9 volt vs AA

EMF

Dec 3, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Compadre 5.75" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed in my research for a metal detector that the low end ones all use 9 volt batteries, some like Bounty Hunter even require two 9 volts. Go up in grade and they switch to 4 AAs and on to 8 AAs in some of the minelabs.

What is the reason for this? I know 9 volts are expensive if it only has a 10 hour + battery life. The ones that use 4 AAs boast a 20- 40 hour battery life.

Maybe First Texas gets a commission on 9 volt battery sales.

I also found a neat tool for comparing metal detectors

MetalDetectorComparison.com

Upvote 0

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We have found that buying the very best unit that you can afford in the long run will actually save you money. If you start out with a low end unit immediately you are going to want to upgrade it. Plus if you decide that metal detecting is not for you at some point a high end unit is going to be a lot easier to sell than a starter unit.

As far as batteries go every manufacturer uses a different configuration of batteries to efficiently operate their equipment. Its like "what color is the horse?" It doesn't matter what color it is its having the horse thats important. The batteries are superfluous. We have a White Sierra Madre that takes AA's, a White 808 that takes C's and a pulse induction that is Ni-Cad rechargeable battery pack. Our LRL takes a 9 volt.

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a couple of bounty hunters and I bought bulk 40 9-volt duracells on ebay. They ran me about $1.10 a piece. Alot better that $14.00 for 4 of them a wal-mart. I also found that the duracells are way better that any other brand of battery, they honestly last twice as long.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you use Rechargeable 9 volts in metal detectors?

OP
OP
E

EMF

Dec 3, 2012
Corbin, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Compadre 5.75" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you can, I would just look for as high MAH rating as you can find so they last longer, although 9v batteries don't have as high MAH as AAs.

My curiousity over the batteries though was why 9 volts (BH X 2 9v) in the cheap metal detectors and AAs in the expensive ones. Maybe a difference in the circuit boards, cheaper to build one for a 9 volt? Or is it simply because the low ends don't have the bells and whistles of a high end and don't require the power of AA to run them?

You can look at each brand of metal detector and as you go up in price they lose the 9 volt and switch to AA batteries.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, here is how it all started. The first transistor circuits used transistors that worked on 5V. The next generation worked on 12V. The 5V circuits were plagued with problems in the connectors. 12V can overcome a bad connector where 5V cant. The ballgame has changed today. The most modern boards have the circuits embedded in them. So what counts now? Size of the battery and weight of the battery. Todays circuits use far less power than the older ones, and integration of the circuits has made them smaller. So it has gotten to the point where size and weight of the batteries are a determining factor. My first 2 Box detector used battery packs that weighed over a pound. The 2 Box I use today uses 2 9v batteries. The shelf life of batteries today is measured in years, so buy in bulk. In my MH I carry 2 boxes each of 9V,AA,AAA & D batteries. I only use Duracell's. Hope this helps you out Frank

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Gold Bug Pro uses 9 V batteries. The people I know that use them to prospect for gold would disagree that the type of battery used relates to if its low end or not (they have found natural gold with them). The weight of a detector is pretty important to me (I find those using heavy battery packs just tire you out quicker). Many of the Bounty Hunters use 9 V batteries - Many are entry level models, but they have higher end models too. My Tesoro Compadre uses as single 9 V battery (It has a single knob and no meter of any sort) - it's not expensive at all - It's also an exceptionally good detector.

Some types of detectors (like the Pulse Induction detectors) tend to have heavier battery packs - they need bigger batteries to work (MineLabs PI detectors provide capabilities that no VLF detector can compete with). My Whites GMT is a great Gold hunting detector, but personally, I feel it's too heavy (aa batteries) to swing all day long.

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can not use rechargeable batteries in a Fisher CZ-20, which takes 4 - 9 volt batteries to run. Those batteries would last 160 - 180 hours of hunting time before they croaked. NiCads yield less voltage than alkaline 9 volt batteries, and WILL damage the electronics if used.

The cheapest place I've found for batteries is an outfit out of California called All-Battery.com, AKA Tenergy. I bought 10 CR 123A Lithium 3v batteries for $9.90. They sell carded in Walmart, Home Depot, etc for $6.97 each, or $13.87 for 2. I had to replace 7 wireless alarm system batteries that were installed in February of 2006, so even with the $10.00 they charged me for shipping, I still made out. The more you buy, the cheaper they are.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A word of warning, all of those 6V batteries are not made that way. It can get very messy opening up some. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

bug1958

Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fisher CZ 75 that I've been using for the past 4 years and I can get an easy 35-40 hours of use out oif the 2 9volts. I have found that the duracells last the longest. And as far as saying cheap detectors are powered by 9 volts doesn't seem to be true because I don't think that 900 and some odd dollars is cheap for a metal detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread