jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my detector to benefit me, not to be providing a service to everyone who has lost something.

this is true for me also.

however good feelings and word of mouth
are a benefit when seen by certain people ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my detector to benefit me, not to be providing a service to everyone who has lost something.

BOOM BABY!
He has spoken. Typical of the kind of detectorist that this show has spawned!!! ::)::)::) Of course even fat boy gives a 30% cut (or was it 20%?).

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boom baby.jpg

BOOM BABY! Ruining detecting for everyone but my fat ass!!

LOL :laughing7:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

I am glad I don't subscribe to this line of reasoning. While I did buy my first detector back in 1968 to benefit myself, I have returned many lost objects over the past 44 years, and have attempted to return may more. I guess it all boils down to your own convictions as a person, but remember actions speak louder than words in defining who you really are.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a state has a staute on lost property, it overrides the treasure trove law. Most states have one on the books.

I keep a record of the people that contacted me about losing an item and if I find it they will get it back. I still have one guys heavy gold bracelet that I found but haven't been able to return it because he moved out of state. So in this case I have no way of returning it and will sell it and buy another detector. I ran an ad and post on Craig's list with no results.
However finding a plain wedding band with no id'ing marks I believe is mine after a period of time. In our park one of our Search & Recovery Team found this woman's tennis bracelet that has been lost for 2 years as it was over the drop off at the swim area and we lowered the water for the winter. We were able to contact her and she was very happy. I just wish I had a photo of the bracelet and her together again. But I have a new Iphone5 for taking photo's.:icon_thumleft: I usually keep a Waterproof Olympus 850 Sw with me when I hunt but left that one home on the charger.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually started MD b4 that show. But u can say what u want I really dnt care what u think. I'll never meet u or hunt with so u can call me what u want. Just like Keppy said I sleep well at night, I deff don't lose sleep over what someone on s forum thinks of me.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hey guys, I think what dholland meant by this quote, is not that he's going to be some selfish person, harmful to the hobby, like the tv "boom-baby" nonsense. I think tht dholland would gladly offer help if asked for, and return an identifiable thing (like a class -ring for instance), and ... yes .... even open doors for little old ladies. But I think what he was saying is he's not going to mess with such steps for things with no markings whatsoever (run found ads, etc...).

If I'm wrong, and he'll make no attempt at class rings either, then even then, I would not fault him, as this is the course of some who've had bad experiences doing it (I had a friend who had the police called on him, d/t it turned out the ring had been stolen in a home burglary, so now my friend was a suspect by the police, and the police weren't buying his "I found it" story, after my friend had tried to make contact with the student!).

But, no, I didn't interpret Dholland's comments to mean he'd never help someone, or return identifiable items, or keep things he'd been commissioned to hunt for.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it has no engravings at all it stays with me too....If someone can identify it without my showing it I will return it.

I want give one to someone who lost one that looks like it but can't identify it by marks or telltale scratch.

If it has no engraving I still ask what is engrave inside, same as I ask when it has engraving. I have had someone at beach try to claim one that was obviously trying to scam me, when I asked what was engraved he said he forgot exact engraving something something to my wife, I said oops not this ring it has no engraving.

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 days ago a frind of mine gathered 5 friends with metal detectors to help him find a brand new hearing aid he had lost when confronted by a swarm of angry meat bees. We spent an hour and a half to 2 hours and finally one of us found it. He promised a $200 reward and the finder refused payment, as I think all of us would have, merely saying he was now just owed a favor.

That's the world I live in and I like it like that.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Hey guys, I think what dholland meant by this quote, is not that he's going to be some selfish person, harmful to the hobby, like the tv "boom-baby" nonsense. I think tht dholland would gladly offer help if asked for, and return an identifiable thing (like a class -ring for instance), and ... yes .... even open doors for little old ladies. But I think what he was saying is he's not going to mess with such steps for things with no markings whatsoever (run found ads, etc...).

If I'm wrong, and he'll make no attempt at class rings either, then even then, I would not fault him, as this is the course of some who've had bad experiences doing it (I had a friend who had the police called on him, d/t it turned out the ring had been stolen in a home burglary, so now my friend was a suspect by the police, and the police weren't buying his "I found it" story, after my friend had tried to make contact with the student!).

But, no, I didn't interpret Dholland's comments to mean he'd never help someone, or return identifiable items, or keep things he'd been commissioned to hunt for.

Ur right Tom, all I ment was I'm not going outta my way to track someone down. If It's a class ring and Ita someone I know or hear of someone lost it I'd turn it Over but I'm not posting adds or tuning it over to the cops. Same with at the beach. But if someone offers me money for finding it u bet I'll take it no if ands or buts.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sad you feel that way. I find it one of those most rewarding parts of the hobby.

TCAWarriors

Apr 7, 2012
East Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
2 days ago a frind of mine gathered 5 friends with metal detectors to help him find a brand new hearing aid he had lost when confronted by a swarm of angry meat bees. We spent an hour and a half to 2 hours and finally one of us found it. He promised a $200 reward and the finder refused payment, as I think all of us would have, merely saying he was now just owed a favor.

That's the world I live in and I like it like that.

I only have one question.... What the heck is a meat bee?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ur right Tom, all I ment was I'm not going outta my way to track someone down. If It's a class ring and Ita someone I know or hear of someone lost it I'd turn it Over but I'm not posting adds or tuning it over to the cops. Same with at the beach. But if someone offers me money for finding it u bet I'll take it no if ands or buts.
That is right if you know were to find the person then give it back.......... But i am not going out of my way to find a owner...............To post adds , check with the cops , Make it my life's work , If i get it and look at it and it don't have a name on it.............. " IT"S MINE " ALL MINE :::::: But if i do know who it belongs to and that person is a snoob . or A jerk .... It is still MINE

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you people tuning down reward money r simply nuts. Look at the price of ur detector and the time u put in lookin for stuff. Some say "oh the joy is the reward" give me a break we all know money talks and BS walks no ones turning money down
Sounds like you are just trying to get everyone ticked off with your comments...if what your saying is really how you feel, good luck with life because its going to be tough on you. People that keep saying they dont care what someone thinks about them, usually care the most.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you are just trying to get everyone ticked off with your comments...if what your saying is really how you feel, good luck with life because its going to be tough on you. People that keep saying they dont care what someone thinks about them, usually care the most.
... lookindown .. I hate to say this but i don't care......... If i find something and then do not try to find the owner ...... I am happy about that no matter what anyone thinks.......... You could call me careless......... That's not right for then i would be the one that lost the item you guys find............ You get it to lose a item i would be careless..

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
... lookindown .. I hate to say this but i don't care......... If i find something and then do not try to find the owner ...... I am happy about that no matter what anyone thinks.......... You could call me careless......... That's not right for then i would be the one that lost the item you guys find............ You get it to lose a item i would be careless..

As George Carlin would say, "People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think."

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As George Carlin would say, "People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think."
...Yes but you might not know this but...George was wrong sometimes....And why should i care what any one on the net thinks i really don't know them....... So why should i care what someone thinks that i don't know...........The only forums i go on are treasure forums....... I don't go on facebook or twitter . oh yes i do go on the aboristsite.com .... That is for ones that trim & cut down trees and talk about chainsaws..........And that is all i do in forums....... I don't care what you think i don't care i really don't care ..........and as my buddy ...Ric would say.............................................................................................................................................................................BOOM BABY>. I don't care i don't care ..... so now you think i care ..... but i don't care...... You know i could be a song writer....i got a new profession.......... oh my god i am a song writer now............

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread