Treasure Hunting in China?

F

fahrenheit

Metal detecting in Asia. You're a lucky person!

Consider Asia and its rich history...wow...

hmm...I have posted questions about bringing MD oversea especially to Asia. Can you take it apart and pack in your luggage? Get pass the airport security and their check points/searches with all that!

I am planning to go visit Asia country in October 2005. I think the people there have seen MD for detecting land mines!

May need to call travel agent. Are there MD dealers in china? Probably ask the authority there if you can use it safely.

Isn't china a Communist country? Shoot first ask questions later.... ???

Let me know how your trip went. Love to hear more afterward.

fahrenheit

OP
OP
Doug Mauck

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
I've planned that if I ever take my MD on an airplane, I'll take it apart into three pieces and pack them separately. The coil could go in carry-on. The control head in one parcel and the handle assembly in another. I'd separate it to cut down on the chance it would be stolen from luggage as it might be if it were fully assembled and recognizable as an MD. I would be hoping to find bronze arrowheads, etc. in China, but I don't know if it would be legal to bring them back with me.

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
My Garrett GTI-2500 breaks down nicely in several pices. I got a premium bag with it (semi-hardcase) that holds the detector, shaft, 2 coils and headphones fit into the bag too.. With plenty of extra pockets for batteries, etc...

The whole thing would easily fit in the overhead compartment of most airplanes....

Have a great trip -- I've never left the country except for Canada..

F

fahrenheit

I know you can take the MD apart into pieces. You can put them into a carry on bag pack and the rest in the luggage.

What about the security check at the airport? Will they questions or deny the electronic parts. I am sure it will show on the X-ray machine at the check point.

The 3 piece pole alone would consider a 'lethal' weapon if you carry on board. Wouldn't it?

maybe I am just paranoid.

What part of the MD would you carry on board in a bag Pack with you?

What part would you put it in your Luggage??

now I am anxious about visiting asia in the Fall with my MD.

fahrenheit

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know a chinese guy runs a guess what kind of food store?yep,anyway i asked him whats the deal with travel to china what to take etc?he takes a small toiltetry bag soap t.p.etc no bags no clothes etc?i asked why no bags no clothes etc?he said it so dirt cheap for everything made their he just buys all the things he needs or want a cd player is like 10 dollars for top notch stuff an umbrella like5 cents so just think of it as like shopping at walmart(in china)no diff. really all their stuff made their anyway!!youll get it 90 percent cheaper!just think bring home a whole new wardrobe electrics toys detector jewelry travel bags etc be sure to take all the tags of so you dont have to pay "duddy"tax!
dont take my word ask around some one whos been to the country!!my 2 cents dekalb33 ;D

H

histoplasmosis

Detecting there might be an issue. They won't let any scientists study some of their ancient sites. Different culture different place GL.

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
fahrenheit said:
What part of the MD would you carry on board in a bag Pack with you?

fahrenheit

For my one carry on bag, I'd choose my detector!!! I'll run the risk of not having any clean undies when I got there if my luggage got lost!!! :)
Or I could stuff a few pair in the detector bag.... Hmmmm

I'll be taking my detector to Florida at the end of February... I don't have any other trips scheduled before that -- but that could change at a moments notice... I'll see what happens..

Garrett

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread