Advice on these two detectors
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Advice on these two detectors

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    7 times

Advice on these two detectors

Ok ... With help from many of you I have narrowed down to either mine lab safari or the 705! Now I need all of you guys to push me in the right direction! Have used Whites for 30 years . I just have heard so much good about mine lab. I mostly search for coins, relics. Thanks inadvance.

us
    Oct 2012
    Wisc
    864 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by meb9054 View Post
    Ok ... With help from many of you I have narrowed down to either mine lab safari or the 705!
    The Safari is heavy and awkward. The 705 isn't an "upgrade" to what you have.

I just have heard so much good about mine lab.
    Told ya not to drink the kool aid! It's not all good about ML. But it sounds like your mind is made up! Oh well!

Now I need all of you guys to push me in the right direction! Have used Whites for 30 years .
    Easy, get another Whites!

us
    owner

Dec 2007
    altamont, ny
    white's, garrett, xp, makro
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    what can i say. you were a 30 year white's guy. I'm a white's guy. everybody loves their detector. go with the reviews & make a decision. bob@northeast
    Sandman likes this.

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    104 times
    Until recently, I was not a big fan of the Safari. I felt it lacked to much that you can get on the Etrac for just a little more.

Then I sold one to a customer who turned out to be more of a novice than he thought. Working with him the Safari was easy to pick up and understand. It is a fantastic intro to the Explorer series.

The Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; if you had one bullet and one target the Minelab would be a bolt action where others are pump action. They both have a good chance of hitting, the accuracy and stability just go in favor of the Minelab.
    Sandman likes this.

May 2012
    7 times
    Thanks for your help ! I'm sure getting varying opinions !

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    402 times
    I hunt with a guy who has a safari and one with an etrac. Both r pulling silver like there's no tomorrow. I'm gonna purchase a safari bc I can't swing the Money for an etrac. Both are amazing machine's.

us
    Oct 2012
    Wisc
    864 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosensack View Post
    The Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; if you had one bullet and one target the Minelab would be a bolt action where others are pump action. They both have a good chance of hitting, the accuracy and stability just go in favor of the Minelab.
    Yep, true the Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; Minelab may get the 12in silver coin but you'll only cover 1/4 the amount of ground. While other detectors have already picked 3-4 other silvers down to 11.9in.

I take deep and fast over slow and deep any day. Not to mention iron falsing AND masking!

May 2012
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fella

Yep, true the Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; Minelab may get the 12in silver coin but you'll only cover 1/4 the amount of ground. While other detectors have already picked 3-4 other silvers down to 11.9in.

I take deep and fast over slow and deep any day. Not to mention iron falsing AND masking!
    So what detector do you recommend ?

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    402 times
    I was kicking the idea of an mxt pro but thought they were on the heavy side.

But also I watch guys including many self cover a bunch of ground and tge minelab come behind me and pull silve. Now I'm only swinging an ace250. But its always better to move slow so u don't miss something.

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    1357 times
    Get the safari or find a used explorer and don't look back. Anyone telling you you they won't find targets in iron is feeding you something and it aint kool aid.

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    104 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fella View Post

How long did you keep(try,learn) your Minelab? Many people are happy swinging and going home with a few nice targets on the majority of hunts, some want to take the time to "clean out" a spot going over every nook and cranny meticulously search for all that is there, that is what the Minelabs are great for. If you are at a competition hunt you would(may) naturally want a faster swing speed. Or if you are one of the many happy with going out and having a good time still getting some nice targets then there is a broad range of machines that fit that bill. If you want to get as much as possible out of a spot and dedicate the time to do it the Minelabs are a top choice.

That is why it is a matter of opinion(style). Not because of some cult following trying to convince everyone. Are there Minelab snobs? Yes. Does that fact take away from Minelabs abilities? No. It means they are snobs using a very good machine.
    Treasure_Hunter and Sandman like this.

May 2012
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosensack

How long did you keep(try,learn) your Minelab? Many people are happy swinging and going home with a few nice targets on the majority of hunts, some want to take the time to "clean out" a spot going over every nook and cranny meticulously search for all that is there, that is what the Minelabs are great for. If you are at a competition hunt you would(may) naturally want a faster swing speed. Or if you are one of the many happy with going out and having a good time still getting some nice targets then there is a broad range of machines that fit that bill. If you want to get as much as possible out of a spot and dedicate the time to do it the Minelabs are a top choice.

That is why it is a matter of opinion(style). Not because of some cult following trying to convince everyone. Are there Minelab snobs? Yes. Does that fact take away from Minelabs abilities? No. It means they are snobs using a very good machine.
    I am just a guy who wants a top notch coin shooter / relic machine for a great time in the outdoors. No competition meets nothing like that, just a great machine that works well! I'm retired now an have more time now to go out by myself an hunt old home sites/ graveyards!

us
    Oct 2012
    Wisc
    864 times
    Metal Detecting
    So what detector do you recommend ?
    I went through the grass must be greener on the other side recently and I got a Minelab E-Trac. I already had a Whites MXT Pro, Tesoro Outlaw & a couple of entry level Whites & Garretts. It never found anything my MXTP wouldn't have.
    Admittedly I never became what I'd call proficient with the ET but I learned enough that I didn't like it and never was going to. The weight and balance on it horrible. And that's being nice! Combine that with the ridiculous fluty tones and I just never wanted to use it. I tried, I wanted to learn to like it but just couldn't.
    What would I recommend? What's you price range? I would think that only you can make that decision. BTW, the grass isn't greener. It's just a different shade!

Quote Originally Posted by dholland02 View Post
    I was kicking the idea of an mxt pro but thought they were on the heavy side.

But also I watch guys including many self cover a bunch of ground and tge minelab come behind me and pull silve. Now I'm only swinging an ace250. But its always better to move slow so u don't miss something.
    The MXT Pro is a GREAT machine. I didn't realize how good it was/is until I used other top detectors. The MXT Pro with D2 coil is a sweet sweet unit!
    It is a bit hefty 4+lbs but it is balanced pretty well. Not at all like the ML E-Trac/Safari which is actually lighter but its balance sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtscratcher View Post
    Get the safari or find a used explorer and don't look back. Anyone telling you you they won't find targets in iron is feeding you something and it aint kool aid.
    Not saying you can't find targets amongst iron it's just harder. Plenty of vids/reviews out there showing this "weakness". Anyone telling you any different is feeding you something and its probably kool aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosensack View Post
    Agreed!
    Last edited by fella; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

May 2012
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fella
    I went through the grass must be greener on the other side recently and I got a Minelab E-Trac. I already had a Whites MXT Pro, Tesoro Outlaw & a couple of entry level Whites & Garretts. It never found anything my MXTP wouldn't have.
    Admittedly I never became what I'd call proficient with the ET but I learned enough that I didn't like it and never was going to. The weight and balance on it horrible. And that's being nice! Combine that with the ridiculous fluty tones and I just never wanted to use it. I tried, I wanted to learn to like it but just couldn't.
    What would I recommend? What's you price range? I would think that only you can make that decision. BTW, the grass isn't greener. It's just a different shade!

The MXT Pro is a GREAT machine. I didn't realize how good it was/is until I used other top detectors. The MXT Pro with D2 coil is a sweet sweet unit!
    It is a bit hefty 4+lbs but it is balanced pretty well. Not at all like the ML E-Trac/Safari which is actually lighter but its balance sucks!

Not saying you can't find targets amongst iron it's just harder. Plenty of vids/reviews out there showing this "weakness". Anyone telling you any different is feeding you something and its probably kool aid.
    I spend any amount if it will do what I want! Find coins an relics! No salt water use, I live in so. Il / mo area, good soil!

us
    Oct 2012
    Wisc
    864 times
    Metal Detecting
    I spend any amount if it will do what I want! Find coins an relics! No salt water use, I live in so. Il / mo area, good soil!
    I don't want to put you off on ML totally. They make great machines as evident by the multitudes that use and love em. I, along with many others, have had a different experience with them. Also, I am basing this all on ONE Minelab E-Trac that I had.

You're a 30yr Whites guy. Why change? You are familiar with Whites, stick with Whites. The more familiar you are with something the better off you'll be IMO. You currently have an Eagle Spectrum correct? What's wrong with that? I hear they're great machines. You may not need to spend $ unnecessarily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links