Garrett Ace 150

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my first real metal detector. Before it, I had a Bounty Hunter Jr. :laughing7: I used the Jr. for about 6+ years, just using it every once in a while. I got it when I was 6 or 7, and got the Ace for my 14th birthday. I have since found $4.27 in clad, a 1946 dog tag, 3 keys, an axe head, tons of bullet shells, and a lot of unknown pieces. The machine definitely makes you dig a big hole, and gives a lot of disappearing signals, but you can usually find the target in the end. Anyone else ever had or has the 150? I would love to hear your opinions.

HH,
Dihren

Upvote 0

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i started out with the 150 and the best way to combat those disappearing signals is when you get a signal do a complete 360 around the hole and if your not getting a solid signal all the way around then its more than likely a piece of iron or junk but if in doubt go ahead and dig it

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sonofadigger said:
i started out with the 150 and the best way to combat those disappearing signals is when you get a signal do a complete 360 around the hole and if your not getting a solid signal all the way around then its more than likely a piece of iron or junk but if in doubt go ahead and dig it

Thanks for the response and advice! I will definitely do that! The signals that disappear are usually ones that jump all around (coin, then suddenly iron, then suddenly pull tab).

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion,not gospel. Disappearing signals usually a result of getting a tone from something notched out ,unit lets you know for example you swung coil over iron but then ignores it. Till iron icon indicator clears (yes even when iron discriminated out ) coil not registering. Makes finding "masking"items important to not miss other desired targets. Pinpointing works best for 150 by swinging coil in a cross or x pattern,with eyes on center at clear tones, mark then dig. I scratch spot with finger if there isn,t a small object there as a reference. Have not used it in a while but hunting partner does all right with it! Keep having fun.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
releventchair said:
My opinion,not gospel. Disappearing signals usually a result of getting a tone from something notched out ,unit lets you know for example you swung coil over iron but then ignores it. Till iron icon indicator clears (yes even when iron discriminated out ) coil not registering. Makes finding "masking"items important to not miss other desired targets. Pinpointing works best for 150 by swinging coil in a cross or x pattern,with eyes on center at clear tones, mark then dig. I scratch spot with finger if there isn,t a small object there as a reference. Have not used it in a while but hunting partner does all right with it! Keep having fun.

Thanks! I do not understand some of what you say though. Notched out? Why does it ignore iron? Sorry... Still learning everything

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,t be sorry. Notched out meaning when changing detector settings,say you put it in jewelry mode, much iron is being ignored and as coil passes over it you get a low tone beep. In all metal mode instead of just a low tone one time you get repeat tones each swing over it because unit has been told your looking for iron,and all other metals.(i,m part of your confusion as other detectors let you select specific items in notches on graph to discriminate out).
I do like running it in jewelry mode the most. Those bouncy signals often a bottle cap. When i get a tone from only one or two directions and have to make unit give a good tone, something similer. but it gets dug usually anyway ,once in a great while it is a surprise.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The one time I used one I was not overly impressed, but still a huge step up from anything with the bounty hunter label!!!! I think the more you use it the better it will work for you.

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 150 also. I started hunting in apr/may. I found around 90 bucks in clad and a few nice old coins so far. Im really into it. Been thinking of an upgrade but might just upgrade the coil for now to get a bit more depth. Your plugs will get smaller the more you use it. The X or+ pattern works very well also. Biggest advice I can give...DIG. Ive learned to get excited when my pull tab signals going crazy. Silver dimes and 3 cent coins read as p tabs on mine. Gold too...although I have'nt found any yet... Keep at it. Go slow. Keep it low. You'll find good stuff yet my friend!

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also get a pointer, I have the propointer which is amazing but others on this forum say any brand is better than not having one at all. Harbor freights got one for like 15 bucks.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks adaminnh. I have been doing the X and + so far, and it does help. I do really want a pinpointer! Just waiting until my parents purchase something off amazon so we can share the shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread