63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot, a clinker and I was hoping for a fleet of buicks especially the 1949's as they had about two tons of chrome on them.

From your picture the 'rock' looks porous and that is what burned coal would look like though the ones I've seen were much rougher with scratchy/sharp points. If it is a clinker then it might crush in a vise though again I am guessing at this as I've never tried it. Have a great Thanksgiving......63bkpkr

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, you guys are gonna think im crazy or pulling your leg...but its some kind of a ROCK! I swear on all 7 of my kids its a rock! It was 16ish inches(like I said,it was dark the other night lol) down. My ace picks it up further away than a shovel. Its very light in weight. Kinda small. Reads as a pull tab. Whats going on here? Nickel ore? Meteorite? Alien trash? Someone out theres gotta know. Wheres that guy with the ''i want to believe'' avatar? Help me out on this on guys cause im about to smash it with a hammer...just in case...

View attachment 703387

View attachment 703388
Found something that looks similar. looked it up online and I think it might be manganese.

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take a grinder to it to see what's under the surface crud.
If it's light in weight, I'd bet also that it is just a coal clinker.
The old coal stoves used a grade called "stove coal" that was a pretty good sized chunk compared to what modern stoves use like "pea" and "nut" size coal.
Those old stove grates couldn't hold the coal unless it was almost base ball sized.

bushwhacker07

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot, a clinker and I was hoping for a fleet of buicks especially the 1949's as they had about two tons of chrome on them.

From your picture the 'rock' looks porous and that is what burned coal would look like though the ones I've seen were much rougher with scratchy/sharp points. If it is a clinker then it might crush in a vise though again I am guessing at this as I've never tried it. Have a great Thanksgiving......63bkpkr

yes you can smash rocks in a vise when I was a little kid my grandpa had a vise on our shop truck and I used to stand there and put rocks in and crush them, so yes the vise would crush it from personal experience. I would say its coal as alot of times the coal burner was in the basement or celler and coal would be shovelled in a small door from the outside. So that makes sense as thats probaly where the coal would be going in and used coal going out. thats just my opinoin im not and expert(not in this feild anyway)

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was told that the larger of the denomination of the coin, the higher the signal would be, such as a 2.5 dollar would ring up in the 40's were a 10 to twenty dollar gold coin would ring up in the high 80's to 90's. this is what i herd and every detector is different so it could go alot of ways.

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adam
I use a 250 Ace and I get electric wire at 3 ft to check your discrimination settings try this. Find a spot in your yard with no signal, put agold anything down and set a 5 gal bucket of dirt on it and adjust the machine and then check it with 50 cent coin. You can also Ask your bank for a gold dollar coin, it's not pure but has a gold plating that will read. Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread