Need help with cellar holes!!

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
It seems the best way to find a cellar hole is to be local to the area and hunt or hike. Well, I'm neither of those, but I so desperately want to find a spot to detect off the beaten path. Pickens are extremely slim around Tampa. I live for old coins and relics. So, do I just research maps of old townships, or wander around the woods aimlessly? How the heck do you guys do it??? Any researching help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
joshuajbelanger said:
It seems the best way to find a cellar hole is to be local to the area and hunt or hike. Well, I'm neither of those, but I so desperately want to find a spot to detect off the beaten path. Pickens are extremely slim around Tampa. I live for old coins and relics. So, do I just research maps of old townships, or wander around the woods aimlessly? How the heck do you guys do it??? Any researching help would be appreciated!

Go for the wandering around aimlessly. You may find that new detector you have been looking for.

OP
OP
joshuajbelanger

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Decided on the etrac, get it next week...that's why I'm looking for cellar holes O_o

OP
OP
joshuajbelanger

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
I can't tell if you are stoic or pompous, how about a little punctuation...(three dots means sarcastic)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm usually will leave 4 dots.... If I were to reply, there would be a hell of a lot more....... :laughing7:

But in all fairness to answer your original question. You are doing just fine walking around, all you have to do is hit an area that was boarded up to cover that cellar hole. Once you fall in, just have a look around :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I have not dotted in the past. Contrary to what Spartacus said, I do not dot now. And by God I'll not dot in the future.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not dotted in the past. Contrary to what Spartacus said, I do not dot now. And by God I'll not dot in the future.
Ticm and Sparticus thanks for the humor I needed a smile and a laugh. Well done........

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres a dumb question(maybe), are there cellar holes in florida? I grew up near pennsicola(in bama) and remember digging around the yard as a kid. Couldnt get more than a foot deep without hitting water. Dont think I ever saw a house down there with a cellar.

OP
OP
joshuajbelanger

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Ok, when I say cellar hole, I'm just talking about a foundation and a chimney....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joshua,

They can be a tough audience at times....remember it's just a hobby....if you find a site with an old foundation there'll probably be lots of nails and other junk.....so lots of targets to sift through but odds are good a few keepers could be
had as well.

Regards + HH

Bill

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, ive found lots of old cellar holes here in upstate ny while i was hunting or fishing. just get off the beaten path and go camping, you never know what may come up---------good luck & keep diggin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread