chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Did you try to find the person who lost it? I would do everything in my power to find the owner 1st, you may get a reward. If you can't locate the owner then you should have no problem scrapping it.

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US treasure trove laws say yes. You found it you do not have to return it. But most do.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's is illegal if the person who lost it, finds out, and files charges.

Or if the wrong cop finds out, and can prove you really sold it as scrap without
turning it over to them first.

Personally since class rings are the easiest item to trace I would at least try.

only exceptions would be class rings where the
owner & the school are now extinct

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to track the owner down.... If it has the full name it should be fairly easy...

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
it's is illegal if the person who lost it, finds out, and files charges.

Or if the wrong cop finds out, and can prove you really sold it as scrap without
turning it over to them first.

Personally since class rings are the easiest item to trace I would at least try.

only exceptions would be class rings where the
owner & the school are now extinct

Wrong

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be smart and don't try selling it to a pawn shop or "cash for gold" place. You'll be lucky if they give you 1/10th of it's real value.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you care to Explain ? :occasion14:

Trying to figure out if I'm wrong that it's Illegal, if the owner finds out and Presses charges.

or if I'm wrong that a gung ho cop could arrest you for not turning over found gold rings,

or if I'm wrong class rings are the easiest item to trace

Or am I wrong that I return class rings that are not too old,

Or am I just Wrong because it sounds right ? :laughing7:

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just have a diff mindset than most people, I feel if I find a ring of value it's mine and it's gonna help fund my hobby. People souldnt be careless with stuff like that

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "finders keepers" concept is an incorrect one when it comes to the law. There are specific state by state laws concerning the finding of "lost" items. Almost all state that any item above a fairly nominal value should be turned into police or other official. They are then required to hold for a certain period and some will even place ads in papers etc. after a certain period - usually a few months - if the item is not claimed it becomes yours. Obviously given how hard these laws are to enforce and it really works off an honor system to turn in items it is usually never enforced. Most of these laws stretch way back and were written to deal with livestock that had wandered off property. Most of the time you can google search lost found law and your state and you can come up with your states laws. Whether folks choose to follow them or not is another story. Search on this board on this topic I believe folks have discussed quite a bit and have provided links to the various state laws.

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to look up treasure trove laws. After a certain point of time That is considered a nominal length of time The original owner does not find their property that is lost. Or doesn't attempt to look for it Voluntarily gives up ownership to said property.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to look up treasure trove laws. After a certain point of time That is considered a nominal length of time The original owner does not find their property that is lost. Or doesn't attempt to look for it Voluntarily gives up ownership to said property.

Thank You :icon_thumleft:

I personally thought treasure trove laws only applied to water ways & large Treasures Countries can claim.

no i don't know everything :tongue3:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dhollando2.....the most thrifty, careful, and cautious person you have ever met has lost items in their life. Not trying to start an argument I promise, but even the best drivers on the planet can have ( didn't say will have ) that one momentary lapse and have and accident. Just saying ....being human means we make mistakes. The issue of whether to return such an item really fascinates me due to how varied the response is from people of similar ethics and backgrounds. My honest response would be to return it if at all possible, but I will admit I wouldn't mind finding one that could not be returned from time to time as well. In today's economy especially. Long and short ......let YOUR conscience be your guide. One of the main reasons many of us metal detect is to find items of either historical or monetary value.

Just thought I would try to muddy the water a little more:icon_thumleft:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law...fascinating subject! Personally, I prefer to do what I feel to be the 'right' thing to do. Seems like I'll have less to account for in the end that way.

Class of '84 would mean the original owner is only mid-forties or so... If the owner can't be located (ring probably has sentimental value) then sell it!

peace,
cc

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why when I got out and someone comes up and ask if I've found anything I always say no just junk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
0121 stock-picker has the "technical" answer right: All 50 states have "lost & found" laws, which require you to turn in any item, to the police, over a certain dollar amount. Like in CA (for instance) the criteria threshold is $100 value. The law does not state how this is valued. Eg.: the "melt" intrinsic value of an item? or the replacement cost? etc.... For example: the "intrinsic" scrap value of a brand new I-phone may be 30 cents (silicon, a few ounces of metals, etc..), yet obviously it's worth over $100 on ebay :) Or a class ring might have only $70 scrap gold value, yet costs buyers at their school $300! (or whatever).

I ran this question by a lawyer friend of mine, and oddly, when posed with this ambiguity (how to value something), he said to just turn it in, and let the cops decide. ALSO the law makes no distinction about when YOU think something was lost. For example: if you found the ring 6" deep, indicating it was lost for over 50 yrs, (based on relative strata's of coin depths there), the law, again, makes no distinction of when YOU think it was "abandoned". Because, heck, then everyone could simply disregard the law and say "but I thought this giant gold ring was abandoned".

Yes, the L&F laws were born out of wandering cattle type things in the 1800s (so the neighbors couldn't simply say "I found it"). And are still logically applied to things like if the back door of a brinks armored car opens up, and wads of cash spill out (so passerbys can't simply say "I found it", and walk away). So the laws make sense, lest every thief caught with stolen merchandise could simply say "I found it", and think they had no obligation to seek out the owner (turn it in to the police).

But let's face it: None of us are doing it. A quick look at any beach hunters forum, and you will see nice rings posted all the time by md'rs in the gloating "today's finds" forums, right? But do you really think any of them are running down to the police station each time to turn it in?

In 30 days, if no one claims the item, the finder gets to keep it. But it's fraught with other issues though: Like in some states, if the value exceeds a certain dollar value ($250 in CA for example), the police will run a public notice in the local paper, inviting people to come down and identify and claim your property (with some sort of vague description, and I guess you have to come down and provide whatever proof that it's yours). But if the item is still not claimed by anyone, then the finder gets it. But get this: guess who has to pay for the cost of the newspaper found ad? YOU DO (if you intended to keep it after that 30 days).

And quite frankly, I'd be concerned that things you turn in to the cops would always have an owner "found", simply via ... well .... how do I put this .... "corruption". I mean, what's to stop someone there from simply picking up the phone, calling their uncle Fred, and saying: "Hey uncle Fred, do you want a nice Rolex? Come down to the station, and describe a rolex with these features, lost at such & such beach, and presto, you'll have yourself a nice new rolex". Sounds dastardly and evil, but think about it: In the eyes of the cops, it wasn't yours TO BEGIN WITH. You only "found" it. So what have you lost? You turned it in with the full expectation that it might be claimed.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And quite frankly, I'd be concerned that things you turn in to the cops would always have an owner "found", simply via ... well .... how do I put this .... "corruption". I mean, what's to stop someone there from simply picking up the phone, calling their uncle Fred, and saying: "Hey uncle Fred, do you want a nice Rolex? Come down to the station, and describe a rolex with these features, lost at such & such beach, and presto, you'll have yourself a nice new rolex". Sounds dastardly and evil, but think about it: In the eyes of the cops, it wasn't yours TO BEGIN WITH. You only "found" it. So what have you lost? You turned it in with the full expectation that it might be claimed.

Cops are people too. There are just as many crooks in the police ranks as there are in general society. No, I would never blindly turn over a ring, or watch, or anything I recovered from detecting to the local police.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One way to look at an old class ring might be that the owner just lost it and had been wearing it all this time - ie has great sentimental value. I always try and do everything I can to return items that I think have sentimental value along with monetary value - wedding rings/bands, class rings, anything with an inscription, etc. items that I think I would be really devastated if I lost it.

I usually call up cops, department of public works, town hall and inquire if anyone has reported a list ring, etc. - ie if it really means something to the person I think they would report it as lost. I agree that turning it in and waiting for the time to elapse is probably not the wisest thing to do given that others may not be as honorable as you!! But in the end it's up to you as it is the honor system.

On a side note I have also "leveraged" a return to the public works/ cops by saying to give me a call if anyone reports a lost item and I will look for it. A good way to make good with town officials so you have a little more freedom to detect as you please. A returned item also really helps the reputation/image of our hobby that - lets face it - is often viewed with some suspicion. Something to think about.

E

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
chuckinnc,
Welcome to Treasure Net,
In my treasure hunting experience, I have enjoyed great pleasure in returning found objects to their owners. Sometimes, like returning a class ring, the pleasure of watching the expression on the owner's face or hearing his/her comments gives me greater pleasure than the find itself. And there is always the change of a financial reward !!
To me, finding a personal historic item (and a class ring is such) then destroying it for its (minimal) cash value is the crime.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread