Has anyone else been harassed while they were metaling detecting?

Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was out detecting a local ballfield/park I figured it would be a good place because its kind of secluded and basicly not used in the winter months, I was ther for about a half hour and an older gentleman came up to me and asked me how I was doing and if I found anything, I told him no not yet and we proceeded to talk for a good 20 mins about how he was a coin collector,His service at the park and just life in general, He wished me luck and was on his way, Shortly after a car with blacked out windows pulled in the parking lot and parked off in the corner I continued to swing my detector enjoying the day, About 15 mins later the car backs up and a kid probably 18-26? Started yelling out the window at me "Hey look its a penny" and started throwing change out the window..I shrugged it off as some moron and figured it was over, well he came back and parked up on the street and was yellling down at me for a few minutes until I decided I better get out of there because I didnt know what he was capable of, So I walked slowly to my car and packed everything up in my trunk and sat in the car with the heat on to warm up hoping he would leave because there was only one way out of the park and he was pretty close to it and I was affraid he was going to block it..He left shortly after I got in my car so I go out of there and made sure nobody was following me....Never would I thought that I would get harassed while enjoying a "new" Hobby ( I have only been detecting a little over a month) Have any of you guys had similar experiences?? Is there anyone out there in the state of Connecticut? If so have you had anything like this happen to you?

Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im a 16 year old kid and you would be surpised on what kids get their kicks out of now. all you have to do is pick up your phone and say the cops are on their way. they will leave you alone..

So - I'm curious. What do they get their kicks out of now?

OP
OP
E
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizzly, I think thats what happened, I think they went there probably to do some drugs or something...But yes you are right, We never know who we are dealing with thats why I just left, I was just thinking today now that everyone is on edge around here I'm probably going to have to take school grounds off the list of spots to Metal detect even though I keep it to the weekend...

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was detecting with a buddy of mine in the woods next to a park once when three teenagers maybe 18-19(two boys and one girl) started yelling at me. I took my headphones off to hear what they were yelling but I couldn't make it out clearly but I know they were talking smack and laughing. Now I'm an over sized, easily irrated middle aged guy and wasn't about to take any crap from some young punks so I asked my friend to watch my detector. I sat it down with my headphones and proceeded to sprint full bore straight at these kids with an ill look on may face. I went crashing through those trees like a rabid T-rex an never said a word. let me tell you that nothing scares a teenager more than a pi$$ed of middleaged man coming right at them. They ran (in the words of Charlie Daniels) like their heads were on fire and their a$$es were catching. When I was young, adults didn't take any crap from kids and we shouldn't either. It only encourages them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better hope that a bigger bad a** doesn't call your bluff! Oh:censored:!!

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi--that happened on a beach. some college kids thru a coin out in front of me. they were giggling. i could see they were all excited about my reaction. when i hit the target i turned to them & said i was only doing jewelry today. they all got quiet. bob@northeast metal detectors

Rick-SeMI

Jan 18, 2012
Taylor, MI
Detector(s) used
<< Minelab Explorer XS >>
<< White's Spectrum XLT>>
<<<< Tesoro Tiger Shark >>
<<<< Fisher 1225X >>
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several years ago, at a local park a cop stopped at a call box behind me.
Didn't know until he asked if I had found any gold yet.
We spoke for a bit then he had to leave for the donut shop:)
Awhile later an old woman came close to where I was detecting and got really snotty with me and said I am NOT supposed to be doing that in the park.
This was while her dog, next to her, was doing number two's all over the place!!
I pointed that fact out to her and said at least I am covering my sh.. up :dontknow: She said she was going to call the cops.
I said go right ahead!! That's the only time I have had any harassment... Guess she thought better of calling the cops.
I picked up more coins in the two hours after she left :laughing9:

rgalan2003

Jun 14, 2005
pachuca mexico
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
deus xp v2.0,cscope 1220xd,yukon compass 77b(automatic and no automatic)nautilus IIB,teknetics mark I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times in Acapulco´s beaches

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the warm weather, we get hassled about twice a month. One time there were booths and stands set up in the park we like to go to. This lady came up to us and told us that we couldn't do that in the park, as she was renting it, she followed us around, and when we ignored her, she went to get another person. Then we had 2 busybodies following us, all the while getting more and more angry that we didn't stop. We had the last laugh when a cop was passing by and they complained to him. He came up, talked to us for a few minutes, told us good luck and walked away! we were almost rolling on the ground laughing at the looks on their faces as they realized we weren't in trouble!!!! They were so p#$$&d!!!! LOL Red

OP
OP
E
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think CT law states surface finds only no digging, Well at least thats the way it reads to me, I have been digging anyway... hahaa

skydog

Mar 16, 2011
tell them you just received a government contract to search for explosives as it used to be a top secret munitions plant.

SharkseatFish

Dec 25, 2012
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
2, one isn't even worth mentioning, but now Im using a lone star bounty hunter, haven't had a chance to find anything with it yet though.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i really hope this doesnt happen to me, im a 14 year old who just 'digs' metal detecting (get it?) and i have stupid worries that go like "well i hope nobody from my school see's me out here and thinks im a totally socially awkward nerd", but really do i give a damn about kids who listen to crappy music and wear slutty clothes? the answer is no, i dont. definetly dont take any judgement from someone who's new years resolution is to get lucky before 15. no way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread