Help me decide please

johnnydarms

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off a water proof detctor is a must although I will do no detecting in the water. For some reason my great state believes if it is in the water it should stay in the water. As far as the beach I am limited to the area between the water line and dunes. I will be accessing a lot of areas by kayak and this is the reason for needing a water proof detector. I will also be hitting up the parks and local schools not to mention several of my friends houses that were built prior to 1960.

I have spent a lot of time reading reviews and let me tell you it has not been easy. Many people are brand loyal so finding objective reviews and comparisons is like trying to find a needle in a haystack :BangHead:

Price wise I feel these are fairly comparable and I can not see spending close to 1k or more on my first unit.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to (there are things I like about each):

Fishers 1280 X

Garrett Sea Hunter II

Tesoro Sand Shark or Tiger Shark

I have read reviews that say all of these units are decent units and each had some iffy reviews. One review that caught my eye was on the Tiger Shark. I do not remember who wrote it or where I found it. The author (who detects full time) did a side by side with a PI unit (not SS). There were a few cases that the PI unit did not pick up on some small gold. The tiger shark was also passing up a lot of the junk that the PI hitting on.

I will do a bit more research over the next week before I pull the trigger and purchase one. I am really leaning towards the tiger shark. Would like the opinions of some y'all more experienced than me. I would also like to know what size coil to purchase.

I do have a good understanding of PI, VLF.

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to go give my brain a rest now.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to hunt parks, schools, and homesites, I wouldn't get a PI unit. There is just too much iron junk for those to be a good choice. With your price range limits, I would probably go with the Garrett AT gold. Plenty of features and good bang for the buck.

OP
OP
J

johnnydarms

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to hunt parks, schools, and homesites, I wouldn't get a PI unit. There is just too much iron junk for those to be a good choice. With your price range limits, I would probably go with the Garrett AT gold. Plenty of features and good bang for the buck.

The problem is I need a water proof unit. There is always the chance of flipping my kayak. Havent done it yet but if/when I do I need the unit to be water proof.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go johnnydarms, now you are given yet a fourth option from someone you don't know.. :icon_thumright:

Come to think of it, you don't know me either so I'll chime in too.... :tongue3:

My advise is to go with the one that has the coolest LOGO on it... After all this may be considered a geek type hobby and there is no reason to look extra nerdy :headbang:

Now that my friend is sound advice :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

johnnydarms

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go johnnydarms, now you are given yet a fourth option from someone you don't know.. :icon_thumright:

Come to think of it, you don't know me either so I'll chime in too.... :tongue3:

My advise is to go with the one that has the coolest LOGO on it... After all this may be considered a geek type hobby and there is no reason to look extra nerdy :headbang:

Now that my friend is sound advice :icon_thumright: :laughing7:
That my friend is sound advice. You rock!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem is I need a water proof unit. There is always the chance of flipping my kayak. Havent done it yet but if/when I do I need the unit to be water proof.

Then go with the TIGER Shark, a single frequency VLF detector that is great for FRESH water, Dry sand and dirt because it can discriminate out iron. DO NOT get a Sand Shark or any other pulse induction machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Gold is waterproof to 10'.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tie a tether on it and attach it to a float or the kayak. Even if you drop an Excalibur in deep water, you're not likely to find it unless you have it tied to something. He's just crossing the water, not hunting in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread