Winter Shutdown

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Winter in Bama...yeah what does it get down to? 60's
I'll trade ya Wisconsin winters any day!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Put on a couple thin layers and buck up! Get some waders and hit the beaches if you are tired of the turf.

OP
OP
D

DeepThought

It's get down to the 20-30s. The difference is I'm at a point in my life where I choose my comfort levels. Anything below 74 is marginal....above 106 is manageable. Wisconsin? I've a good friend who moved his family there. Not a chance...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last day of work for me is Dec 14 go back to work next day after New Year just hope the weather is nice enough to get out and do some detecting. Just have to bundle up and hope it is not freezing and everything is frozen by then....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I feel for you guys in the freeze zones states . Here in the part of Ca I'm in, it rarely ever drops to where even a puddle can freeze , and rarely ever goes higher than the 90's. If it reached. below 30 or over 100, where I'm at, that would be front page news.

So we have year -round hunting .

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started the hobby during very late summer - and am addicted. Now I have to wait the winter out (i hate cold weather..and Alabama red clay is hard enough during the summer) until it warms up again. MUST find an outlet!

Indiana here, went out this morning got a few silver clad(dimes,quarters) and a set of frozen balls. COLDER out than I thought!!!! I keep telling myself today is the last day but bein the fool I am I get on the winter gear and go. When the trowel breaks on the frozen ground I may stop, been thinking of some powered diggirs, battery operated chipping hammer lol. hmmm that may work now for a ball warmer and I do not mean a hot cup of McDs coffee.Think,think,think,oh bother, it will be time to hang up the gear soon.
Question: Does it seem you find the clad a little easier when the ground is beginning to freeze? Do you think it affects the coins so theirdetected easier? I did not find any more or less than other times the sounds just sounded more crisp. Just my imagination getting away from me. HH

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
DT, winter is a good time to research places to hunt in the upcoming year and possibly to start getting permission for future hunts. Lots of note taking and visits to the local library and/or historical society's might make your spring and summer full of great detecting. Good luck.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's get down to the 20-30s. The difference is I'm at a point in my life where I choose my comfort levels. Anything below 74 is marginal....above 106 is manageable. Wisconsin? I've a good friend who moved his family there. Not a chance...

LOL I'm Not quite that cold blooded, But know what you mean. The older I get the worse the cold bites.
here in PA if the Sun is shining bright, & the winds are still, I think I can still actually tolerate upper 40's.
was out yesterday burning trash, was about 45f & I could feel the sun's warmth, through the airs bite.

usually if cold wind is blowing out of Canada, I need those above 106 temps you speak of :laughing7:

What also matters if I'm going from a 10 day heat wave to 70
or a 10 day deep freeze to 35

after 10 days in the 80's, (fahrenheit) I'd freeze my butt off at 65

after 10 days in the teens, 35 (fahrenheit) would be T-shirt weather

and of course if the ground is Froze, I'm in Hibernation "leave me alone"
because even the thought of the word cold hurts:laughing9:

I've had mornings I feared opening the Fridge, & Making me feel colder

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started MDing last Jan. I live in Pa and if the ground wasn't froze my buddy and I were out. Prolly be the same way this year too.

Although when we do get snow and the ground finally freezes, that's when I'll start my reasurch for when the weather breaks.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish we had a change of seasons down here. Same old 90's in the summer, 70's-80's in the winter with an occasional upper 50's day thrown in once or twice a year. Ugh.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I just wish we had a change of seasons down here. Same old 90's in the summer, 70's-80's in the winter with an occasional upper 50's day thrown in once or twice a year. Ugh.

That sounds so rough lol hahaha

I'd love that weather year round in PA

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good topic..I'll spend winter & frozen times looking for new spots & prepping equipment .Heck Ive even eye balled & found old coins lying right on top of frozen ground when Ive stopped by a new site to check it out..You never know.....

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a cold front come through a few days back. It was 19ºf when I started getting ready. 25º when I got to the site. Never got over 30 that day!
Just layered up (no heavy coat) and went. Yeah it was cold! Yeah I found coins!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hunt year round here in SoCal.....just do more inland hunting in the winter rather than beach. We get our share of frosty mornings but for the most part it's not a problem. Add a jacket and a set of knee pads for the frost and you're good to go.

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well DeepThought there is always hope for some warm spells in your area. I do a lot of research in my area using Google Earth and have so many areas I want to hit right now but have to take them one at a time. Fortunately here in northwest Louisiana winters are mild enough hunt pretty much year around. I'll take the cold most days over the heat during the summer months....:)

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well DeepThought if you had purchased the optional Pottery Wheel with your MD, you would be spending winter using all that clay you pried off of objects you found. Just think in the spring you'd have a nice set of ashtrays to show for your efforts. :laughing7:

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
Tom_in_CA said:
I feel for you guys in the freeze zones states . Here in the part of Ca I'm in, it rarely ever drops to where even a puddle can freeze , and rarely ever goes higher than the 90's. If it reached. below 30 or over 100, where I'm at, that would be front page news.

So we have year -round hunting .

Ohio here, so I dislike you for saying that. Lol. I'm just kidding. Happy huntings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions