Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: found 1911 v nickle cleaning?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2012

found 1911 v nickle cleaning?

I recently found my oldest coin yet its a 1911 v nickle. Its caked with grime and i was woundering if i should clean it or just leave it alone. Also would like to know some of the more experienced detectors cleaning methods. I will try to post some pics but it keeps crashing when i upload. Thanks and good digging

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbower
    I recently found my oldest coin yet its a 1911 v nickle. Its caked with grime and i was woundering if i should clean it or just leave it alone. Also would like to know some of the more experienced detectors cleaning methods. I will try to post some pics but it keeps crashing when i upload. Thanks and good digging
    Try short soaks in lemon juice. Check it often until your happy with the results. Use a Q tip to clean.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1780 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Naval jelly works good on nickels .

us
    Sep 2012
    Ohio
    White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Naval jelly works good on nickels .
    Wait what?....is there an inny and an outty jelly.

Might wanna check the value of that coin before you over clean / scratch it. If you don't care you can try some of the methods.....olive oil ( long wait but gentle ), vinagar and salt ( harsh ), peroxide heated then drop in the coin(could be harsh) , rock tumbler, electrolizis ( I can't spell to save my life) . Good luck
    Mzjavert likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1780 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    haha, mfitz70 The word "naval" I believe was root word "navy", as in ...... that's how they cleaned rust off components.

Seriously now: naval jelly can be got at the hardware store, etc... It's a rust-remover. And the reason why it works good for nickels, is that that rusty colored reddish color that nickels get in the ground, is rust (hence the red color).

Once you are done persuading it with naval jelly, the color of the nickel will then be more of a pink-color, that can come off, maybe, with tooth-paste persuasion.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    E-Trac, T2
    1459 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitzs70 View Post
    Wait what?....is there an inny and an outty jelly.

Might wanna check the value of that coin before you over clean / scratch it. If you don't care you can try some of the methods.....olive oil ( long wait but gentle ), vinagar and salt ( harsh ), peroxide heated then drop in the coin(could be harsh) , rock tumbler, electrolizis ( I can't spell to save my life) . Good luck
    What is there to check? It's a common date V Nickel. Cleaning isn't gonna hurt it.

Oct 2012
    Did electrolysis on nickle. Worked pretty good. Still pink but looks nice. Might try the naval jelly to clean it up some more.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1187 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    haha, mfitz70 The word "naval" I believe was root word "navy", as in ...... that's how they cleaned rust off components.

Seriously now: naval jelly can be got at the hardware store, etc... It's a rust-remover. And the reason why it works good for nickels, is that that rusty colored reddish color that nickels get in the ground, is rust (hence the red color).

Once you are done persuading it with naval jelly, the color of the nickel will then be more of a pink-color, that can come off, maybe, with tooth-paste persuasion.
    Yup, naval jelly, not navel jelly......ugh....how long without a bath would it take to generate that!

Oct 2012
    Turned up a buffalo nickle today a few weatys and my buddie got himself realy nice 1919 merc dime. My dad demos houses and allways calls when hes in the older parts of town.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White GMT, DFX, Cinmaster, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
    602 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbower View Post
    I found an 1889 V-nickel, while out gold prospecting. This was a couple of years ago. I tried different methods (all the regular) of cleaning it. In the end, I wish I'd just used soap and water, and then left it alone.
    Jim

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Vaquero
    1038 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    An overnight soak in worcheshire sauce will turn your nickle back to grey and might allow you to see a bit more detail. The finish will be flat and not shines though.

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    E-Trac, T2
    1459 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMN View Post
    An overnight soak in worcheshire sauce will turn your nickle back to grey and might allow you to see a bit more detail. The finish will be flat and not shines though.
    It is the vinegar in the sauce that works on nickels. Better off soaking it in vinegar to bring out the details or to restore a worn date.

us
    Sep 2012
    Ohio
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    This is why you have it graded first before cleaning. Good Luck

1911 Liberty Head V Nickel

CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1911 Liberty Head V Nickel Value | CoinTrackers at a minimum of $2.5, one in perfect condition can be worth $115 or more. (see details)...

Type: Liberty Head V Nickel
    Year: 1911
    Mint Mark: No mint mark
    Face Value: 0.05 USD
    Total Produced: 39,557,000 [?]
    Silver Content: 0%
    Numismatic Value: $2.5 to $115
    Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $2.5, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $115. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified. [?].

Additional Info: 1733 proof liberty head nickels coins were issued this year and they are worth about $300

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    E-Trac, T2
    1459 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitzs70 View Post
    This is why you have it graded first before cleaning. Good Luck

1911 Liberty Head V Nickel

CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1911 Liberty Head V Nickel Value | CoinTrackers at a minimum of $2.5, one in perfect condition can be worth $115 or more. (see details)...

Type: Liberty Head V Nickel
    Year: 1911
    Mint Mark: No mint mark
    Face Value: 0.05 USD
    Total Produced: 39,557,000 [?]
    Silver Content: 0%
    Numismatic Value: $2.5 to $115
    Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $2.5, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $115. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified. [?].

Additional Info: 1733 proof liberty head nickels coins were issued this year and they are worth about $300
    I fail to see your point. It came out of the ground and is obviously suffering from environmental damage, thus the OP is asking for advice on how to clean it. The info you posted says that in PERFECT condition, it might be worth $115. This is completely irrevelevant information and only seeks to confuse the OP, as his coin is nowhere near that kind of condition or value.

When you dig up a common date coin, it should be pretty easy to look it up and see if you have a rare coin. If it is a common date, such as this 1911 nickel, it's collector value is typically going to be minimal. Clean it up to YOUR standards and enjoy it for what it is.

us
    Sep 2012
    Ohio
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Actually the poster said " caked with grime" and I don't see where he states digging it out of the ground. You can assume all you want on the true condition (which you have not seen to be able to comment on) but my point was to check to if it is worth anything first. You on the otherhand knowing the red book by heart would not have to think twice and would clean it and thats fine. The poster asked if he should clean it or leave it alone showing he was looking for guidance and my opinion was to check the value first.
    Last edited by mfitzs70; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors