Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jeffbower said:
I recently found my oldest coin yet its a 1911 v nickle. Its caked with grime and i was woundering if i should clean it or just leave it alone. Also would like to know some of the more experienced detectors cleaning methods. I will try to post some pics but it keeps crashing when i upload. Thanks and good digging

Try short soaks in lemon juice. Check it often until your happy with the results. Use a Q tip to clean.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Naval jelly works good on nickels .

Wait what?....is there an inny and an outty jelly.

Might wanna check the value of that coin before you over clean / scratch it. If you don't care you can try some of the methods.....olive oil ( long wait but gentle ), vinagar and salt ( harsh ), peroxide heated then drop in the coin(could be harsh) , rock tumbler, electrolizis ( I can't spell to save my life) . Good luck

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha, mfitz70 :) The word "naval" I believe was root word "navy", as in ...... that's how they cleaned rust off components.

Seriously now: naval jelly can be got at the hardware store, etc... It's a rust-remover. And the reason why it works good for nickels, is that that rusty colored reddish color that nickels get in the ground, is rust (hence the red color).

Once you are done persuading it with naval jelly, the color of the nickel will then be more of a pink-color, that can come off, maybe, with tooth-paste persuasion.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait what?....is there an inny and an outty jelly.

Might wanna check the value of that coin before you over clean / scratch it. If you don't care you can try some of the methods.....olive oil ( long wait but gentle ), vinagar and salt ( harsh ), peroxide heated then drop in the coin(could be harsh) , rock tumbler, electrolizis ( I can't spell to save my life) . Good luck

What is there to check? It's a common date V Nickel. Cleaning isn't gonna hurt it.

OP
OP
jeffbower

jeffbower

Oct 7, 2012
Did electrolysis on nickle. Worked pretty good. Still pink but looks nice. Might try the naval jelly to clean it up some more.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha, mfitz70 :) The word "naval" I believe was root word "navy", as in ...... that's how they cleaned rust off components.

Seriously now: naval jelly can be got at the hardware store, etc... It's a rust-remover. And the reason why it works good for nickels, is that that rusty colored reddish color that nickels get in the ground, is rust (hence the red color).

Once you are done persuading it with naval jelly, the color of the nickel will then be more of a pink-color, that can come off, maybe, with tooth-paste persuasion.
Yup, naval jelly, not navel jelly......ugh....how long without a bath would it take to generate that!

OP
OP
jeffbower

jeffbower

Oct 7, 2012
Turned up a buffalo nickle today a few weatys and my buddie got himself realy nice 1919 merc dime. My dad demos houses and allways calls when hes in the older parts of town.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently found my oldest coin yet its a 1911 v nickle. Its caked with grime and i was woundering if i should clean it or just leave it alone. Also would like to know some of the more experienced detectors cleaning methods. I will try to post some pics but it keeps crashing when i upload. Thanks and good digging
I found an 1889 V-nickel, while out gold prospecting. This was a couple of years ago. I tried different methods (all the regular) of cleaning it. In the end, I wish I'd just used soap and water, and then left it alone.
Jim

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An overnight soak in worcheshire sauce will turn your nickle back to grey and might allow you to see a bit more detail. The finish will be flat and not shines though.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
An overnight soak in worcheshire sauce will turn your nickle back to grey and might allow you to see a bit more detail. The finish will be flat and not shines though.

It is the vinegar in the sauce that works on nickels. Better off soaking it in vinegar to bring out the details or to restore a worn date.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why you have it graded first before cleaning. Good Luck

1911 Liberty Head V Nickel

CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1911 Liberty Head V Nickel Value | CoinTrackers at a minimum of $2.5, one in perfect condition can be worth $115 or more. (see details)...

Type: Liberty Head V Nickel
Year: 1911
Mint Mark: No mint mark
Face Value: 0.05 USD
Total Produced: 39,557,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: $2.5 to $115
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $2.5, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $115. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified. [?].

Additional Info: 1733 proof liberty head nickels coins were issued this year and they are worth about $300

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why you have it graded first before cleaning. Good Luck

1911 Liberty Head V Nickel

CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1911 Liberty Head V Nickel Value | CoinTrackers at a minimum of $2.5, one in perfect condition can be worth $115 or more. (see details)...

Type: Liberty Head V Nickel
Year: 1911
Mint Mark: No mint mark
Face Value: 0.05 USD
Total Produced: 39,557,000 [?]
Silver Content: 0%
Numismatic Value: $2.5 to $115
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $2.5, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $115. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say poor, we mean worn more than would be expected from a coin in this age, and perfect meaning it looks "perfect" without flaw and possibly even certified. [?].

Additional Info: 1733 proof liberty head nickels coins were issued this year and they are worth about $300

I fail to see your point. It came out of the ground and is obviously suffering from environmental damage, thus the OP is asking for advice on how to clean it. The info you posted says that in PERFECT condition, it might be worth $115. This is completely irrevelevant information and only seeks to confuse the OP, as his coin is nowhere near that kind of condition or value.

When you dig up a common date coin, it should be pretty easy to look it up and see if you have a rare coin. If it is a common date, such as this 1911 nickel, it's collector value is typically going to be minimal. Clean it up to YOUR standards and enjoy it for what it is.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually the poster said " caked with grime" and I don't see where he states digging it out of the ground. You can assume all you want on the true condition (which you have not seen to be able to comment on) but my point was to check to if it is worth anything first. You on the otherhand knowing the red book by heart would not have to think twice and would clean it and thats fine. The poster asked if he should clean it or leave it alone showing he was looking for guidance and my opinion was to check the value first.

Last edited:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually the poster said " caked with grime" and I don't see where he states digging it out of the ground. You can assume all you want on the true condition (which you have not seen to be able to comment on) but my point was to check to if it is worth anything first. You on the otherhand knowing the red book by heart would not have to think twice and would clean it and thats fine. The poster asked if he should clean it or leave it alone showing he was looking for guidance and my opinion was to check the value first.

Well said.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I am the ONLY person who actually read every post and reply in this thread including the one where I informed the OP that it is indeed a common date coin.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you're not the only one.........:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread