Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: MDg PAs canals,worth the effort ???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    798 times
    I did a small section in bucks county. Lots of crap. Need a back ho to dig it a foot or two to get to the good stuff.

us
    Clark and Ellen's cousin

Mar 2012
    Cark and Ellen's
    Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
    120 times
    Metal Detecting
    Be careful doing the canals in Bucks!! If the DCNR sees you they will tell you to stop. Believe me, they make a big deal about it. I live in Bucks County, close to the canal, and find many of the so called "laws" about md'ing around here seem to be mostly about who you know. I was kicked out of a rest stop along the canal and then two weeks later I saw an excavation/archaeology team in the SAME SPOT. They came in with a back hoe and tore everything to hell. YET, I'm not allowed to look for coins? Typical bullshit from the park systems in Pa. I even purchased the $10 permit to hunt the Bucks County parks...total waste of $$$. The good spots are off limits and the rangers bother me constantly to see my permit. Hope you can find something cool!! These canals were heavily used.
    Last edited by CousinEddie; Nov 22, 2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost...

us
    Anybody can buy an old coin, but not everybody can find one !

Nov 2011
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
    40 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well you see.... those arky-olo-gists are "paper trained".
    All that means is they spent time at college partying like all the rest, but they majored in old stuff.
    They get paid big bucks to do what we do for free; and people naturally assume that that paper means they know what they're doing.
    And the park rangers? Sorry, but I think a lot them are just collecting a pay check like the rest of us.
    If their butt is sore or they had a fight with the old lady, guess who gets the flack ?
    The poor dumb guy swinging that metal detector who probably isn't finding anything anyway......
    BUT MIGHT BE !!!

This reminds me of a news paper write up years ago regarding an acquaintance of mine that dug outhouse pits for a hobby(with permission of course)
    Well, the local historical society just about branded him a grave robber; and the head stuffed shirt at the time declared that this guy was robbing our county of it's past.
    But you know what ? Not one of those pompous stuffed shirts ever got off their behinds to do anything unless they were getting paid, or at least getting some sort of recognition for their efforts.
    And I doubt they EVER dug a 3-4 foot hole down 8-10 feet or more, then risked their necks crawling down that hole to poke around for some old bottles .
    Historical places get bulldozed over every week, and unless the hobbyists are there after work,on the weekend, in the rain or cold, the stuff is LOST forever.
    And with the cutbacks these days, those paper wagging professionals are going to be in shorter supply when there is work to be done.
    Sorry if I sound cynical and disrespectful of authority; but I've been around awhile and I've seen what those in power can accomplish.......
    Oldest identifiable coins 1700,1732 English half pennies

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21498 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I detected on the Cecil County Maryland side once a long time ago before dinosaurs roamed the earth. Found a couple early US 3 cent pieces and a half dime. I think I still have them. I heard tales of numerous English and early American coppers coming out, lots of them, but that was a long time ago. This is on the Susquehanna River.
    Louie D likes this.

us

Nov 2011
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    40 times
    Thanks Smokey.
    I'm thinking that might be the case with any areas that have been (or were) easily accessible "before the dinosaurs".
    It would be impossible to tell how hard a place has been hunted since the 60's or 70's.
    And a lot of the old old timers aren't around anymore to tell us.

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    101 times
    Search some old photos, a lot of the canals had specific spots that locals would swim...that would be where to concentrate.

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    402 times
    I'm going try my area this winter when its not so grown up

us
    Jun 2011
    SE Pa
    MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
    10 times
    I'm sure there is always potential there but as others have stated, lots of iron and junk and most of the good stuff that remains is probably very deep. I hunted the Union Canal in Lebanon County and found nothing of interest. I talked to others and they said years ago they found a few coins but not many.

us

Nov 2011
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    40 times
    That's interesting that 'years ago' some coins were found.
    Makes me wonder how far back we're talking and what kind of equipment was used.
    It would have been tough work to find coins over a few inches deep before the advent of VLF technology; unless the soil was very lightly mineralized.
    I had a Coinmaster 5 ( what a wrist breaker) which I think was one of the first VLF machines.
    I was able to find an English copper down about 8 or so inches with that.

us
    Jan 2013
    bucks county, pa
    teknetics
    4 times
    im in levittown and been MDing the canal but havent had much luck but i really didnt hit it hard when i went out.

us
    Jan 2013
    bucks county, pa
    teknetics
    4 times
    cousineddie i hear you man, im from the levittown area and an tried the canals but all i could think was the dcnr was gonna come driving by and kick me out. i also gto a county premit from core creek park and permission at a local state park but havent had the success that i see some of the members in diferent areas of the country. are there any places to hunt in the bucks county area that u wontbe bothered.

Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

Sep 2018
    Conshohocken PA
    Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    755 times
    The gate keepers house ruins was still standing when I was a teenager the lock portion was pretty much in tact also went back there about a year ago and the landscape has changed so much ruins are gone couldn’t even locate the lock area

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links