How important is a GOOD Pin Pointer?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "good" pin pointer, means that it works and functions the way you want it to. I purchased four new top of the line pin pointers all with in one month. The first to fail was the Pistol Probe and it was returned. Second to have on going issues is the Garrett Pro-Pointer which just all of a sudden starts to go off and will not stop. Pulling the batteries and re boot and other attempts has kept it back in the truck and being readied for a return also. The last two are the Nokta RS which works great but is a little weak in depth and the Minelab Pro-Find which has out performed all the rest. The above posts reflect that the Garrett seems to have its fair share of issues but it is also stated that the company seems to be first class when it comes to solving those problems. I would rather have a tool that works and and picks out those dirt colored finds easy and does not need to be returned. The answer to your question is "yes" a good pin pointer is a very valuable tool.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on what you are looking for, they may be useless. I don't use one at all

I'm with you on this, and that may not bode well for you :laughing7:

Personally, I find pin pointers a waste of good money. You'll spend anywhere from $130-170, to what; shave off a few seconds of recovery time :tongue3: Not in my world :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt with a pinpointer where you can't put a coil. I have found several pieces of gold with mine including a 14k NYC police badge charm with melt value of $350.

I hunt under metal bleachers at sports fields, try swinging a coil there...

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you have a point there TH, I don't hunt under bleachers. If I did, I would move the bleachers :laughing7: Other than a few similar circumstances, one of which you mentioned; I still find them useless.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value in the name brand pinpointers is more durability and consistent performance. You never want to be in the middle of a pasture and have an equipment problem. Quality and warranty means faster recovery adn more targets secured in your pouch!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I think they all have brand names. The question is how much EXTRA are you willing to pay for that BIG brand name? As far as durability & consistent operation, my $16 pinpointer Always finds the target with ease and at the same pickup distance as the $160 units. So far I have spent about $2 for a new switch. The expensive ones are having PCB problems which require a factory sendback. Mine is easy to mod, My hearing is bad so I added a bright blue LED that lights on target. It took me app. 15 min to add it. You can't do that to the BIG brand ones. When all is said and done I believe I got a lot more value from my $16 pinpointer. Frank

P.S. : Mine is going on 2 years old.

Attachments

• Gracie and friend.jpg
    Gracie and friend.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrical pin pointers are for newbies that can't pinpoint with the coil. But it isn't all their fault as many of todays detectors don't have zero motion pinpointing and you gotta keep the coil in motion. Years ago all the detectors were zero motion all metal pinpointing. You could zero in on the coil to a dime sized area and touch the coin with a gentle touch of a screw driver and just pop it out and move on to the next target instead of kneeling down and cutting a 6" plug. Then you play with the dirt to find the coin that was on the side of the hole and fell deeper leading you to believe your MD went really deep.:laughing7: This lead to exaggerating the depth and also spilled into the fishermen that started lying about the size of their catch.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not label myself as being a newbie because only having 40 years of playing in the dirt allowed me to graduate to the next level above the screwdriver. I do enjoy the use of a good tool and if it is tagged as being an "electrical pin pointer" then let it be so. Those very elusive dirt colored items have a definite way of eluding your dime sized point and dime store screwdriver. The proximity alert type of pin pointer is a great tool for doing locating that type of target. You seem to have a very impressive list of detectors so it is hard to see why someone who has that kind of inventory would be so down on a "newbie" wanting or using his choice. After all it is just one more detector but in this case it is tiny and hand held and will work in conjunction with any one of your main detectors. The fellow asked if the use of a "good pin pointer" was important and I still say yes, at least for this old "newbie".

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always said I did not need one and would just lay my machine down and swing everything over the coil till I had target in hand. Changed up on some machines and have found a pin pointer will help your hunt big time if you do not get or see that target you can pin point it and not hit it with a digger, Worth every penny. Got late coming off a mountain at dark. About a mile to go and no flashlight . After ripping through the saw briars I thought pin pointer has a light,haha it did help. Like the Garret it is tough. You will not look back.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sandman, You just described my XLT piopointing capabilities! Actually I just use the pinpointer to verify that the target I can't find is a single piece of birdshot. lol

Attachments

• 111-2 700.jpg
    111-2 700.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
bowwinkles said:
I would not label myself as being a newbie because only having 40 years of playing in the dirt allowed me to graduate to the next level above the screwdriver. I do enjoy the use of a good tool and if it is tagged as being an "electrical pin pointer" then let it be so. Those very elusive dirt colored items have a definite way of eluding your dime sized point and dime store screwdriver. The proximity alert type of pin pointer is a great tool for doing locating that type of target. You seem to have a very impressive list of detectors so it is hard to see why someone who has that kind of inventory would be so down on a "newbie" wanting or using his choice. After all it is just one more detector but in this case it is tiny and hand held and will work in conjunction with any one of your main detectors. The fellow asked if the use of a "good pin pointer" was important and I still say yes, at least for this old "newbie".

Came for answers. Left with answers and an amazing "zing" on your part. Well done. Well. Done.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three friends that I hunt with. I started with a White's Bullseye, one of them used a Vibra Probe and the other one used an Automax. The fourth guy didn't use a pinpointer. All four of us use Garrett Propointers today. Enough said.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I stress the word "good" because I know the importance of a Pin Pointer. What is the difference between a $20 one vs a $120? other than the bulky hand grips on the cheap ones.

!. "How important is a GOOD Pin Pointer?". That's a tough question. GOOD as opposed to what? Not so good? Crappy? Maybe kinda good? Is there a difference between a GOOD pinpionter and a VERY GOOD pinpointer, that is the killer question, that'll get 'em goin' for sure. Good is an opinion, so it's a tough, ambiguous and provocative question, as might be asked by somebody trying to elicit popular opinion on a forum, say a Marketing professional. Your post is devilish. That's okay. It's a good question, just re-phrase the post title question, I recommend that you ask simply "How important is a Pin Pointer?". Period.

2. I see you know the importance of a pinpointer, perhaps you wish to let the members know what pinpointer(s) you use (have used), and why you feel that using one is important at all. Would you agree that using a pinpointer is so important that you might perhaps be happy just having any one model, even though it might not be GOOD, nor VERY GOOD?

3. "What is the difference between a $20 one vs a $120?". That's easy, "A hundred dollars". :tongue3:

4. Since you have handled bulky grip cheap ones, would you kindly list the models of the cheap ones you have used, in order to shed some light on your personal experiences with pinpointers, thus enabling the members to perhaps give some more meaningful advice?. Have you ever owned a GOOD one, and if so, did you find the exorbitant difference in price worth the extra burden on the wallet? If you had to bet, you could safely bet that a GOOD one is probably a little bit more important, and just as much gooder, no matter what, because good is better. Right?

5. This summer will be my 20 year detecting season and I aint never tried one or even seen one, GOOD or BAD. But I do agree, they are important. But that don't matter. We know that if something is important, it better be good.

6. Google Sunray Probes.

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets see Im tough on my tools, Yes A pinpointer is a Tool!!! A Freaking Great Tool!!!! I Purchased several Cheap tools Before Someone told Me about The Garrets Propointer!!!! DO THE MATH 5 times the Cost of a cheap ( Pin Peice of Garbage Pointer Or spending 120 on One that Has Lasted 10 times Longer than all of them!!!! And Still is Kicking ASS!!! Plus I Bought Red One !!!!!! HH And Good Luck Chug Heard a Rumor that White's is Working On One!!! Im Wondering If I Can Test It out For Them!!!! It Would Be A Blast!!!! HH Chug

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
gleaner1 said:
!. "How important is a GOOD Pin Pointer?". That's a tough question. GOOD as opposed to what? Not so good? Crappy? Maybe kinda good? Is there a difference between a GOOD pinpionter and a VERY GOOD pinpointer, that is the killer question, that'll get 'em goin' for sure. Good is an opinion, so it's a tough, ambiguous and provocative question, as might be asked by somebody trying to elicit popular opinion on a forum, say a Marketing professional. Your post is devilish. That's okay. It's a good question, just re-phrase the post title question, I recommend that you ask simply "How important is a Pin Pointer?". Period.

2. I see you know the importance of a pinpointer, perhaps you wish to let the members know what pinpointer(s) you use (have used), and why you feel that using one is important at all. Would you agree that using a pinpointer is so important that you might perhaps be happy just having any one model, even though it might not be GOOD, nor VERY GOOD?

3. "What is the difference between a $20 one vs a $120?". That's easy, "A hundred dollars". :tongue3:

4. Since you have handled bulky grip cheap ones, would you kindly list the models of the cheap ones you have used, in order to shed some light on your personal experiences with pinpointers, thus enabling the members to perhaps give some more meaningful advice?. Have you ever owned a GOOD one, and if so, did you find the exorbitant difference in price worth the extra burden on the wallet? If you had to bet, you could safely bet that a GOOD one is probably a little bit more important, and just as much gooder, no matter what, because good is better. Right?

5. This summer will be my 20 year detecting season and I aint never tried one or even seen one, GOOD or BAD. But I do agree, they are important.

6. Google Sunray Probes.

Dude your nuts. If you even looked at my other posts and comments than you would know that I just got into the hobby and I have not even bought my own metal detector yet let alone a pin pointer. I'm sorry if my question was too open ended. You read into my post like I'm sort of MD Terrorist. I simply wanted to hear people's OPINIONS on what they thought based off their experiences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread