Need some help configuring/using a Minelab Explorer XS

Spongiform

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an explorer XS and I'm currently using these settings (found via a google search):

Volume..................................10
Gain.......................................7
Threshold..............................To suit*
Tone Threshold.....................10
Tone Variability.....................6
Limits......................................8
Sounds...................................Ferrous
Response..............................Audio 3*
Recovery................................Deep
Display...................................Advanced Smartfind
Sensitivity...............................Manual 20-32

First thing I did was take a penny, lay it on the ground and check it, found it easily. Then Buried it about 2 inches and could just barely get a signal, then reburied it to about 4 inches and nothing.

Is this normal or is there something I can to do to find coins deeper?

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't the machine come with instructions, or a video :dontknow: I'd check that source first :icon_thumright:

You are surely doing something wrong, or have a bad machine. I'll never understand why someone would pay top dollar for a unit without reading up on them. :icon_scratch:

Me?? I went cheap with an Ace 250, but I find stuff up to 8-9 inches..

P.S. a larger coil will go deeper, but in your case I'd wait until I learned that machine :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spongiform

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally bought it about 10 years ago when I lived on a farm that had seen civil war action, but shortly after I moved to the city and just didn't have much opportunity to use it so it sat unused all these years. Now I live in a rural area again and it has some very interesting opportunities for treasure hunting. Lots of old abandoned houses from the early 1900's.

Unfortunately what little I learned about using this detector 10 years ago has vacated my brain. I did download the instruction manual and went over it, plus read a guide or two but even after that I'm not having much luck finding anything coin sized buried more then 2"

I don't have enough experience to know if this is normal or not though, or whether my settings are optimal for what I'm trying to do which is why I turned to this forum for help :-)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only other thing I can suggest is post on the minelab forum if there is one.. I'm sure someone may be able to help you there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread