Todays finds...a Whites MXT

SnowQueen

Jan 6, 2005
Todays finds...a White's MXT

YEA!!! ;D I told you I was going to order one before the end of the week. I am so excited, it should arrive by next Wednesday. It isn't new, but it's less than a year old...I was purchased new last July. I am going to start reading the manuel and other literature to try to get aquainted with it before it arrives. But I can't wait to take it out for a test run! Joy! Joy!! ;D

Upvote 0

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
Re: Todays finds...a White's MXT

iT SHOULD BRING YOU MANY YEARS OF DETECTING FUN!! Good luck!! Keep us informed of your finds!!! H.H.

OP
OP
S

SnowQueen

Jan 6, 2005

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I can't wait to post my finds. SnowQueen

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

Congrats SQ. Glad you found one so quick! I've had a few replies to my post about MXT settings. Drop me a PM and I'll pass them along~CO2

M

mrmark55

Congratulations!
In my opinion you made a wise choice. Whites makes some great detectors.
When I bought my DFX my finds must have tripled at least.
You are in for some great hunting.
Mr Mark :D

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005

You'll love the MXT, it's great on old nickels, got 94 indian heads alone in 2004.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units

SQ, I also use the MXT and absolutely love it. It's a great machine for a novice or pro. You can turn it on and start hunting or get creative with your settings as you learn the machine.
What type of hunting are you doing and in what areas (park, beach, schools, etc.)
Where are you from?
Good luck and congrats.
xXx

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri

You'll like it. I use a white's Spectrum and I love it. The only way I'll ever get another is if I somehow break this one or it gets stolen. If that happens, I'll look for another Spectrum or XLT, since they are pretty much the same. HH

OP
OP
S

SnowQueen

Jan 6, 2005

Just got it in this afternoon! I put it together and started swinging it when it turned dark. But, I did find a penny on top of the grass that the boys threw out when they were sweeping. (I guess I should be glad they swept, but sure wish they would use a dust pan and at least take the coins out!)

Will I need to set the ground, salt, lock switch each time I go out? I was just wondering. I hope to try it out tomorrow. HH everyone!

C

czman

Wish you all the luck girl and read that manual over and over...you cant read it too much...Happy Hunting.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005

It depends on where you detect, here in Wisconsin I never had it switched to salt, unless i bumbed it. Get various coins and practice where they read up. In time you'll pretty much know what it is before you dig. Have fun.

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2

Petes right, get out and practice!! It's like anything else.....the more you ust it the easier it gets and the better you will get.Whites makes excellent products! I use the xlt and my son got his first detector a whites prismV in november.Keep us posted on your finds!! Good luck and happy hunting!!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

Hey SQ. Wrote you a PM and it got rejected. You need to throw away some mail! I'll try again later. Congrats on the new machine~CO2

OP
OP
S

SnowQueen

Jan 6, 2005

It was a rough day out for the first day. I managed to find 2 dimes (by sight), 2 penny's with the MD and an old pull tab with the MD. I found that my in-laws ground is EXTREMELY heavy laden with iron. On the coin/jewelry setting...it was going off constantly with iron, iron, hot rock, hot rock. I thought it was the MXT or me, but when I went to the park with the boys later, that was no longer an issue and the setting remained the same. Also on my in-laws ground something kind of gross, but interesting. I was MD'ing over the freshly tilled soil that my father-in-law is preparing for his garden. I say fresh, he tilled it last week. Anyway, the local rabbit community has been using the soil to deposit their "waste" materials. The MD picked it up. They must have a diet really high in iron, lol. When I was at the park, I didn't get many hits, but was told that it often gets gone over with MDs. On the hits that I did get, I was unable to retrieve any of the items except the 2 pennys on top of the ground. I really need to get a good trawl for better digging and I need to learn to pinpoint better. I read the manual several times, but I guess I need to read it more because I still don't feel very secure with it. Today my settings were Coin & Jewelry, Gain was about 4 I believe, Dual control was about 4.
I'm exhausted and my arms are sore and I only found 2 cents with my MD and I can't wait to go back. So I guess that means I'm hooked. All's well! ::)

If you can help me with my settings or with my understanding now that I have my machine in hand, well, it's actually on the floor beside me, let me know! HH Snow

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005

Gain and dual have little white arrows, those are the preset to start with. Give that a try, then put it to relic. Try both over a known target see what you think. The triger by the handle i keep in the center. Relic gives a high tone, you can night hunt by sound.

OP
OP
S

SnowQueen

Jan 6, 2005

hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I contacted Allen at ProStockDetectors.com where I purchased my MD from and he walked me through using the MXT! What a GREAT HELP! His help along with all the help from everyone here on the forum has made me feel so very secure. I really appreciate someone just walking me along though using it and telling me stuff. He also helped with some digging techniques. I am afraid that even though I am a college graduate, I am terrible at learning by reading. I learn much better by hands on activity with someone directing me.

Also, I wanted to let ya'll know about this website. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/home.html#SOME 'QUICK-READ' TREASURE HUNTING
Allen told me about it. It has several stories of his about treasure hunting.

I plan on reading it. I'll be going out today for about an hour. My arms are so SORE today!!! lol...I forget how puny and out of shape I am. If my new detector can help me get in shape, it will be worth it for no other reason, and being outside with the great outdoors is much better than being inside exercise spa.

W

wepc

I gotta say Whites builds great machines. I switched from the XLT to the MXT. I have only hunted about three times with the MXT and I have noticed a few negatives about the MXT. The Relic/Coin and jewelry switch flips easily, which can happen accidently.
And the Threshold knob turns too easily as well. I have dust weather proof covers which alone make these adjusments for me.
I may abandon the cover on the box for these reasons. Bang for the buck, the MXT is a great way to go.

PCarroll

Dec 26, 2004

I too also have an MXT that I just got buthavent really had it out yet. I only Live ablot 80 miles away from Rye Patch in Nevada and plan to do some nugget hunting as soon as the weather gets better.Hopefully I will have some luck there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread