Re-post.. with pics: RE: Need Help! Any geologists out there?

mdhunter

Greenie
May 12, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this yesterday:

I appreciate any ideas here. I was detecting and panning for gold up in the San Gabriel mountains a couple of years ago with my son, and my detector sounded off like crazy over a very large rock (about 2ft in diameter). I assumed it was granite, typical white rock with black specks, and super heavy. But I could be wrong. I pushed the rock around to different spots on the ground just to make sure I wasn't catching something NEXT to it.. but no matter where I moved it.. the detector went crazy. I tried researching online any kinds of metals thay may be found in granite rocks... but so far nothing. So if anyone has had any experiences like this.. or any ideas, it would be great. I am planning a trip back with my truck... maybe I can find that same rock and break it up if there's anything worth while inside!

And it was obvious by all the replies that for anyone to give any opinion, I would need to have pics. I searched the web and finally found a very good representation of the rock I was dealing with, so I'm attaching the pic I found. NOW is there anyone that has any idea? haha

I am also *tentatively* planning a trip back up there this weekend. So if that rock is still there I am making it my mission to locate it again... this time with a sledge hammer!

Thanks guys!
C

Attachments

• rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they look like rocks to me too.

To confirm you must use your other senses of smell and touch, but the most beneficial method is to actually taste it :icon_thumright:

By the way, your rock probably has some iron ore in it

OP
OP
M

mdhunter

Greenie
May 12, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucky for you I speak sarcasm. But you obviously didn't read my previous post and replies. There was only one rock that made the detector go off. I put that photo as an example. I checked all the other rocks in the area that were identical and not one made the detector go off... so my simple question was... does anyone with metal detecting experience know what it could be. Not looking for a definite answer or a scientific explanation... just a simple "it could be..." or "that happened to me once and it was...." would suffice.

But I appreciate the effort, im sure it took many minutes of deep thought to come up with that.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I appreciate the effort, im sure it took many minutes of deep thought to come up with that.

Nah, stupidity comes easy for me :laughing7:

OK, maybe it's like a Cracker Jack's box, split it open and find gold :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

mdhunter

Greenie
May 12, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe if im lucky its a big piece of granite containing quartz containing gold... although I dont have that kinda luck so your iron idea is probably closer to the truth.. It was just really confusing how strong the signal was considering I didnt get a peep from any of the surrounding identical rocks.

Going back Saturday..maybe I'll get my answer.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good luck, I wouldn't just go crazy over it :tongue3: As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even bother checking other rocks, just enjoy the day out and do some metal detecting..

By the way; if you do opt to detect, I'd just steer clear of all rocks :tongue3:

OP
OP
M

mdhunter

Greenie
May 12, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, in my own defense, I wasn't there specifically detecting rocks... it was the end of the day and we were walking back to the car. I was just kinda goofing around swiping the metal detector over everything as we were coming back. I wasn't expecting to get a hit on anything since that whole area was filled with these rocks. That one I got a hit on was literally 1 in a 1000.. thats why i specifically started doing a sweep over about 20 or so similar rocks in the immediate area. You're obviously not impressed, but its exciting to hear such a loud beep in your ear.. whether its coming from the ground or from inside a huge rock. And no, I dont plan on detecting rocks all day... im actually bringing my panning equip. too, but I will spend a little time trying to find that one rock again... I just need to know whats inside. And if I cant find it... oh well... but I need to try.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I saw something a few years back where there were some guys ,theyd go into a river and find these big flat rocks(huge) and split them open and find gold. I wish my memory was better than that, thats all I got for ya. Split that mother open and good luck.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my curiosity .... if you find the rock and what made the detector react , get some pics for us please . Good luck ...

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like decaying granite. You can bust it open to see if there's a vein or ore in there, but you're odds are probably better that it's just a hot rock. The last laugh may be on us. You might split it open and find a nice nugget inside. Knew a guy when we were working the East Fork that found a big rock that he was suspicious of. No detector. His was a big chunk of quartz and there wasn't anything decaying about it. He had to work to get it busted up but it turned out to be worthwhile. He ended up getting a 4+ ounce nugget out of it. It looked a bit like a horn of plenty in shape that was a blob of wire gold. Once he had it knocked free...it was a nugget with a small smattering of quartz, rather than quartz with a smattering of gold. He carried it around with him all summer showing it to anyone passing by. He was never able to understand what made him decided to break it open as there was no gold visible on the outside that he was following in. Just luck and a gut feeling.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
This could all be avoided if you would just carry sledge hammer with you while detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retest the rock with a detector that has discrimination to see if it's iron or some non-ferrous metal like gold. Still, if there is any doubt, break it open! Just be sure to use goggles if you're going to hammer, chisel, or blast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread