help with equipment

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Necessary gear depends on where you intend to search. For routine coin hunting you need a thingy for probing in the ground to locate the coin. I like a bayonet since it wedges inside a ring or pull tab and your not poking in and out of it wondering where it is. A screw driver is also nice. Many hunters wouldn't be without an electronic pinpointer, but I feel that is a crouch for lousy pinpointing. A two or three pouch apron to hold goodies and junk. What you think are the oldest coins should be wrapped in paper and placed in a secure inner pocket. Some kind of trowel that is heavy duty. Special ones are made for the hobby. NO SHOVELS!! To carry a shovel in a park is to invite many bad vibes to our hobby. A shovel is OK out in the "Boonies," still you need to fill your holes. A cloth to set the plug on if you need to dig a plug. This allows all dirt to be placed back in the hole and a find is more easily located on a cloth if it falls out of the plug. Maybe knee pads.

Beaches are a whole different ballgame.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Good points Sandman. You don't need to carry a whole bunch of stuff-it's not like you're digging a storm cellar. ;) Keep it simple. However, there are certain tools for certain areas-depending on the type of soil, terrain, and locale.
For the most part, a good knife, screwdriver (for probe and popping), a ground cloth, and the aforementioned pouch should cover most any situation.

S

sendin

Absolutely depends on type of hunting and location. I've seen some amazing lists posted on TNet in response to this question - first aid kits, cell phones, clothing etc.

I try to bring what I need in order to leave the place looking like I was never there. I use a pin-pointer even though I am pretty good at pin-pointing with my detector. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so the pin-pointer helps. I use a home-made double edge dagger that is 9.5" long in a leather sheath (looks too much like a weapon) for cutting plugs and digging and a small old military double-end pick (point on one side and flat blade on the other, that is too heavy), an old towel for wiping the dirt off the blade and pin-pointer, a rolled up plastic garbage bag that I lay out for keeping dug soil off the grass. I try to bring water and something to eat because I usually loose track of time and detect past lunch time and end up hungry and/or thirsty. I keep finds in my BDU pants pockets (two cargo pockets on each leg). I just hang the pin-pointer, blade, towel and pick from a regular pants belt and keep the plastic garbage bag rolled up and stuffed into one of my pants pockets. Ball cap is nice to keep the sun off your face and most are compatible with head-phones. I think good head-phones are a must.

If you snoop around on TNet you can find lists that might suit you better for your type of hunting and location.

OP
OP
K

kathy1945

Greenie
Dec 2, 2006
Camden, Benton County TN
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505 (made by Bounty Hunter)
Thanks everybody. That's the kind of useful real-life info I need. I'd been confused by manufacturers' lists and folks that like to carry everything but the kitchen sink, which is nice if it makes you comfortable, but I wanted the essentials because I'm a minimalist myself. Thanks again. Kathy

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Kat 45,

"I'm a minimalist myself"

Heck, dump the detector and go out there
with a forked stick ;) ;D

Welcome to the board, hope to be seeing
your finds.

have a good un...........