finally got to use my metal detector

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 years ago my father-in-law passed away. He was a pretty avid MDer, but I never went with him. When we cleaned out his house, I took the MD with me. It's a White's 5900 DI Pro SL. I hung it up in the garage and didn't give it a 2nd thought til a few weeks ago.

I took it down, cleaned it up and bought a new battery case and batteries. Didn't have a chance to mess with it until Sat night at a friend's house. Got it on & kind of tuned, and went out to search the empty lot next to his house (he owns the lot). Wish I would have known what people driving by thought of 2 guys with flashlights and shovels in a field at night in a bad part of town.

We were happy just to see it work. First ever find (for me) with this detector;
find.JPG

No idea what it is, found it near a 5" linkage rod and a broken 1/2" diameter spring. It's about 1.5" across. Pipe fitting?

All we found was a lot of trash, mostly rusted nails. A few scrap iron, a drum bung, bottle cap, rebar, etc. Looked like a collection of 80's trash. It was still fun though.

I think I've got a long way to go getting this machine figured out. I need to test the display on some known items to get a feel for what the needle display means.

I started on my backyard yesterday, after the 10th nail I thought about how many projects I've built in the back over the last 10 years, and how many nails & screws I've dropped. Called it quits after that. My 6 yr old daughter had a blast with it though.

We'll keep at it. There's a nice big city park behind my house that's calling me. Just need to get my plug digging skills fine-tuned.

Upvote 0

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, if you're on property with proper permission lots of people dirtfish at night.
It's cooler, less harassment, more time, etc.

I have done it quite a bit, I just use a red LED headlamp. You may FEEL like they are, but believe me people won't see a tiny red light from a moving car at night and it provides plenty of light for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread