air tes: DXL, EAGLE SPECTRUM, GARRETT SEAHUNTER II

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a large 18kgold ring for this test, it weights 7.54 dwt, or 11.726 grams. Both the spectrum with a 950 coil and dxl with a 300 were in factory beach mode. I got a vdi number showing up at 9.5" with the spectrum, 9" with dxl, and I got a noticeable change in threshold at 13" with the Garrett and its 8" coil, and a clearly identifiable response at 12".

The seahunter2 did about 9" on a quarter. The Spectrum did 11" on the quarter (swinging it fast). The DFX 8". That seems weird, but that's what happened.

Under the conditions, with all the machines on my bedroom mattress, the dfx in beach mode was noisy, it could not ground balance. the spectrum did balance (I don't know how, but it did) and was quiet.

I'm not claiming in any way that this was a fair test for the DXL, so please don't hit me. It's just whatever it is. I don't even claim I got it right as far as the responses and measurements, but there it is for whatever its worth.

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
scaupus said:
I used a large 18kgold ring for this test, it weights 7.54 dwt, or 11.726 grams. Both the spectrum with a 950 coil and dxl with a 300 were in factory beach mode. I got a vdi number showing up at 9.5" with the spectrum, 9" with dxl, and I got a noticeable change in threshold at 13" with the Garrett and its 8" coil, and a clearly identifiable response at 12".

The seahunter2 did about 9" on a quarter. The Spectrum did 11" on the quarter (swinging it fast). The DFX 8". That seems weird, but that's what happened.

Under the conditions, with all the machines on my bedroom mattress, the dfx in beach mode was noisy, it could not ground balance. the spectrum did balance (I don't know how, but it did) and was quiet.

I'm not claiming in any way that this was a fair test for the DXL, so please don't hit me. It's just whatever it is. I don't even claim I got it right as far as the responses and measurements, but there it is for whatever its worth.

Does not seem to be worth anything. Because of your admittance that it may not be fair. That and air tests mean nothing in the real world of metal detecting.

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Air tests, indoors, in the presence of EMI from routers, cordless phones, power lines throughout the house, and nearby metal from the "test bed", would result in meaningless results. Test'em outside, with known targets that have been buried for months to years. Keep cell phones other electrical noise sources away, and you have a better test. But even then, in different gound conditions and target types, results may be different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread