First decent find

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Orange County, Southern Californi
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found my first decent find today near a local park next to a bench. Not sure what its made of, but it is not magnetic. image.jpg

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Well there you go!!!! You are hooked now! Neat little heart - hope it's silver!

OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I'm really excited! Getting a garret 150 for Christmas too! Who says the 50 dollar detector at harbor freight won't work lol

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a man that finally gets it. It doesn't matter what you have so long as you find something (even crap) and just have fun

I love your little saying :laughing7:

"As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!"

I own a 250 and do OK with it, so no need to upgrade and impress the Joneses :laughing7: I'm not sure what the real difference is better the 150 & 250, but I do know the only difference for the most part between the 250 & 350 is a $100 additional price tag. Maybe it's because of the butterfly coil, but you can always buy aftermarket coils and have a spare coil :laughing7:

OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey thanks Spartacus
It's confirmed, my fiancée is buying me a garret 150 ace for Christmas, gotta love her!
I'm hoping this heart is worth something, not that I really mind, but it would be nice. Is your 250 pretty accurate with your readings? The discrimination/tone functions on my current detector are useless, so I'm digging pretty much every target, iron nails included :(
I might need to watch some videos on detecting for general advice, all I know is scan and dig, heck even my digging needs to be brushed up, because it takes me way too long to dig a target haha

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I don't know if it's the area, me, or both; but I have no problems with the discrimination/tones. Besides, I dig everything anyway

The good thing the 250 has that your machine lacks is the pin pointer which is a bit of a help. I would also hunt in the all metal mode and just learn the tones. Why take the chance using another mode and perhaps missing something. Me, I dig everything, as there is not a machine out there that is 100% :tongue3: Trust me, people with the most expensive detectors find crap too, maybe not as often but they do. :laughing7: Ignore tones and you may miss something good :laughing7:

Most importantly, just have fun :headbang:

I suggest you watch this video too.

OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only issue with my harbor freight detector is that all the tones are the same, if it's a hit, it's a hit, period. No possible way of telling what it might be before you dig it up, but that's due to the lack of functionality. I tested the disc/tone on some silver coins and clad coins and it just wouldn't work. If you set it to make a different tone on iron only, it will make a different sound on iron, silver, zinc, copper, gold, aluminum, nickel, EVERYTHING, so it's technically useless haha. I believe the heart is silver plated, it has some black tarnish under what looks to be silver plating, albeit thick, it's still plating I believe

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Deputy I have the ACE350 its not easy to learn. I have been detecting for about six months now, three with the bounty hunter505-d or something like that, cost about a $100 several years ago, set in my garage new for years until I found it while laid off work. The rest is history one true and died mder anyway I use the 350 as much as I can but my holes are too big, got to dig to deep etc,etc,.. I often go back to the bounty hunter or my beep and dig to satisfy my cravings to find something (mostly clad). there are times I will carry both machines the 350 to find the item and the BH almost as a pinpointer and confirmation that there is truly something there.If my son had not bought it as a gift the 350 may have been gone for something like a coinmaster or some other machine. The point is just because it costs more or has more bells and whistles does not necessarily make it better. Hope you are happy with the 150, happy hunting

OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey seek!

Yeah I believe you, I was talking to my grandpa and he had told me that he likes his garret 250 better than his gold bug, and I believe his goldbug was like 800 dollars or something. If my 50 dollar harbor freight piece of junk will find silver/silver plated hearts and some old coins, then I'm convinced that the ACE 150 will do just as good if not better. Its more the thrill of digging something up and not knowing what it is, so the need to find the super fancy, rare, expensive items isn't really there. Sure it would be a bonus to dig some really neat stuff, but if I can continue to dig some silver coins, old coins, old jewelry (which my current detector does pretty well, for being a cheap model that is) then I'll be okay. I was supposed to head out to Red Chispa today, out in the California desert, but my dog is really sick, and might be on the path to being with her deceased brother. He only died maybe a month ago, and now it seems as if she is on her way out too. She will definitely be going to the vet today, so my detecting plans for the day had to be postponed. I've heard someone that a dogs spirit is broken very easy, and I believe shes depressed and upset without her brother, and maybe that's why she is giving up and getting sick. I could be wrong but, oh well. This probably doesn't belong in this forum, but I'm just rambling. Sorry haha

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had fun with my ace150 this summer. Found 122 bucks in clad and a few old coins too. I gotta say though im looking forward to an AT Pro in the spring. Im sure to be dumbfounded by all the targets my ace missed. You will enjoy the ace150 though. Its super easy to learn and use. I cant stress this enough...buy a pinpointer!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Deputy I have the ACE350 its not easy to learn. I have been detecting for about six months now, three with the bounty hunter505-d or something like that, cost about a $100 several years ago, set in my garage new for years until I found it while laid off work. The rest is history one true and died mder anyway I use the 350 as much as I can but my holes are too big, got to dig to deep etc,etc,.. I often go back to the bounty hunter or my beep and dig to satisfy my cravings to find something (mostly clad). there are times I will carry both machines the 350 to find the item and the BH almost as a pinpointer and confirmation that there is truly something there.If my son had not bought it as a gift the 350 may have been gone for something like a coinmaster or some other machine. The point is just because it costs more or has more bells and whistles does not necessarily make it better. Hope you are happy with the 150, happy hunting

Wow really? I had the exact opposite experience with the Ace 350. I found it very easy to learn and very easy to pinpoint with.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had fun with my ace150 this summer. Found 122 bucks in clad and a few old coins too. I gotta say though im looking forward to an AT Pro in the spring. Im sure to be dumbfounded by all the targets my ace missed. You will enjoy the ace150 though. Its super easy to learn and use. I cant stress this enough...buy a pinpointer!

I'm just curious, are you new to the hobby? You may have missed those finds only due to lack of experience :dontknow: I know this was the case for me in being lazy to dig some targets :laughing7:

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty new. I got mine back in the spring but hunted quiet a bit( got totally hooked after getting the propointer) up til couple days ago. Not much snow but frozen ground is pain in the arse. Done for the winter:( Im sure I missed a few targets along the way by being somewhat selective back at the begining. I know I passed over lots of pull tab signals which I hate myself now for, but live and learn(espeacially with help,tips, and info from you folks). I rarely dig iron signals though. Not much into relics(yet). As far as the machine itself, it picks up dimes up @ 3-4 inches, quarters at 6inches. Dug a couple a bit deeper, but not many. I just know that gosh darn 1st merc dime was always smiling knowing it was just out of reach. What a jerk! I will have one in my greedy mitts soon enough my friends...you guys wont get em all! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread