Metal Detectors - Standards or Snake Oil?

D

DeepThought

Ok...I've got the itch to upgrade already. With the cold weather (...remember the cold weather?), I read more than I dig & look at all those high-speed, low-drag detectors for sale by different companies. Trap is the more I look the less I see: there is no independent evaluator of MD performance other than the company claims. And testimonials are like vacationers to glamours countries: nobody wants to admit they paid good $ to be laid up with diarrhea during their stay. Thinking on it (no pun intended), are cockpit displays of VDI and depth estimates worth the cost .... if I am going to dig-all most of the time anyhow, and the estimates are ... estimates? In the final moments, how useful is discrimination when there is so much overlap between bands? Where's the meat? Actual detection performance (why we are here) of the various targets, under different - though relatively identical - conditions? It seems to this - granted, newbie - that the only way a person has of deciding if a particular MD will suffice is to buy it and try it. Not too efficient... When operating a taxi in NYC is sleek sedan necessary or will that Checker Cab perform just as well for the mission intended....make sense? If The electronics industry is built around standards, interfaces and protocols. Why not MDs? Thanks, all

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger that - "paralysis by analysis". All is good, though....I've picked up a lot of good information from a lot of experienced people. A great hobby - the first time in years I've slowed down to have one - that I thoroughly enjoy.

I can't believe I'm actually going to quote this stuff (They've got me brainwashed) but anyway you're obviously fimiliar with The 5S's and 6Sigma, CI's,RPS's... Theres a saying we use when there is a training event and there is a large group of people learning a new process, Its called "Go and Do" lol

Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jffbrk..Thats all my machine finds and its a cheapie...all i find are new pennies and dimes, no nickels...lots of bottle caps and nails ringing up as 50c/$1

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
But I find as deep as 30"..... When I had one of my cheapies, I had permission to search an old homestead, but I could not filter the trash ...& now I can, that's the big difference to me.

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
EastHavenCT-ACE350 said:
JFF..WHAT ARE YOU USING NOW?

I'm using a Garrett AT PRO . The filtering feature works really well..... It takes time to learn the sounds in your headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread