metal detector test site

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am going to be setting up a permanent test site for all types of detectors. I want to bury some metal in the ground that will read about the same as gold. Unfortunately I don't have any spare gold sitting around. What would be the best metal to bury? I have heard that stainless steel is close. Also, other than real silver, what would mimic silver? I have a bunch of lead lying around. I need this info ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to compare how different detectors detect gold and silver in a test garden you need to bury gold and silver if you want the results to have any meaning and credibility....

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Having real gold to leave permanently in the ground is not going to happen. What would be the next best alternative? I am sure I might get my hands on some silver but this will all be left in an unguarded area so it would not be smart to put anything of real value there. The idea is to see how deep your detector will go compared to others. If you think this is not worth the trouble please let me know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt realize you were planting ground in area you didn't' own I wouldn't plant gold and silver if it wasn't on my personal property either.

You can plant stainless steel washers, brass washers, lead fishing weights, BBs, even costume jewelry, but without real gold and silver your not going to be able to compare or report how they respond to them.

Just my opinion...

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I realize not using the real thing will have its limitations. The idea is to be able to verify how deep your detector can detect non-ferrous metal. You will also be able to do a comparison on the same object with other detectors. There are a lot of claims as to how deep some of the detectors will pick up on a deeper object 2-8 feet. Seeing is believing. This is just to use as an experiment. I will be setting this up at the barbecue site at the Penwood Inn. I am going to do precise measurements while burying objects with a post hole digger. I have lead, stainless steel and can get brass. Is any one of them better to use than the others?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they will all be freshly buried targets, that is different than targets that have been in ground for weeks, months or years. You get a much more accurate test on test gardens buried months and years, fresh buried is almost like air test.

It is hard to compare different detectors unless each detector test is done by someone familiar with the detector being tested.

I'm on call that weekend, still trying to get someone to swap with me...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Treasure Hunter that it probably won't be "real world" accurate unless you bury the exact type metal in the correct size and shape and leave it underground for years. That being said, to get as close as possible, you'll want to bury something very similar to the item you wish to mimic. If you want to bury something to act like a gold ring for instance, use a pull tab. A piece of aluminum will act like silver if you get the right size piece. Whichever metal you use, add a little plant fertilizer to help accelerate the age of the metal you bury. It will help produce a bigger halo around the target that happens naturally albeit over a period of years.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Treasure_Hunter, Dbersh and cudamark. This was a more or less last minute idea I had. There may be hundreds of treasure hunters at our charity barbecue and there will also be representatives from different metal detecting companies. I wanted to set something up to test detectors against other detectors under the same exact circumstances. Since I am going to the trouble and I am able to leave it all there I am just trying to do the best I can. I also have a lot of other things I am involved in at this event so I can only do so much. The event is this Saturday and I won't be onsite till Friday around noon. I think I am going to bury some aluminum, stainless steel, lead, brass, and iron. I will put some in different holes at varying depths. It is just something extra for everyone to try out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something as a thought.... You can always bury the targets in plastic plant containers, then you can take them with you when you leave..... that way you can bury some gold and still have it with you....

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you want to set up a test garden for gold and silver you have to bury gold and silver. We did it to test our White Sierra Madre. We buried 3.5lbs of junk silver at 14 inches so we could test it with the 9.5 in coil and the 15 inch coil. We also buried an oz of gold. Gold and Silver give a different tone (softer) than iron or steel or aluminum. If you just want to test for metal go out in the backyard and hit the septic tank lid and save yourself the trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread