Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'g PA's canals,worth the effort ???

Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone in PA has had any luck MD'g around the various remnants of the old canals that were used in SE PA back in the 19th century ??
By luck I mean any period coins, not old iron spikes and hardware.
I've had the opportunity to check out a couple of sections, but have come away pretty much empty handed, except for the odd brass cartridge case or pewter spoon handle.
I'm using an Etrac with a 10x12 coil, which can usually pickup a LC or quarter at around 10" depending on soil conditions.
Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going try my area this winter when its not so grown up

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there is always potential there but as others have stated, lots of iron and junk and most of the good stuff that remains is probably very deep. I hunted the Union Canal in Lebanon County and found nothing of interest. I talked to others and they said years ago they found a few coins but not many.

OP
OP
D

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting that 'years ago' some coins were found.
Makes me wonder how far back we're talking and what kind of equipment was used.
It would have been tough work to find coins over a few inches deep before the advent of VLF technology; unless the soil was very lightly mineralized.
I had a Coinmaster 5 ( what a wrist breaker) which I think was one of the first VLF machines.
I was able to find an English copper down about 8 or so inches with that.

diggy

Jan 4, 2013
bucks county, pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in levittown and been MDing the canal but havent had much luck but i really didnt hit it hard when i went out.

diggy

Jan 4, 2013
bucks county, pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cousineddie i hear you man, im from the levittown area and an tried the canals but all i could think was the dcnr was gonna come driving by and kick me out. i also gto a county premit from core creek park and permission at a local state park but havent had the success that i see some of the members in diferent areas of the country. are there any places to hunt in the bucks county area that u wontbe bothered.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gate keepers house ruins was still standing when I was a teenager the lock portion was pretty much in tact also went back there about a year ago and the landscape has changed so much ruins are gone couldn’t even locate the lock area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread