May 16, 2012
Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok ... With help from many of you I have narrowed down to either mine lab safari or the 705!
The Safari is heavy and awkward. The 705 isn't an "upgrade" to what you have.

I just have heard so much good about mine lab.
Told ya not to drink the kool aid! It's not all good about ML. But it sounds like your mind is made up! Oh well!

Now I need all of you guys to push me in the right direction! Have used Whites for 30 years .
Easy, get another Whites!

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what can i say. you were a 30 year white's guy. I'm a white's guy. everybody loves their detector. go with the reviews & make a decision. bob@northeast

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until recently, I was not a big fan of the Safari. I felt it lacked to much that you can get on the Etrac for just a little more.

Then I sold one to a customer who turned out to be more of a novice than he thought. Working with him the Safari was easy to pick up and understand. It is a fantastic intro to the Explorer series.

The Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; if you had one bullet and one target the Minelab would be a bolt action where others are pump action. They both have a good chance of hitting, the accuracy and stability just go in favor of the Minelab.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Thanks for your help ! I'm sure getting varying opinions !

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a guy who has a safari and one with an etrac. Both r pulling silver like there's no tomorrow. I'm gonna purchase a safari bc I can't swing the Money for an etrac. Both are amazing machine's.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; if you had one bullet and one target the Minelab would be a bolt action where others are pump action. They both have a good chance of hitting, the accuracy and stability just go in favor of the Minelab.

Yep, true the Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; Minelab may get the 12in silver coin but you'll only cover 1/4 the amount of ground. While other detectors have already picked 3-4 other silvers down to 11.9in.

I take deep and fast over slow and deep any day. Not to mention iron falsing AND masking!

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
fella said:
Yep, true the Minelab "kool aid" is a matter of opinion. The best way to explain it is; Minelab may get the 12in silver coin but you'll only cover 1/4 the amount of ground. While other detectors have already picked 3-4 other silvers down to 11.9in.

I take deep and fast over slow and deep any day. Not to mention iron falsing AND masking!

So what detector do you recommend ?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was kicking the idea of an mxt pro but thought they were on the heavy side.

But also I watch guys including many self cover a bunch of ground and tge minelab come behind me and pull silve. Now I'm only swinging an ace250. But its always better to move slow so u don't miss something.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the safari or find a used explorer and don't look back. Anyone telling you you they won't find targets in iron is feeding you something and it aint kool aid.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How long did you keep(try,learn) your Minelab? Many people are happy swinging and going home with a few nice targets on the majority of hunts, some want to take the time to "clean out" a spot going over every nook and cranny meticulously search for all that is there, that is what the Minelabs are great for. If you are at a competition hunt you would(may) naturally want a faster swing speed. Or if you are one of the many happy with going out and having a good time still getting some nice targets then there is a broad range of machines that fit that bill. If you want to get as much as possible out of a spot and dedicate the time to do it the Minelabs are a top choice.

That is why it is a matter of opinion(style). Not because of some cult following trying to convince everyone. Are there Minelab snobs? Yes. Does that fact take away from Minelabs abilities? No. It means they are snobs using a very good machine.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Hosensack said:
How long did you keep(try,learn) your Minelab? Many people are happy swinging and going home with a few nice targets on the majority of hunts, some want to take the time to "clean out" a spot going over every nook and cranny meticulously search for all that is there, that is what the Minelabs are great for. If you are at a competition hunt you would(may) naturally want a faster swing speed. Or if you are one of the many happy with going out and having a good time still getting some nice targets then there is a broad range of machines that fit that bill. If you want to get as much as possible out of a spot and dedicate the time to do it the Minelabs are a top choice.

That is why it is a matter of opinion(style). Not because of some cult following trying to convince everyone. Are there Minelab snobs? Yes. Does that fact take away from Minelabs abilities? No. It means they are snobs using a very good machine.

I am just a guy who wants a top notch coin shooter / relic machine for a great time in the outdoors. No competition meets nothing like that, just a great machine that works well! I'm retired now an have more time now to go out by myself an hunt old home sites/ graveyards!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what detector do you recommend ?
I went through the grass must be greener on the other side recently and I got a Minelab E-Trac. I already had a Whites MXT Pro, Tesoro Outlaw & a couple of entry level Whites & Garretts. It never found anything my MXTP wouldn't have.
Admittedly I never became what I'd call proficient with the ET but I learned enough that I didn't like it and never was going to. The weight and balance on it horrible. And that's being nice! Combine that with the ridiculous fluty tones and I just never wanted to use it. I tried, I wanted to learn to like it but just couldn't.
What would I recommend? What's you price range? I would think that only you can make that decision. BTW, the grass isn't greener. It's just a different shade!

I was kicking the idea of an mxt pro but thought they were on the heavy side.

But also I watch guys including many self cover a bunch of ground and tge minelab come behind me and pull silve. Now I'm only swinging an ace250. But its always better to move slow so u don't miss something.
The MXT Pro is a GREAT machine. I didn't realize how good it was/is until I used other top detectors. The MXT Pro with D2 coil is a sweet sweet unit!
It is a bit hefty 4+lbs but it is balanced pretty well. Not at all like the ML E-Trac/Safari which is actually lighter but its balance sucks!

Get the safari or find a used explorer and don't look back. Anyone telling you you they won't find targets in iron is feeding you something and it aint kool aid.

Not saying you can't find targets amongst iron it's just harder. Plenty of vids/reviews out there showing this "weakness". Anyone telling you any different is feeding you something and its probably kool aid.

Agreed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
fella said:
I went through the grass must be greener on the other side recently and I got a Minelab E-Trac. I already had a Whites MXT Pro, Tesoro Outlaw & a couple of entry level Whites & Garretts. It never found anything my MXTP wouldn't have.
Admittedly I never became what I'd call proficient with the ET but I learned enough that I didn't like it and never was going to. The weight and balance on it horrible. And that's being nice! Combine that with the ridiculous fluty tones and I just never wanted to use it. I tried, I wanted to learn to like it but just couldn't.
What would I recommend? What's you price range? I would think that only you can make that decision. BTW, the grass isn't greener. It's just a different shade!

The MXT Pro is a GREAT machine. I didn't realize how good it was/is until I used other top detectors. The MXT Pro with D2 coil is a sweet sweet unit!
It is a bit hefty 4+lbs but it is balanced pretty well. Not at all like the ML E-Trac/Safari which is actually lighter but its balance sucks!

Not saying you can't find targets amongst iron it's just harder. Plenty of vids/reviews out there showing this "weakness". Anyone telling you any different is feeding you something and its probably kool aid.

I spend any amount if it will do what I want! Find coins an relics! No salt water use, I live in so. Il / mo area, good soil!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spend any amount if it will do what I want! Find coins an relics! No salt water use, I live in so. Il / mo area, good soil!

I don't want to put you off on ML totally. They make great machines as evident by the multitudes that use and love em. I, along with many others, have had a different experience with them. Also, I am basing this all on ONE Minelab E-Trac that I had.

You're a 30yr Whites guy. Why change? You are familiar with Whites, stick with Whites. The more familiar you are with something the better off you'll be IMO. You currently have an Eagle Spectrum correct? What's wrong with that? I hear they're great machines. You may not need to spend $ unnecessarily.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
fella said:
I don't want to put you off on ML totally. They make great machines as evident by the multitudes that use and love em. I, along with many others, have had a different experience with them. Also, I am basing this all on ONE Minelab E-Trac that I had.

You're a 30yr Whites guy. Why change? You are familiar with Whites, stick with Whites. The more familiar you are with something the better off you'll be IMO. You currently have an Eagle Spectrum correct? What's wrong with that? I hear they're great machines. You may not need to spend $ unnecessarily.

I simply want a new , more modern detector an want to try a diff detector ! I'm selling two of my whites on eBay now.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I simply want a new , more modern detector an want to try a diff detector !

I can relate to that!

Lots of good tectors out there by all the brands. The Teknetics G2/T2, Fisher F75 look intriguing. But I'll probably end up with the XP Deus as my next one.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
fella said:
I can relate to that!

Lots of good tectors out there by all the brands. The Teknetics G2/T2, Fisher F75 look intriguing. But I'll probably end up with the XP Deus as my next one.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

That I will !

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see in other threads you are also considering a Garrett AT Pro. I keep "threatening" to buy one too.
Really like the idea of being able to get it wet.(to 10 ft anyway)

HH

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
fella said:
I see in other threads you are also considering a Garrett AT Pro. I keep "threatening" to buy one too.
Really like the idea of being able to get it wet.(to 10 ft anyway)

HH

I'm leaning towards the gold right now, everyone has been very helpful ! I looked the fisher 75, man there are so many great ones out there and I really do appreciate everyone's help and input in helping me !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread