HELP!!!

tunatango

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
I just got back home from my first hunt. Spent about 4-5 hours and found an old cat and a piece of scrap metal. It was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. I would keep getting signals but I would dig and find nothing. I am using a BH 303, in the all metal no motion mode. I would switch it to the notch mode to make sure I was getting a signal and I would. There was one spot where it said there was metal at about 6 inches....I dug down 6-8 inches, hooked up the 4 inch coil put it in the hole and it said 6 inches again. I also have a question about pinpointing. Do you use the inside of the coil or the outter edges. I would also pick-up signals that where big....about 6x6 in areas. Does anyone know if clay gives false signals? There was some about 2 inches into the dirt. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. Also do any of you us the BH 303? Do you like it? PLEASE ANYONE!!!!

Many Thanks

Upvote 0

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
First get out of the all metal mode! second put the detector in tone mode only dig solid signals no broken tones.

Set discrination at zero and senitivity at one o'clock I guarentee results!? 8)

Pinpointing is the very center of the coil.

In the all metal mode you will pick up everything and it will drive you nuts.

Clay isn't metal and will not give you a reading.

Onion

OP
OP
T

tunatango

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
Thanks for the advise....What is the problem with the all metal mode? I am sorry for all the questions, just really confused and frustrated. Thanks again

OP
OP
T

tunatango

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
At the farm, I was just looking for anything I could find really. I would love to find some civil war stuff, but I am not that advanced yet I guess. The cat that was not the greatest thing I have ever come across, I would say it had been barried awhile back...I thank you so much for you help, I can not wait to give it a try.

Thanks Again
Tuna Tango

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here's the thing about pinpointing, you have to practice. And the practice can be fun. Get yourself a sheet of cardboard and glue or tape targets on one side of it. Turn it over, lay it down and have at it! Now, I'd suggest finding that pinpoint spot under coil by poking through the cardboard where you think the target is. This is little different from sighting a gun, you keep working at it until you get your "groupings" down to what you consider an acceptable size. Do this with a variety of target configurations and machine settings. As you get better, raise your coil a little to simulate deeper targets.

Oh yeah, have a few friends over sometime and you're sitting around the backyard? Put them through the paces and make it a yard game as well. Might get you a new hunting partner! God luck and happy hunting!

H

histoplasmosis

I had the same problems with my 202 turned out to be a lot of the soil deposits in my area were reading with the sensitivity all the way up. I just had to mess with the settings a little bit to get it all squared away.

If you want some help with your settings for Bounty Hunter try posting on their forum the people there helped me out a lot.

http://www.detecting.com/forum/index.php <-- Bounty Hunter Forum.

OP
OP
T

tunatango

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
Well I do have one update.....I found out that I did find one thing also that weekend..POISON IVY. I dont know if it could get much worse. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread