Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one leaves me with some trepidation.
The year was I believe 1955. My grandmother lived in Sturgis, MI. I was about 7 at the time I believe so it's a childs ring I lost, but it was gold and held a ruby. My great aunt had just given it to me that day. My brother and I were wrestling around on the strip between the sidewalk and street when it fell off my finger and was lost.

The whole family was out there on hands and knees but we were unable to find it in the grass and eventually gave up the search. I've always felt bad I lost it so quickly. My grandmother passed many years ago and the house was eventually sold. I happened to be back in MI last summer briefly and drove by, but didn't have a detector with me so didn't stop. The house has fallen into a state of disrepair since my mother sold it.

Anyway, if there's anyone that's near Sturgis and interested in trying to find it, PM me, and I'll give you the exact address. While I'd love to have the ring back, it's not a requirement.

The property is 50ft wide I believe, but the search area would be directly in front of the house from the drive to no more than about 20 ft to the east of the house.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're "retired and traveling" why not make a trip there yourself? Sounds like a good road trip to me......good luck in finding it!

OP
OP
P

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At present I'm in SC and leave in about 3 weeks to head back to San Marcos, CA to winter over. My first opportunity to get there is next summer. Would loved to taken a shot at it last year but forgot my detector. Just thought someone in the area who hasn't dug gold yet might enjoy it. Nothing nefarious intended here.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Phanntom

Sounds interesting but probably about 100+ miles from where I'm at. Too bad it isn't closer, I think it could be a cool find and return.

I say since it had been there since 1955 it can wait another 6-9 months until you get back, what's the rush now?

HH,

Pete

OP
OP
P

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually PTPete, there is no urgency...didn't mean to imply there is one. I would've expected during all those years they would've widened the street, but when I drove by last year on my nostalgia tour they hadn't. I just looked it up on Zillow and the property is currently listed for sale by HUD...which would mean a detector likely wouldn't be hassled by anyone given the place is vacant.

My travel schedule may or may not take me near the area in the next year. I've been the last two years and probably the next two at least on a project to photograph all the remaining covered bridges in the country. My first priority is the photo project, my detecting is limited to down times which is mostly the winter months and I'm 2,000 miles away from the cold northern climes.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds interesting and if I ever have some time and reason to head out that way I'll shoot you a message.

Best of luck and sounds like an interesting retirement project.

Pete

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At present I'm in SC and leave in about 3 weeks to head back to San Marcos, CA to winter over. My first opportunity to get there is next summer. Would loved to taken a shot at it last year but forgot my detector. Just thought someone in the area who hasn't dug gold yet might enjoy it. Nothing nefarious intended here.
If you need someone to hunt with when you get back to San Marcos, give me a shout. I live about 25 minutes from there. Happy hunting and photographing!

OP
OP
P

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do....I'll arrive there before the xmas holiday's. I'll be there till it gets pretty close to spring and I can hit the road again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread