Newbie Needs to Crack the Code

D

DeepThought

I've hit the wall.....trying to find a place I can work that has had enough past traffic to leave artifacts behind. Nothing left behind....nothing detected, etc (the math behind some posts' finds would indicate hordes of extremely careless had played soccer in the area with holes in their pants for the past 30 years). And while the local parks - slim that they may be - don't have restrictions against detecting, start digging the smallest of holes and watch things light up. I don't mean to bark...I am just trying to "crack the code". Enthusiasm is waning

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is forget the tot lots & go for the cache!
Do some research, head out to old forgotten homesites, etc. Cache hunting is by far the way to go. No prying eyes, no 20 questions from curious kids,etc.

Just get permission to go on private property and cash in on a buried cache of treasure. Of course I have greatly simplified the art, but you get the idea.

Your tracker IV will do just fine, I have 3 of them each outfitted with a different size coil. The 4" coil for getting the small stuff in hard to reach places and the largest 10.25" for the deep large caches. Just hunt in all metal mode with no discrimination and adjust the sensitivity to barely above threshold, and wear headphones. All those things combined will get you the deepest signals possible and also allow you to hear the faintest signals.

Read this account of a cache that financed a new car and retirement to Florida: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...-true-treasure-tale-long-but-whole-story.html

There would be plenty more stories like the above but most folks keep the really big scores quiet.

Go for the gold,
GG~

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to crack the code :dontknow: You need one of these :headbang:

Attachments

• EnigmaMachineLabeled.jpg
    EnigmaMachineLabeled.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 115

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting buddy and I gave up on parks. We now seek out demo lots and our finds (especially silver) have sky rocketed. Look around your town and see if they are tearing down old homes, buildings, sidewalks etc. If you see a demo company working a lot ask about hunting while they are working or after they are done for the day. We have even had demo crews tell us "we are heading over to (such and such) why dont you guys come by and see what you can find?"

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
i to go to old places i would expect great finds but come up with nothing, even some places where i know no one has ever been with a detector.. but to be honest, some of my best findings were in places i wouldnt even expect anything of importance or value at all.

i get fed up at times and quit for a week or two but after reading through and looking at others post here on the site i work up the courage to get back out there and search.

you just gotta keep at it... ill admit nearly 99.9% of my findings each day are junk.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hit the wall.....trying to find a place I can work that has had enough past traffic to leave artifacts behind. Nothing left behind....nothing detected, etc (the math behind some posts' finds would indicate hordes of extremely careless had played soccer in the area with holes in their pants for the past 30 years). And while the local parks - slim that they may be - don't have restrictions against detecting, start digging the smallest of holes and watch things light up. I don't mean to bark...I am just trying to "crack the code". Enthusiasm is waning

Farm fields baby, think Farm Fields!

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my finds from two demo lots today: 2 1947 silver Rosie dimes, 1 1919-d Mercury dime, 29 wheat pennies and some clad. My hunting buddy got a Mercury dime, a silver Washington quarter, a Buffalo nickel, 18 or so wheat pennies and some clad. You gotta try the demo's. 11-3-12 b.JPG 11-3-12.JPG

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my finds from two demo lots today: 2 1947 silver Rosie dimes, 1 1919-d Mercury dime, 29 wheat pennies and some clad. My hunting buddy got a Mercury dime, a silver Washington quarter, a Buffalo nickel, 18 or so wheat pennies and some clad. You gotta try the demo's. View attachment 695474 View attachment 695475

Demolition sites can also be a great source for antique bottles..... Keep your eyes open for them as well. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
deep thought, well you've got good advice so far, of alternatives to parks: old-town demolition sites, etc.... But going back to your reasoning on the parks thing: I can sympathize with you on your reservations: While you have deduced there's nothing specific saying "no metal detectors", yet on the other hand, you are self-conscious that a busy-body might object to the evil temporary process of extraction (aka "digging"). Well, you're right: there's no escaping the connotations, no matter WHERE you/we are, that .... gee, you might leave a hole, etc..... My solution for that, if I really want to hit a park, is to go at off-times, when such lookie-lou busy-bodies are not present. So for example, it's gotten to where I simply only go after 5pms, or even at nights. Or at the break of dawn before 7am, etc..... So peaceful, so serene, etc... :) And since I know I intend to leave no trace of my presence, then no harm, no foul.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use a small hand held digging tool; perhaps a towel to place the dirt it then pour the dirt from the towel back into the hole. Most of the time folks are just curious so give them a nod or say hello. Many times a person has asked me about detecting; saying it looks fun and asking about finds and such. Guess here in Texas folks are more friendly. I have never had someone complain to me.

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

good advice - thanks. I've one park I haven't hit yet; I'll give it a go. As for the digging, this Alabama red clay makes it hard not to be intrusive, especially at this time of the year.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't like being watched when I'm detecting any more than absolutely necessary, and will work around that any way possible if I'm in a more open area like a park.(going off times, in cold weather, misty, or by just working away from crowds)
This is probably the major reason I do most of my detecting in the woods where there is historical habitation, and at old home-sites, both of which are quiet or solitary. This is fine for relic hunting but I confess I dont frequently find coins in the woods ( though I did find a 14K ring recently) .

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had my MD very long but have mostly hit city parks, especially the ones with tot lots. My best finds have actually come out of the tot lots including two 10K rings. Did find another ring but think it's brass. I try to go in the off hours also like weekday mornings and afternoons. There are usually few people around if any. With the holidays and school being out they will likely be a little more crowded but should be back to normal next week.

I've never had anyone complain about what I'm doing. The few that have come around are very interested and just want to learn more about metal detecting. I doubt you'll have any problems searching your parks if there are no laws against it. You have as much right to be there as most anyone. Ease on out there and have some fun...:)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread