I found a 1969 10K mens class ring today more gold. Lovin it.

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 1969 10K mens class ring today more gold. Lovin' it.

How much effort is a guy suppose to make to find a owner of this ring????
430577_10151080486987821_1606105428_n.jpg

Upvote 0

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it , you can look at it two ways. Mabe it was bad Karma befelled the person who lost it for what ever reason. Or will good Karma be yours for returning it for your deed? I guess if it gets back to the owner; it was fate. I've jokingly said, I don't want the first one I find to be inscribed. But then I actually do......................
I believe character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Read about someone that had his class ring returned to him TWICE.!!
HH,Ray

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't get to crazy, ur not out to find and return everyones lost jewelry

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the ring has a name or initials inside the band, you should make a good-faith effort to find the owner. Only you can decide how much effort that is.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only you can determine how much effort you want to put into finding the previous owner. I find it a fun, detectivelike challenge to do it myself. It can also open new doors to the detecting adventure. If you find the owner and return the ring, he just might have other choice places to hunt not to mention the satisfaction of making someone happy. When you see the joy on his face, you'll know what I mean. Then again, he might not care one way or the other about the ring but in 42 years of doing it, I've only had one of those. I still felt good about it even he was unappreciative.

DaveandBlitz

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
E Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3, Tesoro Lobo supertrack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half the fun of this hobby is being able to say "I found This" I would try to find the original owner... could be a new friend in the process! We are all looking into history when we detect and I'm sure there is some there...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't get to crazy, ur not out to find and return everyones lost jewelry
.... I agree with dholland i would not get crazy trying to find the owner.....Some make it there life's work to find a owner..... The way i feel i would just check the lost add's in the paper and if it was not there it's mine....... And i would keep it keep it........For you know the game ..."Finders Keepers"..... And that is why i got my detector to find things for myself not to return to some careless person....... My motto IS.... i FOUND IT ..." iT'S MINE "

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a nice find. I personally would get more out of see the enjoyment on the owners face then any amount of money its worth. But I also would spend a lifetime looking for the previous owner. Good Luck

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
As much as you wish :icon_thumright:
.. Gleaner is right there.... If you want to spend 6 months looking for the owner or only one day...... It is up to you..... not up to us... To tell you what to do..or make decision's for you... Me i won't judge you if you spend a year or don't even look for the owner....... Some here will judge you if you don't try..... But they are the better than tho ones.........They think...

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I did it once, long ago, I found a 1971 class ring from a school twenty miles away, the girl's name was in the ring, full name, no initials. I grabbed the phone book, I started calling all the people in that town with the same last name. They said No relation. Nope, never heard of her. Nope, dont know her. Her last name was Wood, common name it seems. No prob, I keep trying. More calls. Nope, "theres a lot of Woods up round these parts", seems I was running out of luck. After I think the eighth call to a Wood, the guys says, (and I remember ver batim) "Yeah, I know her, we are not related but she works at such and such bar in xxx NY". I call the bar. I say I am trying to reach her. They say they cannot give out private numbers. I say have her call me, I got her ring.

I get home from work. She leaves a message "you got my class ring? Call me at such and such time". I call her. She answers. Holy crap, I found her. I say I got her ring and she does not believe me so I describe it and she is floored. So, she says she has to work the bar at 3. Me and my buddy drive up to xxx, give her the ring, she was stupefied, and could not come up with any words she was beside herself for a while. So were a few good old drunk regulars hangin out that day. She said her boyfriend used to wear it on his pinky finger (???) and lost it seventeen years ago playing football in that field. We found almost a thousand coins in that field but that is another story. Me and my buddy were smashed when we left the bar that day. A good time was had by all.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread