intention of hunting that day.

Tom your friend was asked to provide a service. He provided the service and should have provided the bill for said service.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom your friend was asked to provide a service. He provided the service and should have provided the bill for said service.

calisdad, you are absolutely right: Although most of us just enjoy to hunt (and like a "thankyou" in place of any monetary tip), yet ....... there is nothing wrong with stating a price for the service. I know another fellow who detected very popular beaches (lots of beach crowds) and would do so during peak times. Since he was in high traffic times, he got a lot of requests, over time, to search for things. Eventually, after doing some "wild goose chases" (things where they ended up having NO IDEA where they lost it), and other times feeling un-appreciated (people who don't even say thankyou), that he eventually developed a rate system for his time. I think it was something like $50 p/h, whether he finds it or not! That seems stiff, but ...... you're right, it was his time. And people willingly and happily accepted it a lot of times.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my experience those are definately the exception and not the rule. I've had people get indignant while I've held the door open for them. Remarks such as: "I'm not helpless!" or "don't rush me". I'm still going to hold doors open for people regardless of the few ungrateful A-holes out there.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you people tuning down reward money r simply nuts. Look at the price of ur detector and the time u put in lookin for stuff. Some say "oh the joy is the reward" give me a break we all know money talks and BS walks no ones turning money down

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you people tuning down reward money r simply nuts. Look at the price of ur detector and the time u put in lookin for stuff. Some say "oh the joy is the reward" give me a break we all know money talks and BS walks no ones turning money down

I only remember turning down rewards from friends.

although if someone asks me if I want something, after, I will usually say "no, that's ok".
or "whatever it's worth to you" depending on value & time used up.
and I Never have mentioned a price . NEVER
but I do accept all rewards offered to me.

as I said many times, Many ways I am a treasure Hunter,
& Yes money matters to me. but I would never put a price on hunting for something lost for someone
other then I get to keep everything else I find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you people tuning down reward money r simply nuts. ...........no ones turning money down

Your wrong there, I myself have turned down money as reward for returning a couple rings, including a ring that was a christmas present from a mother to her son...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a local highschool and lots of people know the guy, he has a record longer than my arm, he was in prison last anyone
knew. Not the kind of person I would care to offer it back or even let know I found it. I may just keep it awhile, seems the metal detecting hobby dosen't pay off in every case.

Let me remind all of you... The OP already knows who it belongs to (or has conferred with those who know of him). That's the difference here. I think he's kind of scared of the guy, because he has a record and may or may not be in prison.

I'm interested to know what the OP meant by this statement?--

"I may just keep it awhile, seems the metal detecting hobby doesn't pay off in every case."

The only way I would keep it (to sell immediately) after knowing who it belongs to is... if I was living paycheck to paycheck, a month away from homelessness and needed the money to help pay a bill or feed myself.

Luckily i'm 3 months away from homelessness, so i'm good to go! :laughing7:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me remind all of you... The OP already knows who it belongs to (or has conferred with those who know of him). That's the difference here. I think he's kind of scared of the guy, because he has a record and may or may not be in prison.

I'm interested to know what the OP meant by this statement?--

"I may just keep it awhile, seems the metal detecting hobby doesn't pay off in every case."

The only way I would keep it (to sell immediately) after knowing who it belongs to is... if I was living paycheck to paycheck, a month away from homelessness and needed the money to help pay a bill or feed myself.

Luckily i'm 3 months away from homelessness, so i'm good to go! :laughing7:

Yes I have to agree on this.

Just like I won't judge The OP for keeping it,
I wouldn't judge the original owner by his record.

I personally would have a hard time keeping something, if I knew the owner,
unless I was sure I needed to hand it to them directly & That was impossible at the moment.

I suppose if I was very hungry, Or stranded without gas somewhere, Survival instinct may get me to sell, or trade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread