New!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
coin collecter said:
Hey I'm new to the sight and metal detecting i was hoping on some tips maby on where to go and what too do I live in mid mo by the lake of the ozarks

The first tip would be to go to the library to do some background history research of your area.

Second tip is read the threads on T-net. You will find your questions will be answered before you have to ask them.

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any nearby city parks would be a good starting place. Also if there are any beach areas around any lakes would be a prime place to search. Any other historical areas would be good to search if laws premit. I use Google Earth a good bit to help pinpoint places of interest and get a close look at the areas I want to search.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also research the older swimming holes around the lakes. if your a water dog and enjoy the waters edge you can usually find the old swimming areas by walking the perimeter of the lake detecting as you go. Start at the areas near roads and go from there . Before you know it you be finding coins and maybe even some old gold that was lost long ago. HH = happy hunting and good luck...

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st tips givin are great but Im looking for more tips than that...How about tips 3 through 100 ...please fill in!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a) Get a Tesoro
b) Install Battery
c) Swing coil over dirt, sand, or in fresh water. (Coils are water-proof, the control box on non-water machines is not. So don't go too deep.)
d) Repeat step c daily.
e) Repeat step b as needed.
f) Try a variety of different types of hunting to find out what you enjoy.
g) Keep spare batteries in your car for when they unexpectedly die.
h) Get a heavy-duty trowel or a specialty digger.
i) Get a pin-pointer
j) Practice in your own yard until you can open a good plug and leave little or no evidence of your activity.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MZjavert, very cute, but you neglected to mention turning on the machine to begin with :laughing7:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
MZjavert, very cute, but you neglected to mention turning on the machine to begin with :laughing7:

Man, there is so much to this hobby.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oh the HORROR! Quick to the Editing Cave....

a) Get a Tesoro
b) Install Battery
1. Turn on your Tesoro (or other brand of MD). If you have trouble accomplishing this step, refer to the operating manual. :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh the HORROR! Quick to the Editing Cave....

Mzjavert, no need to even edit. I'll go one step further :icon_thumright:

This is especially good if you're a beach hunter :icon_thumright:

Since the unemployment rate is so high, hire yourself a gunga din. Have this person hunt all day while you relax and soak up the rays as they work for 25% of the findings. This is a win/win situation where you both come out ahead at the end of the day :laughing7:

Sent from my lawn chair on some beaten up beach in NJ :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread