Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets pretty repetitious with all the posts asking what detector one should "upgrade" to.

I would love to know if anyone has "downgraded" from an expensive machine to a more basic turn on and go model.

What detector did you have and what did you end up getting instead?

I'm using the terminology that most use on this forum, as I don't believe going from a detector that I have mastered, that is more than capable, and has paid for it's self a thousand times over, to a fancy "bells and whistle" machine is considered an "upgrade." To me anyway.

Have any experiences to share?

Thanks.
Dave.

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If your detector has paid for itself 1000 times over, use the money to get an UPGRADE.

Downgrade,WHY ! Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process presently. I've had a Whites 6000di Pro SL since about 1992 and consider it to be one of the best general purpose detectors ever made but lately my bad rotator cuff only allows me to use it for short periods. In an effort to continue the hobby I did a lot of research on lighter models (Whites) and after talking with several shop owners it boiled down to the Prizim 6T. The weight differential is tremendous...it feels like you could mail it for a single Forever stamp. It has all the "bells & whistles". I',m going through the learning curve right now trying to get used to it. It does seem to get as deep as my 6000di does. So far, testing in the old parks, neither has picked up anything the other overlooked.

For my testing I'll use one and mark any hits eventually getting the other fired up to check the spot. I alternate back and forth as to which I start with and use it for about an hour each. So far my unscientific conclusion is that they're nearly identical in performance, but the 6000 has much better discrimination, especially in trashy areas. Let's face it...even the worst performing detector perform excellent if finding trash is your goal. I'm still learning the Prizim 6T so it may just be the learning curve is the reason for the 6000di outperfroming it. I sure do like its weight though....

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would I "Upgrade" when I do quite well with my current mid-range detector?

It's not a stupid question to ask when I'm sure some have convinced themselves to buy the latest, greatest miracle machine only to go back to what has always worked for them.

I do know a few people who bought a cheaper back-up detector only to find it more suitable than their higher priced unit.

Anyone else? Or am I barking up the wrong tree in a forest of manufacturing hype?

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process presently. I've had a Whites 6000di Pro SL since about 1992 and consider it to be one of the best general purpose detectors ever made but lately my bad rotator cuff only allows me to use it for short periods. In an effort to continue the hobby I did a lot of research on lighter models (Whites) and after talking with several shop owners it boiled down to the Prizim 6T. The weight differential is tremendous...it feels like you could mail it for a single Forever stamp. It has all the "bells & whistles". I',m going through the learning curve right now trying to get used to it. It does seem to get as deep as my 6000di does. So far, testing in the old parks, neither has picked up anything the other overlooked.

For my testing I'll use one and mark any hits eventually getting the other fired up to check the spot. I alternate back and forth as to which I start with and use it for about an hour each. So far my unscientific conclusion is that they're nearly identical in performance, but the 6000 has much better discrimination, especially in trashy areas. Let's face it...even the worst performing detector perform excellent if finding trash is your goal. I'm still learning the Prizim 6T so it may just be the learning curve is the reason for the 6000di outperfroming it. I sure do like its weight though....

I know a few guys who will never fill that 6000 hole and wish they could still swing it. One the best machines Whites ever made. Have you tried a harness?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

Good post......I used a Garrett Grand Master hunter about 10 or so years ago....all kinds of bells and whistle and it even talked to you....kind of like the GPS units....had about 7 different programs, etc....I did ok with it but it was heavy and a pain with all the adjustments required, etc....

Now my everyday machine is a Tesoro DeLeon like you a mid range unit...single tone pretty much a beep and dig machine....considering I pretty much stick to urban green spaces I do make some ok finds....lol...you've see quite a few
of them so you know.

From my experience of about 20 years or so the hardest part seems to be to get your coil over the keepers and decide to
dig it up.

Regards + HH

Bill

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a few guys who will never fill that 6000 hole and wish they could still swing it. One the best machines Whites ever made. Have you tried a harness?

No I haven't...I spoke with Jimmy Sierra about it but he couldn't locate anyone that still had any of the modified units. I keep telling myself that when I finish my testing and am comfortable with the new unit I'll sell the 6000di Pro SL but it'll be hard. It still looks practically new and has never needed repair. When you're used to something it's very difficult to get used to something new...especially when it's the switch from analog to digital. The new digitals are more intuitive but I had a problem convincing myself it's intuition is right.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ONE thing that sold me on the 6000di Pro SL was a fine ladies chain I found in a park. I almost passed it up but it was a clear case of knowing your detector. It provided me a very, very faint chirp. It was repetitive but barely perceptable. Finally, for whatever reason I moved the coil to the side and tilted it and was provided with a better signal and repeatable. When I dug it...it was at a full 10 inches and the reason for the signal pattern was the chain was actually "hanging" straight down. The very faint signal was because the area exposed to the coil from overhead was extremely small....when tilted, effectively reading it from the side it presented a larger target. It was the best lesson I learned in my years of detecting about learning and having confidence in your detector regardless of make and model.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Quantum XT back in the late '90's and really liked it. This was one step below the higest end model Spectrum XLT. I traded up and never liked the more advanced machine. I ended up selling the XLT and just using my Tesoro Sidewinder.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Um my post disappeared before I posted it.

Yes, I had a White's Quantum XT and was very happy with it. Upgraded to the Spectrum XLT and never had the same luck. I ended up selling that machine. I already had my Tesoro Sidewinder and never got a machine to replace the high end one.

Lesson learned...don't trade up just because a machine has more bells and whistles when you have a machine you really synch with. Retire an old machine yes, but that's a whole different set of considerations.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a change from a tack hammer to a sledge hammer and upgrade? I'd say it depends on your needs. Some of the changes mentioned here were actually upgrades. In some cases, you need to fully understand the new machine to make it an upgrade. The best machine in the world won't find a quarter at 3" if it's way out of adjustment.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being able to use a 500 dollar unit to its fullest makes more sense than scratching your head over all the bells and whistles of a 5000 dollar unit. TTC

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

Good post......I used a Garrett Grand Master hunter about 10 or so years ago....all kinds of bells and whistle and it even talked to you....kind of like the GPS units....had about 7 different programs, etc....I did ok with it but it was heavy and a pain with all the adjustments required, etc....

Now my everyday machine is a Tesoro DeLeon like you a mid range unit...single tone pretty much a beep and dig machine....considering I pretty much stick to urban green spaces I do make some ok finds....lol...you've see quite a few
of them so you know.

From my experience of about 20 years or so the hardest part seems to be to get your coil over the keepers and decide to
dig it up.

Regards + HH

Bill

An old timer that I know bought the same "Talking Garrett" after his 6000 died and did nothing but curse that machine. He paid close to 2 grand for that detector back when it first came out and our dollar was weak. He wouldn't be the first guy I knew who yearned for that old Whites!
I know you understand all about gridding, digging iffy signals, all the variables, etc. Yes, I've seen some of your nice keepers. 8-)
Glad your still content with the DeLeon.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ONE thing that sold me on the 6000di Pro SL was a fine ladies chain I found in a park. I almost passed it up but it was a clear case of knowing your detector. It provided me a very, very faint chirp. It was repetitive but barely perceptable. Finally, for whatever reason I moved the coil to the side and tilted it and was provided with a better signal and repeatable. When I dug it...it was at a full 10 inches and the reason for the signal pattern was the chain was actually "hanging" straight down. The very faint signal was because the area exposed to the coil from overhead was extremely small....when tilted, effectively reading it from the side it presented a larger target. It was the best lesson I learned in my years of detecting about learning and having confidence in your detector regardless of make and model.

That would be a confidence builder for sure!
Another guy I know always tells me how he loves the fact that the old 6000 can tell you how long or wide the object is by the signal. My 1266x is the same in those regards.
Some of the newer detectors just make the same overload signal and don't give a lot of information from the audio. That would be the analog vs digital comparison.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a change from a tack hammer to a sledge hammer and upgrade? I'd say it depends on your needs. Some of the changes mentioned here were actually upgrades. In some cases, you need to fully understand the new machine to make it an upgrade. The best machine in the world won't find a quarter at 3" if it's way out of adjustment.

Yeah, I ran into a guy who didn't find anything all day......He was running the wrong program! :laughing7:
Cheers.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

Yep....do the gridding digging iffy signals, etc....pretty much have to...as most of my sites have been hit pretty hard and not many obvious coin type signals left....

Friday detecting a sports field in the next city.....got a bit of clad and pulled out an iffy signal near the goal posts...turned out it was a gold pendant with the chain intact....regardless of machine anyone could have passed this signal over as a piece of junk....

Today at a nearby sports field around the soccer net got a overload type of signal and turned out being a 52.9 grams silver chain....again someone could have passed it over as just another piece of junk....the retail value of the 2 items are probably about the cost of my every day machine.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

An old timer that I know bought the same "Talking Garrett" after his 6000 died and did nothing but curse that machine. He paid close to 2 grand for that detector back when it first came out and our dollar was weak. He wouldn't be the first guy I knew who yearned for that old Whites!
I know you understand all about gridding, digging iffy signals, all the variables, etc. Yes, I've seen some of your nice keepers. 8-)
Glad your still content with the DeLeon.

Attachments

• DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 86

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
I have a Ace 250 & a White's XLT......I play mostly with 250...simple machine for a simple mind.I run all metal mode in most of my hunting areas which are rural & I dig everything.I have not found anything of real value,but I really enjoy seeing what will reveal itself out of the ground.
I have hunted some very trashy areas & usally switch coin mode .I will spend more time with the XLT.I bought the XLT at a flea market & I am not sure everything working properly.
Would it be worthwhile to send it to White's to confirm all is working correctly....any thoughts would be appreciated.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Mapper123, First go to Whites site and download the manual. Next try out all the programs with air tests. If you find a problem, contact Whites. They do great work at reasonable rates. I have been using the XLT for over 10 years with no problems. I use the jewelry and coin program most. To pinpoint just pull the trigger and move the coil around over the target. When you get the lowest dept reading, the target is in the dead center of the coil. To find the size of the target, move the coil in until you get the signal then repeat on the other 3 sides. You then know the size of the target. Remember the dept indicator, as with most detectors, is calibrated in coin size targets so a larger target will indicate as shallower than it is. Hope this helps, frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 148

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
Frankn....thank you for the reply.....I have downloaded the manual,but have not spent a lot time with & the machine....When I tire myself out digging all metal trash I will spend more time evaluating the XLT.....I have read a lot of good comments about the machine & it will be another learning curve for me to tackle.I will use your suggestions & again thank you for the reply & suggestions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread