Minelab Sov. GT
Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I use a 3 pocket waist pack that my wife bought for me. It is camoflauged and I think she got it at the sporting goods department at WalMart. Hope it helps.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cheapest you can get along with is a nail apron I think. I have made a few out of vinyl sheets that I've sewn to form two deep pockets and large loops for the wide detecting belts or divers weight belt.

Any rings you get go into a secure pants pocket. It's also wise to carry some newspaper to wrap a dirty valuable coin in for the trip home before you even wipe the dirt off.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I most often use a Treasure Wise, 2 pocket bag. I also keep a couple of nail aprons around and used to use a fanny pack. Whatever you use, put the GOOD STUFF in a pants pocket immediately..no fanfare, no turning backflips. Discretion, man, discretion.

TIP: keep ALL your trash from the last several hunts right up front within easy reach. If a curious onlooker or nosy kid says "Finding anything?" show him the junk, and extend it in offering. Its amazing how poeple leave you alone after that.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use/used(got a new one coming from Satan)an old carpenters tool belt that was modified like 4 times
and use pill bottles and film canisters with cotton balls for better older coins rings etc

T

TheDetectorist

Well, theres a difference between a "collection" bag and a tool bag. I usually keep all my digging item in a canvas bag. I never really liked having my tools banging around on my legs. All my junk goes into the bag too. For my ordinary finds I put them all into a crown-royal bag I keep in my pocket. Old, or valuable finds go into on of those rubber "clam-shell" coin holders in a different pocket.

FD

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i usually just wear some old cargo pants with lots of pockets in them,..................huh huh he said "toolbag!" ;D

T

TheDetectorist

hollowpointred said:
i usually just wear some old cargo pants with lots of pockets in them,..................huh huh he said "toolbag!" ;D

"huh...huh,huh....uuuummmm shut up Beavis!"

Dangit! now I'm going to be talking like Beavis all night! At least my kids think it's funny.

TD

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I use a gardening pouch, it has loops for tools and six pockets. There are three large pockets, something like the cheap lumber yard pockets and three smaller pockets in front of the big ones. The three smaller ones have a mesh bottom, allowing dirt and sand to fall through. The whole thing fastens with a belt and two D rings, sorta like a motor cycle helmet.

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I use a Fanny pack( I call it my Man Purse) and it works great. There is one big pocket I keep my spare battery, flashlight and ground cloth( 1 gallon ziploc bag) in as well as my wallet if needed. The smaller pocket is for my finds.There is a thin pocket on the backside that I keep an extra ziploc bag in as well as the quick reference card for my detector and a few paper towels. The ziplocs work well as ground cloths as well as a cover for the control head if I get caught in the rain. It has it's own belt that has my gator in it's own sheath.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nail Aprons are my Favorite.

some of the Hardwares Will give them for free.

2 Pouches, one for Treasure one for Trash.
they are Washable, And when they wear out,
you can head to the Hardware & get another one.

Only drawback, large items like Beer & soda Cans
fill it up quick

GAR

Greenie
May 19, 2006
Hershey, PA
How about an old five gallon bucket. Hold all of the tools one could ever want, its also a place to deposits all the trash and clad coin finds. Hard to handle? Not for me good ol "digger" (my wife), carries it and does all digging.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a tool pouch for land hunts, it was given to me so it was free, I use a mesh bag for the water hunts. The mesh bag has a hidden pocket that I use for any good finds, the tool bag has a tight pocket that is hard to see in, I put the good finds there.

I never make a big deal of any find that the public can see. A lot of my hunts are at night, by myself at the beach, so I feel it is wise to not do the "I just found something nice dance" , no need to advertise. I do carry a large knife on my waist belt in plain view. I'm in my wetsuit, and its my shark knife for police inquires, but it is really for "land sharks".

I always carry some old trash, especially nails, pieces of metal, small piece of glass to show, it also helps if I'm wanting to get permission to hunt a spot.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a set of overalls and you won't have any problems, the small pockets and hammer holder on the legs are perfect for a pinpointer and digger.

Attachments

• TimsMetalDetTrip005.jpg
    TimsMetalDetTrip005.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 376
  • TimsMetalDetTrip005.jpg
    TimsMetalDetTrip005.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 378

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cheap fishing vest from walmart will work also. I use to use one when I lived in Missouri hunting artifacts. There were so many pockets and I could put each point I found in a different pocket.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Lately, I have been using a golf ball pouch to stash all of my goodies in. The bags are great, you can singe the bag tight by pulling on two strings and they will tie around a belt loop or whatever. It's working well for me 8)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a nylon gold ball bag for my keepers. It has a metal clip that allows me to clip it onto my belt, is waterproof, and zips to open and close. Since I got that, I use my old finds apron only for the trash.

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Baron Von De Kalb said:
i use/used(got a new one coming from Satan)an old carpenters tool belt that was modified like 4 times
and use pill bottles and film canisters with cotton balls for better older coins rings etc

Jeez Baron, You've got Satan bringing you a tool belt? Does it come with a pitchfork?

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Depends on if i'm in the water or not...

In the water, I have a "fanny pack" that has several zippered compartments. Keeps the goodies from washing away. think i grabbed that at walmart for under 10 bucks

Out of the water, I have a shoulder bag, that I picked up at an army/navy store for about $3. You can always try www.sportsmansguide.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com. they have similar items (military surplus) cheap.

Whatever it is, i grab something that has more than one pocket... one for the trash, one for the goodies
steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread