Lets hear some opinions for best detector to use in fields with extremely high iron

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt farm fields where old homesteads once stood, all spring before planting and in the fall after the harvest. Been using the etrac for a lil over 3 yrs now and have been real sucessful. But I am all ears to peoples opinions. What detector recovers fastest in super heavy iron, places where houses were tore down and your getting 10-12 iron hits per swing.

I use the 6x8 SEF coil and always use TTF while in the fields, got some awesome finds for sure, but in the back of my mind, just curious if I am missing much that a faster detector might get.....ok lets here those opinions

Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"My detector is better than yours." Some detectors are better in iron, but everyone has their "opinion". Just look at the features the machine has related to working in iron. Then you can make a more educated choice. I looked at an ad for one of the machines claimed to be so good and there was not one single mention about iron , not one. I don't think there is another machine that has more features for working in iron than the Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the opinions, I would love to hear from guys who hunt LOTS of farm fields where houses were tore down. I know IP does this a lot, any others?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The fisher Goldbug pro and the tek are good in infested iron.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither machine has even one specific feature for working in iron.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not here to bad mouth another detectors because for starters it's whatever you like to use. The detector the guy was using cost more than the AT Gold and was considered a multi-use and gold finding machine from a big company. maybe I shouldn't be spilling my secrets here. Maybe I should say "Don't use it in iron or around bottle caps." LOL

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the deal, watch out because it's tough to follow.... On the T2 SE disc out IRON. A setting of 40 is where it damn near nulls out iron, yet doesn't effect depth or target id. If that "guy" had his sensitivity jacked to the max thinking it was going to get him monster depth, that could have been a problem too. Super high sens settings on the T2 SE get a little hot on iron. This machine is powerful straight outta' the box. I have owned 7-8 detectors, from White's to Minelab, over a short period of time and the T2 SE has handled the best. As you said earlier it's all opinion. I use an AT pro as well....BOTH are great in iron, but the T2 SE has incredible depth and awesome audio to help people use TONES more than VDI.

P.S...: You don't even use the T2 SE. Why comment about a machine you don't use? Not being a smart ass, but Terry wanted advice from people that actually USE the machine they are critiquing. You apparently are an AT Gold or Pro user. Type the glories of the machine you actually use. I have an AT Pro as a back up...great machine.

Last edited:

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from many of the replies here, I'd go with the machine that has the most testosterone :icon_thumright:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm said:
Don't let any detector dealers hear about this post.

No no ticm, I disagree. I see an opportunity. COMING SOON Miller MDZ detector and tractor sales!!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I'm going to say is....Minelab Safari.....Done.

I hunt farms, farmhouses, homesteads, old barns, foundations, etc.........I will say it again....Minelab Safari.

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the EXP II and then the Etrac exclusively for the last few years and was pulling old coins from sites I hit 35 years ago and I know have been hit a lot by others too.
But then I picked up a used Teknetics T2 SE with the boost and cache modes out of curiosity because of the positive comments I've read.
At least in my test bed, the T2 is not as sensitive as the Etrac; but I have pulled coins out of junk infested areas with it that I covered with my Etrac and I must say that surprised me.But that could have been my ineptitude not the machine.
The T-2 does seem to handle mineralized ground a tad better than the Etrac,but I think G4E is in the midwest where the soils are milder; so that may not be an issue.
Bottom line is, reading through the various forums will give a good idea of who's' consistantly finding the goods and with what.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the machines posted will handle iron similarly and will do it well. It is all about how you use your machine and how "in-tune" you are with what your machine is telling you.

The AT Pro has no problem in iron but the E-trac just does it a little bit better. Most of the guys I hunt with run the T2 SE and I am extremely impressed with it. It can run with the best of them.

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the machines posted will handle iron similarly and will do it well. It is all about how you use your machine and how "in-tune" you are with what your machine is telling you.

The AT Pro has no problem in iron but the E-trac just does it a little bit better. Most of the guys I hunt with run the T2 SE and I am extremely impressed with it. It can run with the best of them.
And considering the T2 SE's cost makes it even more impressive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions