Are their any statistics on how many coins have dropped or vanished in years past?

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how that would be very accurate as you are looking for a number that is summed up in what people DON'T know.
If they did know, they would still have it.

Logic would dictate if it's lost, you don't know what happened to it.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always heard that there are more coins lost in the ground than there are in circulation. I have no idea how true that is, but it sounds plausible.

OP
OP
S

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was asking because I wanted to see how big the pot is that we are fighting over, I think it was something on lost currency

OP
OP
S

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always heard that there are more coins lost in the ground than there are in circulation. I have no idea how true that is, but it sounds plausible.

I am sure with all the pennies they mint these days, that their are more pennies in circulation now then lost.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I know silver is NOT a "renewable resource" and in 15 years a SLQ or good condition Mercury dime will make the banner.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general rule is that there are more lost coins in total, than in circulation. Hope that helps

Then again, every night when I work I always find coins, so that number is slowly shrinking. As a matter of fact I'll probably post those eye finds at the end of the year.. And yes, it does include paper currency too :laughing7:

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general rule is that there are more lost coins in total, than in circulation. Hope that helps

I can see that. A percentage every year vs. what remains a constant due to removal of circulation. I can see how it would add up.
Kinda like the "Would you rather take a million dollars or a job that lasts for 30 days, and the pay rate is a penny on the first day and doubles every day" riddle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread