• Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
    Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 261

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice map Frank. Is any of those areas claimed or on private property?

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks frank. Reason I was asking is last nite I was tecting near a cellar hole. Got a pull tab signal at 6+ inches. I have ace 150 which doesnt usually pick up deep targets. After digging down 18 inches and still no target( machine still picking up strong signal) I ran out of daylight. I couldnt sleep at all wondering what it is. I started a job today so it'll be a couple days til I can get back out there. I doubt theres a pull tab burried that deeply and know theres a billion other things that read as tabs...but im hopeful...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 150, 18+in, still a strong signal.
Fleet of Buicks or something equally big.
Good luck!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adam,

If you're getting a strong signal at depths like that odds are it's a big piece of junk metal.....a little trick when detecting
if you get a strong signal......raise your coil about 6" or so and if the signal is still strong it's an oversized object.

Regards + HH

Bill

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi folks and good day. This may be another one of my silly questions, but here goes...i know from reading tons of other posts that gold rings and other gold jewlery often shows up in the pull tab range, is that also true with gold coins?

A $2.50 gold piece reads at about round tab. A $5 gold piece reads at about square tab (the beefier thicker square tabs, that is). A $10 gold piece reads up about zinc penny. A $20 gold piece reads at about copper penny.

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help you with the question adaminnh but most interested to see what you find. Might not be gold but like you said doubt there are any pull tabs either. Good luck on the dig...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Adam, I would be willing to bet the target is in the side of the hole, and not 18" down. Hope you have a pinpointer. Harbor Freight has them for around $18. Good luck

Casca, that is an old cache map for a cave stacked with silver bars in a canyon in Mexico. This is all I have on it. Frank Boca map 500 002.jpg Boca TP-1  500.jpg Boca TP-2 500.jpg Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah frank, I ordered a pro pointer very shortly after I started swinging in the spring. I honestly dont think I would have fallen so deeply in love with MDing without it. Best thing since sliced bread. As far as that hole goes its already a foot wide and my signals dead center of it. I'll have a short day tomorrow (theoreticly) so as long traffics not too bad leaving Mass. I should be able to get out and dig it. Keep you guys updated. By the way...i dont usually make such a large hole. Its in a very wooded area and I too figured the target was on the sidewall somewhere. It wasnt. I dont want you guys thinking im turf butcher or something!

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, you guys are gonna think im crazy or pulling your leg...but its some kind of a ROCK! I swear on all 7 of my kids its a rock! It was 16ish inches(like I said,it was dark the other night lol) down. My ace picks it up further away than a shovel. Its very light in weight. Kinda small. Reads as a pull tab. Whats going on here? Nickel ore? Meteorite? Alien trash? Someone out theres gotta know. Wheres that guy with the ''i want to believe'' avatar? Help me out on this on guys cause im about to smash it with a hammer...just in case...

ForumRunner_20121121_194640.png

ForumRunner_20121121_194659.png

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like iron to me.

Thanks Frank. Messing around the border is a bad thing now a days.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet there is a gold ring inside...or a square tab.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a meteorite or magnetic ore. Does it stick to the fridge? Great find though. :icon_thumright:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adam,

Spend 35 years working for the railway and odds are that's what's called slag or clinker coal.....back in the steam locomotive days they would burn metalurgical coal which had metal residue left after burning.

They're also called hot rocks by some....glad you finally found your mystery target.....depending on the machine you're using some of those types of targets sound off pretty good.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not magnetic. It does seem 'coalish'. Like I said very light weight. Nearest railways about 2 miles from the site. Maybe someone that lived there worked for the RR.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adam,

Lots of older houses also had coal furnaces back in the day and would just toss the burnt coal residue in the back yard, use it as fill, etc.....

Regards + HH

Bill

Not magnetic. It does seem 'coalish'. Like I said very light weight. Nearest railways about 2 miles from the site. Maybe someone that lived there worked for the RR.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Railroad coal turns up all over the place. My grandfather told me stories about going along the tracks with his brother and a couple buckets to pick up spilled coal during the depression when the family couldn't afford to buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread