P&O Watch Fob Canton Plows 1890s ?

copperpile

Aug 25, 2012
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parlin and Orendorff Manufacturers Agricultural Implements Canton Illinois USA.

Found 11-10-12. Whites Spectrum XLT

image-2463755749.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:William Parlin was born in Acton, Massachusetts, on January 21, 1817. He arrived in Canton, Illinois, in the summer of 1840.He started various blacksmith businesses and eventually began to manufacture plows in 1847. He later joined forces with his brother-in-law, William J. Orendorff, in the 1850s. Mr. Parlin was the inventor and designer of the operation while Mr. Orendorff was the business manager. By 1880 they had incorporated the P & O Plow company in Illinois. Their sons, William H. Parlin and Ulysses G. Orendorff, successfully continued the business, which was eventually purchased by International Harvester in 1919.
Mr. Parlin created simple mechanical devices to ease the burden of the farmer in the fields. He has been attributed with developments in stalk cutters, disc plows, and double-plows or listers. He utilized steel for the entire plow, which in the past had had wooden moldings. We have included a few pictures from the P & O Plow catalog of 1909 in this site. His contributions were formally acknowledged with his induction into the Illinois Farmer’s Hall of Fame in 1917.
William Parlin died on June 25, 1891. He not only made life easier for the early Illinois farmers, but he and his descendants left a legacy to their community with endowments that support the local park district, schools, library, hospital, and various churches.
Don.......
Source: Parlin-Ingersoll Library, Canton, IL - Internet Search Tools

OP
OP
copperpile

copperpile

Aug 25, 2012
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really does answer any questions about this piece I dug up. Thanks much.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon......Mind blowing in your abilities my friend.:notworthy:

OP
OP
copperpile

copperpile

Aug 25, 2012
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked the auction site out Don....thanks for that. Looks like this fob sold for $100.00 back on 2010. Btw....the auction site itself is pretty amazing. 1000s of collectibles. You can place bids on line as well.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions